Double Standard JC vs JB | The Boneyard

Double Standard JC vs JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Maybe I have tunnel vision on the topic, but why does everyone from fans to the media talk incessantly about Coach Calhoun retiring, but you rarely here about Boheims shelf life? Zags had a small article today about A recruits AAU coach being impressed the Cuse head coach made some time to talk about the Future at Cuse. Whats there to say? JB has limited time left just like JC. They have a coach picked out who I have No clue if he's +/- some of the Young minds this board gets giddy about. Why do the Cuse get a pass, yet UConn's always under the microscope of Blowing up post Calhoun? Will both coaches be watching from a skybox like John Thompson does? Which school can do a better job convincing youngsters their HOF coaches will be around, in some capacity, Forever?

Reaction Score
Maybe I have tunnel vision on the topic, but why does everyone from fans to the media talk incessantly about Coach Calhoun retiring, but you rarely here about Boheims shelf life? Zags had a small article today about A recruits AAU coach being impressed the Cuse head coach made some time to talk about the Future at Cuse. Whats there to say? JB has limited time left just like JC. They have a coach picked out who I have No clue if he's +/- some of the Young minds this board gets giddy about. Why do the Cuse get a pass, yet UConn's always under the microscope of Blowing up post Calhoun? Will both coaches be watching from a skybox like John Thompson does? Which school can do a better job convincing youngsters their HOF coaches will be around, in some capacity, Forever?

JC has had more health problems, he can't seem to stay out of the hospital. Boeheim hasn't had any issues for a few years following the prostate stuff.

Reality is all the legendary coaches are getting near the end. JC is just a few years older and a lot more banged up. His fitness level is very high though and I don't think most people realize JC is in incredible shape. He might be able to outlast the guys in their 60's if he really wanted to.

caw

Reaction Score
JC has had more health problems, he can't seem to stay out of the hospital. Boeheim hasn't had any issues for a few years following the prostate stuff.

Reality is all the legendary coaches are getting near the end. JC is just a few years older and a lot more banged up. His fitness level is very high though and I don't think most people realize JC is in incredible shape. He might be able to outlast the guys in their 60's if he really wanted to.

This and...

Jim B. has never publicly declared he is thinking about whether he is coming back or retiring. Calhoun has.

JB does have about 3-4 years on JC also

Wouldn't shock me if both coaches retire within a year or perhaps two of each other. Cuse fans will tell you that recruits know who the head coach will be and they have more history than UConn. They might be right, but that would be purely spin. UConn will either hire Ollie or UConn will hire someone better than Ollie. Cuse is hiring an assistant with proven coaching ability, who UConn fans would have a complete hissy-fit over if hired by UConn.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what the huge draw to Cuse is, if the goal is to win in college or be a star in the NBA. The zone is great gimmick for college and prepares kids very well for Europe, but it leaves them woefully unprepared for the NBA defensively and is a gimmick coaches usually figure out by NCAAT time. Carmelo is an exception who was an obvious NBA talent from the day he walked on to campus. Other than that, they have had a bunch of mediocre to downright bad NBA players over the past 20 years. Mostly this is due to the inability of those players to play defense at an NBA level. It's not completely surprising that Carmelo looks much better in the international game where he can hide on defense more.

They do have a good fan base, great facilities and a great PR team. Heck they have pretty much thrown the fact the Fines were boinking everyone in upstate New York under the rug.

Reaction Score

Because we win championships and they lose in the sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Cuse finished 8th in the ESPN top 50 UConn Finished 9th. The cut off for gaurenteed continued success forever and eternity without a blink of doubt was 8th.

It amazes me they finished ahead of UConn in that ESPN Top 50........while they and PC were the only thing close to national programs in the earlier years and they had "Louie and Bouie", Bing, Sahckelford and so many more, what did they win?

Since JC has taken over the Huskies they have more than negated any Yankee Conference years and thereafter leading to their reign in the Big East......the Cuse deserves to be up there somewhere for sure, but not in front of the Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
This and...

Jim B. has never publicly declared he is thinking about whether he is coming back or retiring. Calhoun has.

This has been the topic of other threads: when you say in the spring that you'll decide whether or not to continue, and then let the issue linger throughout the entire summer, without a word, and even make your AD speculate about your future, what do you expect?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Your right Cheddie, both men manage their age & end totally different. Calhoun pours gas on his own fire.

H

Husk-E

It's pretty obvious. People worry more about the better coach. We've won 3 nc's and Cuse has one. Which coach are people worrying about?

Reaction Score
Ummm, Calhoun has the personality of a rattlesnake. He doesn't suffer fools & it shows.
Boeheim used to be like that, until the good Ms Julie entered his life and he came home to her every night. His winning a NC, longevity, and personality makeover cemented his place as a fixture in CBB. The rejuvenating powers of the female sex can do wonders....
Nowadays, JB is in the whole Team USA hierarchy, regularly goes on TV and media to offer his perspective, and is generally considered a good guy for his charitable work and friendships with other prominent basketball figures.
In other words, he looks and acts like a man who's happy.
JC, OTOH, tells people to suck it, constantly looks like he needs an enema, and brashly announces he's not giving up a penny of his salary. His right to do so of course, but its not very endearing. He's a fighter, and always seems on guard for the next battle.
Consequently....JB is seen as a curmudgeon, while JC is seen as an -hole. He gets respect for his accomplishments obviously, but no tears will be shed, or farewell tours undertaken when he finally leaves the stage.
Any questions? :p

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree with a bunch of the posts above, Calhoun brings this speculation on himself.

JB is obv younger, and their coach in waiting provides great stability in the transfer when he does go...

But that is no guarantee of success down the road...

Will Hopkins be able to win and recruit is the obvious... But will he stick with zone?

I mean, it's a nice gimmick... But clearly it falls short in the sweet 16 and beyond.

And, as others have pointed out, it does not prepare guys for the NBA

Reaction Score
Btw I am a JB fan, lots of respect for the guy.

Cuse fans hate to admit it, but he and JC are pals... And both wanted to stay in the big east

caw

Reaction Score
Ummm, Calhoun has the personality of a rattlesnake. He doesn't suffer fools & it shows.
Boeheim used to be like that, until the good Ms Julie entered his life and he came home to her every night. His winning a NC, longevity, and personality makeover cemented his place as a fixture in CBB. The rejuvenating powers of the female sex can do wonders....
Nowadays, JB is in the whole Team USA hierarchy, regularly goes on TV and media to offer his perspective, and is generally considered a good guy for his charitable work and friendships with other prominent basketball figures.
In other words, he looks and acts like a man who's happy.
JC, OTOH, tells people to suck it, constantly looks like he needs an enema, and brashly announces he's not giving up a penny of his salary. His right to do so of course, but its not very endearing. He's a fighter, and always seems on guard for the next battle.
Consequently....JB is seen as a curmudgeon, while JC is seen as an -hole. He gets respect for his accomplishments obviously, but no tears will be shed, or farewell tours undertaken when he finally leaves the stage.
Any questions? :p

So Cuse has a better PR department and news connections, shocking. Like I said, it's all spin.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I beleieve the real answer is that JB has annointed a coach in waiting.

Orange Watch: The coach-in-waiting is a patient man

15-year assistant coach Mike Hopkins:
OW: After all these years as an assistant, and we all know about the talk of your eventual ascension to the top job, how good do you feel sitting here 15 years into your career?
MH: It’s been an amazing journey for me. It’s like you tell your team, the ups and downs, the losses and wins, you just try to work on the process and you just try to become the best I can become. If the opportunity exists or something happens, I could never see myself leaving, but it’s some of those things you just never know.

Reaction Score
So Cuse has a better PR department and news connections, shocking. Like I said, it's all spin.
C'mon, Caw...you can do better than this. :rolleyes:
The Boeheim before Julie, and the Boeheim after her, are 2 totally different animals.
In a way JB is almost like that nerd who nabs the hot chick...he gives hope to all the other nerds out there.
And indeed, she did make him a better person, both on and off the court.
He was a divorced, PO'd, sour-puss when Rick Pitino introduced them. He treated pressers like personal battles....(sound familiar?)
The Melo NC season peaked his coaching career, but his personal life had already shifted.
Btw- as Ricky1Moore stated, NO ONE gives JC more credit for the job he's done than Boeheim. He's said that JC's building of UConn's program, is the best job any coach has EVER done under those circumstances.
So yes, they like and respect each other even if fans don't wanna admit it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Boeheim is no charmer.

How often does he eviscerate some chick writing for the student paper? Yearly?

He's a cranky duck*, but now he is a cranky duck* with a very attractive wife.

(And having met her, she is, remarkably, more attractive in person than she is on television.)

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Boeheim is no charmer.

How often does he eviscerate some chick writing for the student paper? Yearly?

He's a cranky duck*, but now he is a cranky duck* with a very attractive wife.

(And having met her, she is, remarkably, more attractive in person than she is on television.)

Agreed.
But nowadays he's not ALWAYS a cranky F*&%.
He actually smiles & lightens up a bit...not unlike the cat & the canary.

Reaction Score
Agreed.
But nowadays he's not ALWAYS a cranky F*&%.
He actually smiles & lightens up a bit...not unlike the cat & the canary.

Fishy's 100% right....you have to have orange glasses on to think JB is a lot better in the personality category simply by looking and listening to him........I've heard great things about how he treats people away form the court but comparable with JC..........they actually are a lot more alike than you would care to admit. And while JC cries a lot to refs so does JB and he looks like he's ready to cry when he does.......needs to man up a bit!!:)

Reaction Score
Masaybe because Boeheim hasn't had cancer three times and he doesn't keep falling off bikes and breaking things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom