Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
what exactly does personality aside mean ?
Not to speak for Semper, but I think he mans that Bruno has as great personality (funny, clever, smart), but aside from that he's a great coach and that's another reason he is liked.

I think he's in a great place. the NBE is incredibly weak. Depaul, SJU and Marquette are probably the 3 teams who have historically been the best, and will likely continue to be so in the coming years. Nova and Creighton could make some noise in any given year, but Depaul should be the king of that league for many years to come. Bruno is a solid recruiter and a terrific coach and is in an area that is a good draw for kids as well as basketball players. I know he would compete regionally against ND and tOSU etc in that area, but he's proven to be really good at finding talent not necessarily in the top 10 that still is really good.

As a side note, I'm a bit surprised that Tonya at Temple hasn't been able to sort of duplicate the kind of success that Doug enjoys. I don't think Depaul is necessarily a better school (not sure about that though), but Temple seems to be of the same "mold" so to speak.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Well, what I meant was top five favorite coaches, NOT counting personalities. I like him tremendously. So does this make sense now?...I put him there for skill alone and not because I think he is such a cool person.

Reaction Score
How is it that Coach Bruno gets such high praise on this board? He has not won squat in his career. Now, I do not doubt that he might very well be a good coach, but based upon criteria established for other highly criticized coaches, what is that that is seen in Coach Bruno that merits such high praise? I repeat, he has not won squat. And, he has not recruited a top ballplayer out of Chicago in his entire tenure at DePaul. There cannot be more people anywhere that know Chicago better.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How is it that Coach Bruno gets such high praise on this board? He has not won squat in his career. Now, I do not doubt that he might very well be a good coach, but based upon criteria established for other highly criticized coaches, what is that that is seen in Coach Bruno that merits such high praise? I repeat, he has not won squat. And, he has not recruited a top ballplayer out of Chicago in his entire tenure at DePaul. There cannot be more people anywhere that know Chicago better.
Partly because Geno keeps choosing Bruno to assist with the National team. So, If Geno thinks Bruno is a good coach....

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm just thinking about games I've seen him play against us and the choices he makes. Maya outfoxed him once though! You can tell from what he says that he's very sensitive about recruiting. Watching the games with him coaching against Geno were such fun! That's all I know...not much, admittedly, and now I can't even watch games anymore. :(

Reaction Score
He is still liked because he has not beaten UConn as successfully as ND. Remember the UConn fan used to like Muffet? Once the tide change slightly, he will be liked less..... Cheers!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Bruno has made 3 Sweet Sixteen appearances in nine years. He does not get commitments from the top/elite players. He has never had a McDonald's All-American. Yet he runs his system and has been very successful, in that his players improve and develop under his tutelage.

Yes, recruiting is a part of coaching. He could certainly do more to attract the best in-state players (though DePaul does not have good facilities at all). That is arguably a weak point in terms of evaluating his performance. But in terms of his Xs and Os and his individual player development, he has demonstrated that he is a very good coach.

Reaction Score
This board likes Geno's friends (until they start getting a little snarky - like Muffett). Sherri Coale, Harry Perretta, etc etc

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This board likes Geno's friends (until they start getting a little snarky - like Muffett). Sherri Coale, Harry Perretta, etc etc

Muffett is right on the devious line. Not a fan of the whole "they're ducking us". That's bush league.

Reaction Score
The responses are appreciated. Those who like, support, respect, and thoroughly believe that he is a good coach hold Coach Bruno to a different standard. Having just researched the past six years of the NCAA Tournament, until DePaul's recent victory over an injury depleted Duke, DePaul hadnever beaten a higher seeded team in the tournament. Not as a 10 seed, not as an 11 seed and lost as a 3 seed to second seeded Duke in 2011. So, if I am to be convinced that he is a good coach, please provide better ammunition than his friend choosing him and using his influence to get him national team gigs, dubious development of players, Xs and Os(what the hell does that mean?), and whatever other criteria used to evaluate him positively. If Coach Bruno gets credit for 3 sweet sixteen appearances in 9 years, then how does Coach Hatchell, Coach Stringer, and Coach McCallie fare so poorly in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom