Doug Bruno: "Enjoy it while we can, because here comes UConn" | The Boneyard

Doug Bruno: "Enjoy it while we can, because here comes UConn"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno after today's three-peat Big East tournament title.

His comments start at 1:45.

Also interviewed are Chante Stonewall, Lexi Held and Kelly Campbell, each of whom had great games in helping DePaul to a decisive victory today.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the real time programming, they were commenting a little in the booth and I think it was a little bit uncomfortable for them because one of the booth announcers was a former DePaul player (don't know the name)

While Bruno may relish the challenge, not sure all the DePaul alumnae will be happy their unique position is going to disappear:eek:

Plebe

Reaction Score
In the real time programming, they were commenting a little in the booth and I think it was a little bit uncomfortable for them because one of the booth announcers was a former DePaul player (don't know the name)

While Bruno may relish the challenge, not sure all the DePaul alumnae will be happy their unique position is going to disappear:eek:
Sarah Kustok, played at DePaul 2000-04. She's a gem.

I'd be surprised if Sarah didn't reflect the fully welcoming stance of her beloved former coach, Doug Bruno, toward UConn's return to the conference. I've heard her speak in only the most eloquent and glowing terms about UConn and Geno in the past.

If any coach or competitor in the Big East doesn't want the elevated conference profile and level of competition that UConn will bring, they're in the wrong line of work to begin with IMHO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sarah Kustok, played at DePaul 2000-04. She's a gem.

I'd be surprised if Sarah didn't reflect the fully welcoming stance of her beloved former coach, Doug Bruno, toward UConn's return to the conference. I've heard her speak in only the most eloquent and glowing terms about UConn and Geno in the past.

If any coach or competitor in the Big East doesn't want the elevated conference profile and level of competition that UConn will bring, they're in the wrong line of work to begin with IMHO.

Thanks for the name. I love Sarah for her work with the Brooklyn Nets.

Reaction Score
Just a note on this subject: conversely, the coaches of the AAC must be delighted that UConn is gone because teams like Cincinatti, USF, and UCF will now have a chance to win the Tournament Title and get a bid to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
While some coaches like the ones from Cincinnati and UCF will not be upset by Uconn leaving the coach from USF is not pleased about it he has said that even though he has never beat Uconn he likes to play against the best to help them get better, and also has stated Uconn was good for their league

Reaction Score
While some coaches like the ones from Cincinnati and UCF will not be upset by Uconn leaving the coach from USF is not pleased about it he has said that even though he has never beat Uconn he likes to play against the best to help them get better, and also has stated Uconn was good for their league

UConn wasn't just good for the league, it was the league. Honestly, how much coverage would the AAC have received the past 7 years if UConn wasn't in the league? As much as the Big South? The remaining teams in the AAC will miss UConn if they care about playing on a national stage.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Not to mention SOS.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Why, the DePaul alumni can still watch the team make the final every year...winning it, well that's another issue altogether...:rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
If there is any coach out there who, given the choice between coaching in a multi-bid league or a one-bid league, would choose the latter, then they are a pathetic, narrow-minded fool who should quit the profession and go sell insurance.

Doug Bruno gets it and embraces it. I'm sure Jim Flanery, Megan Duffy, etc. also get it. As Villanova prepares to hire Harry's replacement, I'm hopeful that it'll be a growth-minded up-and-comer who also gets it.

Any D-I head coach worth their name should have it as their goal to get their program to a level where they don't need the automatic bid to get into the NCAA tournament. If you're a top 25 or even a top 40 program, you won't need the auto bid.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
UConn wasn't just good for the league, it was the league. Honestly, how much coverage would the AAC have received the past 7 years if UConn wasn't in the league? As much as the Big South? The remaining teams in the AAC will miss UConn if they care about playing on a national stage.
the league doesn't revolve around WCBB, solid football league

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It’s a shame UCONN was never able to get into a power 5 conference tbh.
No chance now, going to the Big East stops any chance of that happening.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If there is any coach out there who, given the choice between coaching in a multi-bid league or a one-bid league, would choose the latter, then they are a pathetic, narrow-minded fool who should quit the profession and go sell insurance.

Doug Bruno gets it and embraces it. I'm sure Jim Flanery, Megan Duffy, etc. also get it. As Villanova prepares to hire Harry's replacement, I'm hopeful that it'll be a growth-minded up-and-comer who also gets it.

Any D-I head coach worth their name should have it as their goal to get their program to a level where they don't need the automatic bid to get into the NCAA tournament. If you're a top 25 or even a top 40 program, you won't need the auto bid.
More than likely the Big East will be a 2 bid league. Every team will have 2 more losses next year. DePaul is graduating a lot so maybe only one next year.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn was good for the AAC League. But the AAC League was terrible for UConn.
Just stop with being totally invested in thinking next year's Big East is 2012's Big East. The Big East is a men's basketball conference.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Understood, but the conversation was about women’s basketball.
You did say it was the league, not it was the women's part of the league. I was being very literal.

Plebe

Reaction Score
More than likely the Big East will be a 2 bid league. Every team will have 2 more losses next year. DePaul is graduating a lot so maybe only one next year.
Having 2 or 3 losses to a top 10 team is never under any circumstance a liability to a resume. At worst the effect is neutral. More likely it elevates the entire conference's RPI, which has a positive ripple effect on other teams' prospects.

DePaul seems to never go away. They lost some key players last year and I thought they'd take a step back, but they turned out even better this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

maddd.gif

Come on man... Leave the Big South and the MEAC outta this ... and the SoCon.

Reaction Score
UConn's return to the Big East will help everyone. The teams' strength of schedule will go up. A win win.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Having 2 or 3 losses to a top 10 team is never under any circumstance a liability to a resume. At worst the effect is neutral. More likely it elevates the entire conference's RPI, which has a positive ripple effect on other teams' prospects.

DePaul seems to never go away. They lost some key players last year and I thought they'd take a step back, but they turned out even better this year.
Every other team will have besides DePaul will have double digit losses, not getting in. DePaul losing 2 best overall players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No chance now, going to the Big East stops any chance of that happening.
Disagree. First, further conference realignment is very unlikely. It was driven by media money and that bubble appears to have burst. That said, languishing in the American was not going to enhance our P5 chances. Going to the Big East helps us showcase our strengths, including both basketball programs.

Connecticut has put together pretty attractive schedule for football as an independent. That gives the program visibility. The key now is to begin winning those games. But the mere fact that we are playing teams that people care about should help attendance.

Our $40 million athletic department deficit was unsustainable, and did not make us attractive as an expansion candidate. Our Big East affiliation helps that on a lot of levels. It’s good for our brand. We will make more conference media money, particularly on a net basis. Our travel budget is anticipated to decrease by $2 million a year. Football is going to make as much money in a single game ($1.95 million) then the football share of our entire American media contract for an entire year.

I was very hesitant about moving to the new Big East, but by every available metric it seems to be the best choice by a wide margin.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom