Doom & Gloom thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Doom & Gloom thread

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
After watching a bit of the South Carolina vs. Kentucky game tonight, we could be in a heap of trouble next month.
(Doom and Gloom....)

Reaction Score
UCONN has lost 2 games both on the road sold out crowd, both losse to top 5 teams. Sky is not falling. Tournament time games will be at neutral sites. I still think UCONN is not done.

This is all true, but it's not like we've looked very good doing it. Still nobody willing and able to take over a game. Still nobody proving an emotional lift.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s doom and gloom, but they need to figure out the offense. They are better than this but have struggled this year. Better now then tournament time. Hoping they are ready by then.

Reaction Score
1 seed isn’t out of the question. There’s no team aside from probably Baylor that is a sure thing to run the table in the regular season from here on out. Regardless, this is a big loss because we’ve basically assured ourselves we have to beat 3 great time to get a championship instead of 2.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Something is not right. UConn had five highly ranked players starting and playing a team that had one highly ranked player. and they could not score at least seventy points. Why do other teams bench players play and do well? They don't go through the hard practices UConn's players do but they produce more. Say what you will but some of that has to do with coaching and coaching adjustments. What has happened to that beautiful UConn offense we used to see? At this point, UConn is no better than any of the other top teams. If they don't force turnovers and score in transition, they struggle offensively like they did in the third quarter of their last game. Something needs to change before UConn can be considered a threat for a NC this season.

Reaction Score
Obviously a loss isn’t what we want but seriously let’s be positive about it. Yes I’m upset that we lost but like many others who have said it on this board, it ain’t the end of the world. There’s still games left to play. I still have the belief that we can still win a national championship. Of course our players haven’t been playing their best but I think they’re still capable of putting together a good run at it. If inevitably it doesn’t happen then so be it. I will always root for and stay loyal to my UCONN women.

Reaction Score
Give credit where credit is due guys; Louisville has been starving for this win and they came to play. Shout out to the 17,000+ that came out...those fans have been unbelievable since the Schimmel era. Unwavering support.

I love Jeff and love the connection he has with his team. Always. He got teary eyed at the end when Holly was interviewing him...you could see how much this win meant to him.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll start! This team can overcome a lot. They can’t overcome KLS not being as effective a player as she was last year. But to be that and player, KLS needs help from her teammates making outside shots so that they draw the D away from her so she can get her feet set and get a clean shot off. Walker and Kristyn need to start making shots to free KLS up, or UConn will be bounced in the final 8.

Coming into this game Walker had shot 44% from the 3PT line. The only starter shooting over 36% for 3PTs. Against tough teams why don't the coaches run plays for Walker to get some of Lou shots since Lou clearly has lost her touch. Lou can shoot to her heart's content in the AAC games to get her touch back. Move Lou inside and move Walker outside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Obviously a loss isn’t what we want but seriously let’s be positive about it. Yes I’m upset that we lost but like many others who have said it on this board, it ain’t the end of the world. There’s still games left to play. I still have the belief that we can still win a national championship. Of course our players haven’t been playing their best but I think they’re still capable of putting together a good run at it. If inevitably it doesn’t happen then so be it. I will always root for and stay loyal to my UCONN women.

One implied misconception that I want to squash right there: those of us who are critical, concerned, pessimistic, etc., are rooting for and loyal to this team.

If we weren't, we wouldn't care about tonight or any other game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
UCONN has lost 2 games both on the road sold out crowd, both losse to top 5 teams. Sky is not falling. Tournament time games will be at neutral sites. I still think UCONN is not done.

I agree

Reaction Score
The #2 team in the nation played like number”two” tonight. A whopping 39 %!! Not quite as bad as Baylor but baaaad. KLS used to be really really good. Now just good. Some good D by ONO then blows a few bunnies. And on and on and on
Actually if they had played like #2 they would have won. More like a #5 team.

Reaction Score
Coming into this game Walker had shot 44% from the 3PT line. The only starter shooting over 36% for 3PTs. Against touch teams why don't the coaches run plays for Walker to get some of Lou shots since Lou clearly has lost her touch. Lou can shoot to her heart's content in the AAC games to get her touch back. Move Lou inside and move Walker outside.
This is a good point. The other thing that was working was getting the ball inside the paint to Collier. But the team didn't run that play much except on key sets coming out of a game break. Don't know if that's just Geno's propensity these days to let the team figure the X's & O's out for themselves, or what?

Reaction Score
I think Lou is a different player when she is the “it” player. Sure, she has always been a great scorer, a deadly 3-point shooter, and even a point forward, but Kia was very beneficial to KLS. Kia shot the ball at a ridiculously high %, but not the volume, and distributed well. That didn’t mean you gave her an inch of space. Now teams really, really get to key in on Lou, and she hasn’t stepped up.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Something is not right. UConn had five highly ranked players starting and playing a team that had one highly ranked player

Evans was ranked top 10 by ESPN. ESPN was low on Fuehring (60) but she was a McDonald's AA, which implies top-24. Jazmine Jones was #43 by ESPN but #20 by ProspectsNation. Dunham and Carter were lower down the packing order, but Durr's not the only high level talent they have.

Why do other teams bench players play and do well? They don't go through the hard practices UConn's players do but they produce more.

What if I told you...they probably do go through hard practices? You don't get to the intensity Louisville manages on gameday by lollygagging through practices. I have no inside knowledge but I'll bet Jeff works his players pretty hard.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I love Jeff and love the connection he has with his team. Always. He got teary eyed at the end when Holly was interviewing him...you could see how much this win meant to him.

That was a really nice moment. I think it was Durr came up and gave him a side hug during the interview and said "love ya coach."

Reaction Score
Inconsistency is what will be the downfall of this team. At times (like the first half of the UCF game) they look unbeatable. The next game (admittedly against better competition) they shoot 38% from the field. That's not going to get it done. They could fix all this and make a run during the tournament like ND did last year, but unfortunately I don't see that happening. No real trending up. Too many valleys and not enough peaks.

I also think the shooting funk has lasted long enough that it has gotten into their heads, especially with Lou and CW. Not only are they missing, they are often missing badly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom