Dorka? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dorka?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why there is such a struggle for some to grasp this concept. All you have to do is watch the two UCONN opening possessions of the TN game. 3 touches by Liv, all beyond the arc and with each touch TN puts a minimum of 3 defender in the paint. Now keep watching and see what happens (great things) when Liv gets a touch in the paint.

Liv only took 15 3-pt attempts last year and was 4-15 on those attempts

Reaction Score
To all those who continually stress the the offense has to have a big at the 3 pt line to be more successful, yada yada yada. I'll take the position that you force the other team to respond/adjust to you and not the other way around. UConn should be able to bludgeon other teams down low this year, no need to waste talent by having them stand 23 feet from the basket.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And as I pointed out, Liv hit a better percentage than Dorka last season.

There was a similar issue when Z transferred from Duke. During her sophomore season at Duke, Z hit a very respectable 36% from the arc. However, at UConn that number was cut in half to 18%.

To Z’s credit, she was very effective inside. But so to was AA Pheesa, which created a real challenge in playing them both at the same time.

We’re all hoping that Dorka regains her shooting stroke from her sophomore season when she hit approximately 40% from the arc. If she does, no team will be able to play off her on defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why would UConn have to rely on Dorka shooting three pointers? Who says they are relying on her to do that? She will certainly shoot some but I believe the guards and wings will be relied on to shoot three pointers.
UCONN will rely on Dorka shooting "occasional" three pointers because it is requirement of the post position for offensive efficiency (spacing) and mandatory in a read and react offense. Obviously the more accurate the better but that would apply to any position in the UCONN offense. Your point is a valid one Dorka and ONO and Aaliyah are not going to be relied upon to take the bulk of the 3 point shots on this team. I'll use the Dolson model to quantify occasional. For her Junior and Senior campaigns Dolson averaged ~1.2 Three Point attempts per game and shot it 42% and 29%. Dorka attempted 70 three pointers last season. If she gets that many attempts (70) for UCONN this season it will be great news because that would mean she blazing hot. Less than 40 attempts % 32% accuracy is my prediction for Dorka.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why there is such a struggle for some to grasp this concept. All you have to do is watch the two UCONN opening possessions of the TN game. 3 touches by Liv, all beyond the arc and with each touch TN puts a minimum of 3 defender in the paint. Now keep watching and see what happens (great things) when Liv gets a touch in the paint.

True but CW was the leading scorer in tht game with 20 pts, followed by EW-15 and AG-10,
Does Paige get a mulligan for shooting 3-14 and 1-6 from the arc in 38 minutes? ..Just asking

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand the significance of this stat as it relates to my post. My post was designed to demonstrate how the defense reacts (collapses to the paint) when Liv touches the ball beyond the arc. It was not just TN that played UCONN this way, the BE teams all copied this blue print.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand the significance of this stat as it relates to my post. My post was designed to demonstrate how the defense reacts (collapses to the paint) when Liv touches the ball beyond the arc. It was not just TN that played UCONN this way, the BE teams all copied this blue print.
Whn it comes down to post players most teams would do the same thg, drop back and make the player prove tht they can hit tht shot, the percentages are in the defenses favor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
True but CW was the leading scorer in tht game with 20 pts, followed by EW-15 and AG-10,
Does Paige get a mulligan for shooting 3-14 and 1-6 from the arc in 38 minutes? ..Just asking
Since you are asking, Absolutely Paige does get a Mulligan because it was her shot 1 of 6 that sealed the victory and she had to fight through an ankle injury to get there.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Since you are asking, Absolutely Paige does get a Mulligan because it was her shot 1 of 6 that sealed the victory and she had to fight through an ankle injury to get there.
But seems like CW and EW had a lot to do with keeping tht game within range for her to hit tht clutch shot

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
But seems like CW and EW had a lot to do with keeping tht game within range for her to hit tht clutch shot
So a player gets a mulligan for scoring only 9 pts? Including multiple misses from the arc?....I can agree with tht, they got the win and I'm good with the outcome

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You’re correct, but at some point Dorka has to make her 3’s or no team will bother to guard her at the arc. It’s worth noting that last season Liv shot just under 27% from the arc to Dorka’s 20%.
Yes, but don't forget all those bricks just inside or with a foot on the arc.

Reaction Score
So I had to check the stats. All UConn’s guards chip in on rebounds. In addition to Paige at 4.9 rbpg Christyn pulls down 4.3 and Evina tops the guards at 5.3.
Got to like Evina.... and her passing! Good stuff with "E" and Christyn and Paige!!
Aubrey has also been known to pull down a few. But I really, really agree with
the opinions expressed about Ms. Edwards. I'm looking forward in the future
to seeing Ayanna Patterson and " Ice " Brady do their " thing" with clearing the boards!

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
So a player gets a mulligan for scoring only 9 pts? Including multiple misses from the arc?....I can agree with tht, they got the win and I'm good with the outcome

Don't get me wrong, I'm not harping on Paige, I absolutely admire the young lady and her game, and I'm not saying that she put the "game at risk " with her performance in tht game , it's a team sport and they win as a team and lose as a team, although rarely , there's a reason there's no names on the back of their uniforms.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not harping on Paige, I absolutely admire the young lady and her game, and I'm not saying that she put the "game at risk " with her performance in tht game , it's a team sport and they win as a team and lose as a team, although rarely , there's a reason there's no names on the back of their uniforms.
"Game at risk" is a little nebulous for me but I don't see anything wrong with saying that Paige did not play well at TN until the final moments. Paige also bounced back rather nicely in her next game against Arkansas and was perfect from deep.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we may all be overlooking something. Liv & Dorka don’t need to hit a single 3-pt shot in order to pull their defender away from the basket. All they need to do is set good screens on the perimeter for Paige and the other guards, something that Liv, Aaliyah & Aubrey did very effectively this past season.

Now we’re playing screen & roll, one of the most basic plays in basketball, and one of the hardest to defend when someone like Paige, Evina or Azzi has the ball in their hands.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but don't forget all those bricks just inside or with a foot on the arc.
Actually I thought Liv was pretty solid from 15-20’, but without watching every game again, I couldn’t be sure.

In any event, I just posted something we all overlooked. Liv & Dorka don’t need to hit 3-pt shots. All they need to do is set solid screens for Paige & friends at the arc, and that will force defenders out of the paint.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"Game at risk" is a little nebulous for me but I don't see anything wrong with saying that Paige did not play well at TN until the final moments. Paige also bounced back rather nicely in her next game against Arkansas and was perfect from deep.
Geez. The only thing she did not do well at TN was shoot. 8 rebounds (2 Off) 7 Assists including the sweet assist to CW where she got injured but nearly put the game out of reach at 61-52, only 2TO's and 3 steals and 0 fouls

Geno had mentioned that the only time he had seen Paige a little off and perhaps nervous was at the TN game and it is pretty easy to understand for a kid who grew up knowing the great heritage of UConn and the TN-UConn rivalry. Not to mention the seasons first hostile crowd

Women's Basketball vs Tennessee on 1/21/2021 - Box Score - University of Connecticut Athletics (uconnhuskies.com)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sad No Way GIF by Apple Music

You can't set a screen when you have the ball and you can't shoot or pass the ball without possession. High screen and roll should not be confused as a substitute for the plays in the UCONN offense where the post player has the ball beyond the arc. That set is designed to have the post player be the facilitator and requires room below the arc for the cutting wing and guards. The guard and wings are the facilitators in the high screen and roll. Two entirely different concepts and UCONN already utilizes utilizes both very effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom