Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you take those 10 and mix them up a bit.....they’re better than top 20.

With this new addition and the recruit coming in, I’m not sure ONO is a lock for your team #1.
Wow......so many anti ONO fans on the BY these days.........while she hasn't produced on some big occasions, I think many of you folks don't appreciate how important she is as a defensive stopper and as a passer/screener from the high post on offense.........if you asked her teammates I think they'd tell you the same things....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As she will have graduated from OSU by the time she arrives in CT, all portal/other transfer rules get thrown out the window - OSU has no say in where or if she can transfer. And the NCAA rules on sitting out (even if they hadn't been waived) would not apply to her.

A note on that OSU/Uconn game I posted - it appears to me that OSU used a lot more substitutions and often sort of hockey lines in their game - not sure is standard for McGuff

Reaction Score
200 minutes for all that talent. Does MM have some hidden skill set that will get her playing time? Does one injury make you a candidate for the Wally Pipp seat on the bench? Too many good players players can be a great situation for an All Star Team, not so much for the daily grind of the season.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds good to me

“She's a very bright player,” Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff said about Juhasz in a January Columbus Dispatch story. “She knows how to play and she tends to make other people around her better because she knows how to execute within the offense and either get a shot for herself or somebody else.”

https://www.ctpost.com/sports/artic..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No she isn't. I think it takes more development for post players and you can't expect big game contributions from them as freshman. They need to get stronger. I just don't think we can apply guard expectations to front court players. They are different in their development path.
I think this is largely true. Frankly I was happy that with Amari on board we "probably" didn't need a three big rotation including Aubrey, for those 80 minutes or so. We also could look forward to Aaliyah settling in as our full time PF of the future, and she wouldn't have to be Liv's backup, we could use a real C there. I assumed that probably would be Amari but knew Piath might be in the mix as well.

I was almost certain that one of those two would at least be able to rebound and defend well enough to be a way above average backup, even if there was still much to learn and grow from. Getting Gorka means the floor for backup minutes at C has been raised to super-sub level, something close to what Prechtel provides at Stanford, or Smith at Baylor when Brown and Cox were there. Of course there also is some possibility Gorka starts and Liv becomes the super-sub. Amari can learn and progress at her natural pace.

Geno plays some players heavy minutes, but he doesn't usually play Liv that many. Remember she only averages about 25 minutes a game. Some of that is foul trouble, but for someone who didn't have a true proven natural backup C, she had relatively low minutes.

Reaction Score
Great get.
A rebounding big who can shoot the three opens the court for everyone.
Playing time will be determined by who can shoot and who can't. Geno is not going into any more Final 4's KNOWING that certain players have not shown up (repeatedly) and probably will never show up.

Reaction Score
as much as it's nice to gain another big body, I don't want to see AD's development slowed down...........ONO is gone after this year and if Dorka leaves too, then AE will be the only 6'3"+ front court player with much game experience for the 2022/23 season......
I don't believe it will slow her development at all. All freshmen have the same challenge. To adapt and attack. GA won't hold her back. He'll throw plenty at her from the start and if she's tough enough and has the right attitude and attacks the challenge she'll get PT. Any 6-5 kid that impacts play in practice more than the other bigs will develop quickly.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It looks like Geno is going to be pressing a lot more then they have been in the previous years. I think this will be one of the best teams fielded at UConn in many years. UConn is going to be bad for Women's Basketball again.:):):):)

Reaction Score
From the number of skilled players that this staff didn’t recruit over the years because they weren’t a good fit for the culture @ Uconn, I can’t imagine them taking a transfer that didn’t meet that same criteria.
Yeah, GA knows what he needs. He ain't bringing in just anybody willy-nilly.

Reaction Score
I leave the house for a few hours, come back, and everything is topsy turvy (Does anyone say that anymore?). Welcome Husky for life Dorka Juhasz. Although a surprise, it is a much welcomed one. We fans can't wait to see you in Husky blue.

People, UConn is now a very big team with size in the lane and on the perimeter. Next years scrimmages should be a sight to behold. Anyone think that Liv hasn't been disappointed in her performance in the NCAA's this year? Anyone think she doesn't recognize her shortcomings? Is there anyone that truly believes she won't work harder on finishing around the basket, keeping the ball high when she drops her left leg, work on an effective up and under, work on her fade away, work on her midrange shot, maybe add a hook shot, work harder on her strength (mostly) and her conditioning, and work on her defensive positioning? Anyone think AE isn't going to work on her mid range shot as well, her strength and conditioning, and her finishing around the basket? Anyone really think that UConn's scrimmages with Amari DeBerry at 6'5", Piath Gabriel at 6'5", Liv at 6'5", AE at 6'3", and DJ (yes I said it) at 6'4" won't be a scrum had better think again. And that's just the front court. The battle for which three guards (aside of course from Paige) will see the most minutes will perhaps be even more intense with CW, Evina, Azzi, Saylor, Nika, and Caroline Ducharme pushing each other hard every day. Geno's going to need a squad of better practice players. A much better and bigger squad.
This is a very good post, but what I really really like about it is how you said "that's just the front court" and then referred to the battle for the "three" guard positions! Emphasis on three not four, goodbye small ball even if it means benching a former starter. Geno's comments about Aailyah being so positive relative to Liv suggests we should pencil in Aaliyah at the 4, and the six players you mention are competing for only two guard positions since Paige obviously gets one of those. From those six pick two, but only two. That is the reality of the roster as it stands now as you correctly describe.

Reaction Score
I leave the house for a few hours, come back, and everything is topsy turvy (Does anyone say that anymore?). Welcome Husky for life Dorka Juhasz. Although a surprise, it is a much welcomed one. We fans can't wait to see you in Husky blue.

People, UConn is now a very big team with size in the lane and on the perimeter. Next years scrimmages should be a sight to behold. Anyone think that Liv hasn't been disappointed in her performance in the NCAA's this year? Anyone think she doesn't recognize her shortcomings? Is there anyone that truly believes she won't work harder on finishing around the basket, keeping the ball high when she drops her left leg, work on an effective up and under, work on her fade away, work on her midrange shot, maybe add a hook shot, work harder on her strength (mostly) and her conditioning, and work on her defensive positioning? Anyone think AE isn't going to work on her mid range shot as well, her strength and conditioning, and her finishing around the basket? Anyone really think that UConn's scrimmages with Amari DeBerry at 6'5", Piath Gabriel at 6'5", Liv at 6'5", AE at 6'3", and DJ (yes I said it) at 6'4" won't be a scrum had better think again. And that's just the front court. The battle for which three guards (aside of course from Paige) will see the most minutes will perhaps be even more intense with CW, Evina, Azzi, Saylor, Nika, and Caroline Ducharme pushing each other hard every day. Geno's going to need a squad of better practice players. A much better and bigger squad.
She sounded like she recognized them last season and she should've been working on them last summer. I've supported her all along but just haven't seen the results of that recognition. And now GA has indicated that the train is moving on and it's All Aboard or see you later. This summer is her last shot.

Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Brink...for a freshman she was very impressive. She can shoot the three, she is extremely mobile around the basket, she can put it on the floor. If this woman gains twenty to thirty pounds she will be a beast.
Agree completely. Stanford had a ridiculously good big rotation that we hope to approach with this addition. Brink is terrific, Haley Jones was a number 1 recruit finding success as a kind of point four, Prechtel is about as good as it gets as a backup C, and the weakest player in this four big rotation has a dunk in game competition this year (Belibi).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow, is this the Geno we know and love? Is the four loses at the final four getting to him? What happened to the Geno that was comfortable carrying 12 players with maybe 7 getting real playing time in important games? I guess this season and this freshmen class really did change him. We have been going round and round speculating about what the starting line up would be next year. Now, its muddier than ever with the addition of Dorka. I know what alot of you guys are thinking, and I join you. We have a very young team, they are our future for the next three years, and I don't want to lose any of them. I just hope Geno has really changed to the point that he will play 9 or 10 players consistently, as that has been beneficial to many successful teams. He needs to show these players that they are valued. I welcome Dorka, and if used properly, will give us a lift for next year. FYI, as bad as our free throw shooting was last year, I think Dorka would have been the worst. LOL

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She sounded like she recognized them last season and she should've been working on them last summer. I've supported her all along but just haven't seen the results of that recognition. And now GA has indicated that the train is moving on and it's All Aboard or see you later. This summer is her last shot.
Of course it's her last shot. She'll be a senior. And she did work on them last summer. This was the first year, and the very first, where she consistently tried that left leg drop. Something I'd been screaming about for 2 years. What failed her was her poor form and her inability to finish. When she spins over her left shoulder she invariably keeps the ball below her waist leaving her too far to bring the ball up and giving the defense more time to defend the shot. She also spins left far too slowly and she never takes that wide step to the hoop that she does spinning to her right. That, among other things, will need to be fixed.

Reaction Score
Of course it's her last shot. She'll be a senior. And she did work on them last summer. This was the first year, and the very first, where she consistently tried that left leg drop. Something I'd been screaming about for 2 years. What failed her was her poor form and her inability to finish. When she spins over her left shoulder she invariably keeps the ball below her waist leaving her too far to bring the ball up and giving the defense more time to defend the shot. She also spins left far too slowly and she never takes that wide step to the hoop that she does spinning to her right. That, among other things, will need to be fixed.
Oh I agree with you on this stuff. But watching her attempt these things makes me wonder if she was trying to teach herself. Because IF she was working with someone, there are quite a few details that they forgot to show and explain to her. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was very impressed with Brink...for a freshman she was very impressive. She can shoot the three, she is extremely mobile around the basket, she can put it on the floor. If this woman gains twenty to thirty pounds she will be a beast.
I think she's already a beast. She only played 18.5 min/game. Partially because of foul trouble in some games, but also largely because of their depth. You stretch her PT out to 30+ min/game and her already good stats get significantly better. She already set the single season blocked shot record at Stanford, in a shortened season in which she played limited minutes.

She might be somebody who just can't add 30 lbs. to her frame. I really don't think she needs to. She was plenty effective, and I really don't recall seeing her get pushed around on the court. She's a lot stronger than she looks.

Reaction Score
I think she's already a beast. She only played 18.5 min/game. Partially because of foul trouble in some games, but also largely because of their depth. You stretch her PT out to 30+ min/game and her already good stats get significantly better. She already set the single season blocked shot record at Stanford, in a shortened season in which she played limited minutes.

She might be somebody who just can't add 30 lbs. to her frame. I really don't think she needs to. She was plenty effective, and I really don't recall seeing her get pushed around on the court. She's a lot stronger than she looks.
I agree. She's got a motor and isn't afraid to bang. When she finds out what she can and can't get away with, she's going to be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom