doris burke | The Boneyard

doris burke

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Actually, she is much better tonight working with what's his name. She is color and he is doing great play by play including player stats - I love it. I don't see the jacket during play, so it really doesn't matter....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She needs to have a better go to word than comporting

No kidding! Thought for a second we were playing Miss Porter's.

Reaction Score
not me, she could very valuable at Guantanamo Bay. Put her in a cell with POWs and threaten to leave her if they do not talk.

Can you say torture ?
I think Doris Burke is totally fine. I can't fathom why there's so much of a problem with some people about her. The other game I heard she was favoring UConn's opponent and if that were a problem then, you can't say she did tonight. She heaped a massive amount of love on Breanna and the Huskies. Relentless along with a lot of love for Kelly so all the Kelly lovers here should be happy as well.

Reaction Score
does anyone else want to shove a sock in doris burkes mouth!
does anyone else want to shove a sock in doris burkes mouth!

JEFF: great question. As stated in a pre-game thread re Burke: the answer is: Burke.....schmerk! Damn right I'm gloating....I let a BIG time "UCONN" yell out over the lake....out of BOTH doors, north and south......with five mins to go. YAHOOOOOOOO........UCONN>>>>UConn>>>>>UCONN. WINLOTS

Reaction Score
Actually, she is much better tonight working with what's his name. She is color and he is doing great play by play including player stats - I love it. I don't see the jacket during play, so it really doesn't matter....
I agree, she seems to be actually reporting what is going on in the game a bit more than she did during the UConn KY game...maybe someone shared the Boneyard's 'feedback' with her?;)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I agree, she seems to be actually reporting what is going on in the game a bit more than she did during the UConn KY game...maybe someone shared the Boneyard's 'feedback' with her?;)
No, it's that she is working with (and dammit, his name escapes me). He is terrific and sticks to the game and calls it, knows the players, stats, etc.. He is totally professional and she looks good working with him. There is no silly chit chat

Reaction Score
I think Doris Burke is totally fine. I can't fathom why there's so much of a problem with some people about her. The other game I heard she was favoring UConn's opponent and if that were a problem then, you can't say she did tonight. She heaped a massive amount of love on Breanna and the Huskies. Relentless along with a lot of love for Kelly so all the Kelly lovers here should be happy as well.

It’s a mystery.

She showed nothing but love for UConn throughout the game, especially for Breanna, Kelly, and Stef but for all the others as well; I’ve rewatched the game twice and I can’t recall anything she said negative about the team or players. On the other hand, while there was also a lot of praise for the play of the Irish, when it was time to call out Notre Dame, she did – for example, with around ten minutes left in the game she pointed out that Skylar was walking back on defense, no longer running, and on a later (I think) sequence that McBride was trying too hard to win the game on every possession.

Maybe the problem is that we’re too used to Meghan, who has devolved from being an analyst and insider to not much more than a cheerleader relying on clichés and catchphrases – there’s been discussions on this board late in the season that at times she wasn’t doing much more than “phoning it in”. Or even Rebecca’s new “shouting jock” style that has also been the subject of threads and polls here.

Doris is an analyst. Sometimes she gets preachy – way too preachy for my tastes - (and lately it seems that UConn is always the target/example of her tirades about “freedom of movement” etc) but in the end she is an excellent analyst. She knows the game.

When Moriah face guarded Skylar, she was on it even as – before? - Kantner blew the whistle. And in spite of the conviction of some of our posters here, she was correct. Dee knew the rule, and Doris knew the rule.

And she was prescient (another Miss Porter’s word) – coming out of the last TV timeout in the first half, she said:
“This is in important stretch – this has been back and forth the whole game - the best teams close halves on good momentum.”

At the time Notre Dame was leading 24-23; in the next 4- minutes, after trading baskets, a Hartley three, Faris steal for two, Faris block to Hartley for two, (Achonwa for two), Tuck rebound for two, Faris kick to Stewart for three (Wright one of two), Faris banks for two and UConn goes from one down to ten up. Along the way Notre Dame had to take two timeouts in less than a minute and while there would be challenges in the second half, the game was essentially won right here in what were probably (hopefully?) the most important four minutes in UConn's season.

And in that same sequence above, with about 20 seconds to go, as Wright was shooting fouls, she said,
“I’ll tell you what – they’re keeping themselves in this basketball game – Notre dame - by the free throw line.”

Isn’t that what we’ve all been saying all year?

Later, I think in the second half, she observed that UConn had been locking down Diggins – and if you watched, Kelly (at the time) was tight on Skylar wherever she went, no matter how far out of the play she was.

Doris’ style may not be for everyone, but if you want an analyst instead of a color commentator or a cheerleader, there are only a few good choices and she is one.

Reaction Score
This. We're all so disposed against Doris that we can't hear what she's doing right. Which is a lot. Even when she's driving me out of my tree, I'm actually learning something. Which is a lot more than can be said for Meghan.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's clear some 'yarders want announcers to be all UConn all the time... and get their proverbial knickers in a twist when it's not, feeling some sort of "slight," even though they are neither coaches nor players.

That's a totally diff. criticism than the actual art of calling or color commentary...ing on a game.

Reaction Score
The simple truth is she talks too much; waaaaaaaaay too much. Like I said before, she's fallen down and can't shut up! Doris' incessant rambling is the only thing I don't look forward to tonight. Sorry...........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I watched the game twice and actually really enjoyed both announcers. Andy really nailed it with the specifics, but not only didn't i have a problem with her, I actually enjoyed listening to her. She was also the one who said something like "ESPN hyped the 3 to see, all of who will soon be gone, but this young lady (referring to Stewie) is one to watch in the future, and it's here now" or something like that...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's clear some 'yarders want announcers to be all UConn all the time... and get their proverbial knickers in a twist when it's not, feeling some sort of "slight," even though they are neither coaches nor players.

That's a totally diff. criticism than the actual art of calling or color commentary...ing on a game.

This is my issue, though it hasn't been a problem working with O'Brian (got his last name finally). The other stuff is just stuff

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No, it's that she is working with (and dammit, his name escapes me). He is terrific and sticks to the game and calls it, knows the players, stats, etc.. He is totally professional and she looks good working with him. There is no silly chit chat

Dave O'Brien

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The truth seems to be that she changed when working with Dave O'Brien, which shows how important it is to have a strong team. If one person is truly professional, and comes loaded with the facts needed to call appropriately, the other can't just sit around with mindless yacking. So cudos to both!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I think that both Doris and O'Brien did an excellent and thoroughly professional job in the ND game.

As for tonight, I will suggest that the over/under for Doris's use of the verb "comport" be set at about four (and variations, like "comporting," count). Also, the tint of orange in her hair is acceptable, but I hope she retires that damned orange jacket.

Reaction Score
The difference, is that when Doris does color, and Dave O'Brien does play by play, they both actually do their jobs. Dave doesn't get caught up in the endless chatter. When Doris works with Beth Mowins or even Becca, they both chit chat like they're at the park watching their kids on the playground. We have to figure out for ourselves what's going on.

Reaction Score
I have kind of a creepy crush on Doris so I wouldn't think about shoving a sock in her mouth.:)That said, Doris doesn't understand timing and pace. She just runs on for far too long on a single point and sometimes misses play by play action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom