Dont worry about what recruits we get | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dont worry about what recruits we get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree Tonyc, as long as the staff keep recruiting the same selfless, desire, hard-working, loyal, coachable young ladies they've been recruiting for the past 30 years they'll do great things!
In an article on the type of player UCONN coaches recruit leads to success has a comment from Shea Ralph, "Talent is the last thing we look at when we recruit at CT!"
Seeing the type of players Kelly Faris, Carolyn Doty, Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle, Maria Conlon, Tiffany Hayes, Stef Dolson, Jamelle Elliot, Carla Berube, Kalana Greene, Kara Woltors, Kelly Schumacher, and many others turned into keeps Geno & the Huskies going for the top rung on the ladder every season!
Of course they get great players but they get GREAT SOLID PEOPLE that work with the stars to make GREAT TEAMS!
Long before they got great ballplayers, they got bright, selfless ladies that invested themselves into team and created a level of success that far exceeded anything the Huskies had prior to Geno's arrival. With each season of improvement and continued success more talented players started looking at Storrs as a possible destination and then came the great ones. Even then, we've always needed the good solid players who proved to be the mortar to bond them into champions. The presumption that we've always got the best players is ludicrous and is totally disrespectful to what Geno and CD have accomplished. Even then, Geno has always known that it's the attitude and commitment he's gotten from his players that have always been far more important to the successes he's had in Storrs CT.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Wally East- - -Obviously your right that having the superstar gave Geno & UCONN an edge! My point even though 9 of the 12 I listed were well regarded they weren't superstars coming in, and Maya & Tina for example weren't going to win a NC even as great as they are without the right pieces on the court with them.
None of the ones I listed were going to be "the straw that stirred the drink" even as HS AA's! As stated above Geno does "more with more and more with less" then any other HC in Division I! Being a HS AA IMO is over-rated! There are a lot of HS AA that did nothing in college! No guarantee you'll be a college AA!
Stef Dolson may have been a HS AA but until she decided to lose 30+lbs. and work on her conditioning and footwork did she turn into "the straw" that was a powerhouse her junior & senior seasons!
Even as great as Shea, Tina, Maya, DT, Stewie, etc were, my 12 made them better, and Geno & staff made them all legendary!
As great as Baylor's Brittany Griner and Odyssey Sims were they only have 1 NC to their credit!
In 2003 & 2004 DT, "the greatest WINNER in WBB history" according to Geno, wasn't going to win NC's #2 & #3 without Maria Conlon playing a major role at PG, Barb Turner at PF, Jessica Moore at C, Ann Strother (Ann was over-rated as a #1HS AA IMO) at SF, Ashley Battle at G & Willnett Crockett at F/C coming off the bench!
No matter what team sport you choose, there has to be role players to add to the mix and win Championships!
Bill Belichek coached the CLE Browns from 1991-1995 he was 36-44 with one playoff appearance, he's the same coach that now coaches the NE Patriots. What's the difference? PLAYERS!!!! How many fewer titles without Sue, DT3, Tina, or Maya, even with the players you list?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If having a lot of HS AA's were the biggest factor then how do you explain Tenn?
Orange is a horrible color. Holly is a sub-standard coach- wait, that was kind of your point wasn't it?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not really hard to answer if this is the question. Are top recruits required to win NCs? I don't want to find out, if top recruits suddenly stop coming to UCONN it will be an indication that something has gone horribly wrong.

Reaction Score
Orange is a horrible color. Holly is a sub-standard coach- wait, that was kind of your point wasn't it?

Exactly. I'm confused by the statements of some that Geno wins because he gets the best players, that it takes both great coaching and great players to win a championship. Why do so many top recruits choose UConn? How does a team attract great players? For a few schools, their reputation for getting their grads a high-paying career is a big factor. But for 99% of D1 schools it's the coach that attracts players. So if coaching the sole major factor in recruiting then doesn't Geno deserve the credit for both signing the talent and molding it?

It may be that many coaches could have won the title last season if they had UConn's roster but could they have signed that roster?

Reaction Score
Alydar- - - -That's what I'm trying to say! Unless your Geno Auriemma, there's no guarantee that if other coaches have the studs that they'll win a NC! He's the closest thing to a sure thing that's out there!
It peeves me when Ms. Locker Room Talk, Brenda Frese, complains repeatedly that the "ONLY REASON GENO WINS IS HE GETS THE BEST PLAYERS!" When she has had year in and year out near the top recruiting classes in Div. I and this year does have the #1 class and lets see if she can win the NC with the best players in the next several years! I love it when UCONN beats them by 30 points and she's sputtering around the post-game press conference! Bet the ranch on UCONN beating MD this year when Brenda has the studs and UCONN is supposed to be down!
If Geno & staff was coaching the ND squad that beat UCONN, with Diggins, McBride, Novosel, etc, 7 out of 9 or whatever, he would have won several NC's! With Geno, Baylor would have won more than 1 with Sims & Griner!
Geno and his staffs through the years, CD, Jamelle, Tonya, Shea, Marisa are the final ingredient that make superstars and legends out of their players! More UCONN players have success post college than any other program in the WNBA or overseas!

Your posting just tickled me---It is great to see that kind of loyalty!!!

MD's Brenda--has to think the way (you highlighted)--it feeds her ego and maybe gets more bucks for the Alum or AD. I don't believe most top 10-20 coaches ever say "stupid" things like this without a reason.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I'm confused by the statements of some that Geno wins because he gets the best players, that it takes both great coaching and great players to win a championship. Why do so many top recruits choose UConn? How does a team attract great players? For a few schools, their reputation for getting their grads a high-paying career is a big factor. But for 99% of D1 schools it's the coach that attracts players. So if coaching the sole major factor in recruiting then doesn't Geno deserve the credit for both signing the talent and molding it?

It may be that many coaches could have won the title last season if they had UConn's roster but could they have signed that roster?

If Geno was the only reason Uconn wins --Uconn would win every year--he's always at Uconn. His assistants changed, but they lost with those assistants. So what is the changing factors?? New Players, competition players, Competition coaches.

Is the UConn Coaching staff (total) a huge factor in the wins? You bet your bippy !! Geno gets good talent and makes a lot into super stars. His magic only works with those with talent and willing to work harder than anyone believed they could/would.

Reaction Score
People who think UConn can win championships without top notch recruits are delusional fan.

I completely agree but talent alone doesn't win championships. Plus, you have to admire the charisma of an middle age guy who can consistently recruit the best (teenage) talent across the country. Not only speaking of Geno but he certainly is a leader in this respect.

Reaction Score
Your posting just tickled me---It is great to see that kind of loyalty!!!

MD's Brenda--has to think the way (you highlighted)--it feeds her ego and maybe gets more bucks for the Alum or AD. I don't believe most top 10-20 coaches ever say "stupid" things like this without a reason.

BroadwayVa- - -Loyalty is one of my better features! Seriously, a couple of years ago UCONN lost KML with an elbow injury and right after lost another player to injury (Morgan Tuck?) and played MD and Brenda Frese, UCONN won by 30+ points and in the post-game presser, BF said, "Gee, if Geno loses one more player he may have to start coaching!"
Every time BF is on TV I hold on to my wallet so she can't pick my pocket! She's so slimey!
Two of the great true stories about Frese is when she got hired at MN, Lindsay Whalen's sophomore year, she said at the hiring presser, "this is my dream job, I want to win a NC here in MN!" Two years later she left for MD where at the hiring presser she said, " this has got to be my dream job, I'm looking forward to many Championship seasons here!"
And right before signing with UCONN 2 bigs Langhorn and Harper were called by Frese and somehow talked into signing with MD instead of UCONN! Geno later made some snide remark about coaches making up stories and stealing recruits! Someone made the comment that Geno keeps scheduling MD so UCONN can kick MD's butt!
Her NCAA Championship in 2006 was because she had Jeff Walz as top Asst. he left for L'ville job after!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BroadwayVa- - -Loyalty is one of my better features! Seriously, a couple of years ago UCONN lost KML with an elbow injury and right after lost another player to injury (Morgan Tuck?) and played MD and Brenda Frese, UCONN won by 30+ points and in the post-game presser, BF said, "Gee, if Geno loses one more player he may have to start coaching!"
Every time BF is on TV I hold on to my wallet so she can't pick my pocket! She's so slimey!
Two of the great true stories about Frese is when she got hired at MN, Lindsay Whalen's sophomore year, she said at the hiring presser, "this is my dream job, I want to win a NC here in MN!" Two years later she left for MD where at the hiring presser she said, " this has got to be my dream job, I'm looking forward to many Championship seasons here!"
And right before signing with UCONN 2 bigs Langhorn and Harper were called by Frese and somehow talked into signing with MD instead of UCONN! Geno later made some snide remark about coaches making up stories and stealing recruits! Someone made the comment that Geno keeps scheduling MD so UCONN can kick MD's butt!
Her NCAA Championship in 2006 was because she had Jeff Walz as top Asst. he left for L'ville job after!
UCONN won that game by 17 points (72 to 55) not 30+ and that game was close and actually tied early in the second half at 43.
It might have been 30+ point win for UCONN but Bria Hartley was 0 for 11 on 3pt attempts.
The Langhorn and Harper NON UCONN signing was the worst toxic mix of helicopter parents, selfish AAU coaches and sleazy NCAA coaches but it did result in a championship for MD while UCONN lost in the regionals.

Reaction Score
UCONN won that game by 17 points (72 to 55) not 30+ and that game was close and actually tied early in the second half at 43.
It might have been 30+ point win for UCONN but Bria Hartley was 0 for 11 on 3pt attempts.
The Langhorn and Harper NON UCONN signing was the worst toxic mix of helicopter parents, selfish AAU coaches and sleazy NCAA coaches but it did result in a championship for MD while UCONN lost in the regionals.

I forgot Brenda coached (briefly) at Mn--I do remember Whalen and a few others were set up to transfer , then with the new coach they decided to stay--and darn near beat DT lead Uconn team in a game I consider the best WBB ever played--I never saw a player (like Whalen) play so out of control--controlled. She looked like a dozen accidents about to happen and made accurate passes or scored.
If not for Toliver, would BF have won the NC??

See the HIGHLIGHT part--isn't it terrible when that happens. But when Geno does not get them--Chris does her happy dance..

Brenda is NOT one of my favorite coaches--she recruited a local girl (Tolliver) and the kid carried her team to a single championship when the MD team had enough talent to win 3 or 4. I don't care for BF's (what appears to me) abusive treatment of her kids who apparently fail some function. Geno has done that once or twice in 35 years but Brenda seems to do that every game. I like that her teams are tough kids and play hard to the bitter end--that's the only positive thing I can say for her. She and JPM should co-coach!
See my response to Cocohusky on this subject.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it gets down to 'iconic' high school players. In the 90s there was less hype around the girl's HS scene, and many fewer opportunities to highlight their skills against other players with fewer age specific international competitions and a less national based AAU structure, but I suspect Lobo would have had that hype as well as Holdsclaw. In the 2000s Parker, Moore, EDD, Griner, and Stewart were all players who were recognized early in HS as being well above the field. These players are different from standard #1 players in a class and Since 1993 Uconn has had incredible success in landing more of them than other schools combined, though having hooked EDD they lost her before they got her into the boat. And the ones they got account for 7 of the 11 NCs.

On top of those iconic HS players Uconn has also landed a number of standard #1 quality players, Shea, DT, Tamika, Anne, Tina, KML, Moriah, Lou, and Crystal - only that run of 4 NCs from 2000-2004 was accomplished with what were 'ordinary' HS talent - a lot of it, but no one who had so distinguished themselves prior to college.

What has been impressive is the development of high level but not #1 talent into NPOY and champions: Jen, Kara, and Sue, and the development of #1 HS talent into NPOY talent and 'iconic' college and pro talent - DT, Tina.

Players at all levels of talent coming into Uconn consistently improve their games with very few exceptions (other than medical issues) and the success in the WNBA of graduates is a testament to that. Geno has gotten great talent to work with, more than his share of iconic players, which has driven a lot of his success, but it is the rest of the surrounding talent which he has developed, which is no better than other coaches have had that has really driven the boat.

Reaction Score
I think it gets down to 'iconic' high school players. In the 90s there was less hype around the girl's HS scene, and many fewer opportunities to highlight their skills against other players with fewer age specific international competitions and a less national based AAU structure, but I suspect Lobo would have had that hype as well as Holdsclaw. In the 2000s Parker, Moore, EDD, Griner, and Stewart were all players who were recognized early in HS as being well above the field. These players are different from standard #1 players in a class and Since 1993 Uconn has had incredible success in landing more of them than other schools combined, though having hooked EDD they lost her before they got her into the boat. And the ones they got account for 7 of the 11 NCs.

On top of those iconic HS players Uconn has also landed a number of standard #1 quality players, Shea, DT, Tamika, Anne, Tina, KML, Moriah, Lou, and Crystal - only that run of 4 NCs from 2000-2004 was accomplished with what were 'ordinary' HS talent - a lot of it, but no one who had so distinguished themselves prior to college.

What has been impressive is the development of high level but not #1 talent into NPOY and champions: Jen, Kara, and Sue, and the development of #1 HS talent into NPOY talent and 'iconic' college and pro talent - DT, Tina.

Players at all levels of talent coming into Uconn consistently improve their games with very few exceptions (other than medical issues) and the success in the WNBA of graduates is a testament to that. Geno has gotten great talent to work with, more than his share of iconic players, which has driven a lot of his success, but it is the rest of the surrounding talent which he has developed, which is no better than other coaches have had that has really driven the boat.

Magnificent!! As I said previously I always learn something from your posting!!! Counting the Olympics Geno has gotten some of the best in the world to forget their personal stats and play for his TEAM--an amazing feat. Many talk about doing that --few have achieved it.
In the 1990's and going backwards, the Europeans, and the Russians significantly, recognized WBB players. They setup programs to recognize apparent top level talent and have to this day had very good to great success. The Russian belief in women athletes I believe is an extension of the use of women in every aspect of their military, mostly out of great need. The Russian woman fighter has a reputation of being tougher and at times meaner than their male counterparts. So it is no wonder, at least to me, that women athletes in Russia have had the same or nearly the same opportunities and training as men. The Olympics have helped push the USA into considering WBB players on a higher plain--still a long way to go. When will the male number of male viewers see how great these women are???

Reaction Score
Bill Belichek coached the CLE Browns from 1991-1995 he was 36-44 with one playoff appearance, he's the same coach that now coaches the NE Patriots. What's the difference? PLAYERS!!!! How many fewer titles without Sue, DT3, Tina, or Maya, even with the players you list?
Some would say it wasn't mainly the players, but the experience. The experience of being too open and friendly to the public in Cleveland and the long years afterward of serving as Bill Parcell's D-coordinator. Sure the Pats were a "pretty good" team when he took over, but that doesn't account for going from having been fired to becoming one of the 2 or 3 greatest coaches of all time, IMHO. (And he wins without Brady....)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If having a lot of HS AA's were the biggest factor then how do you explain Tenn? There's a program that has, up till last year, signed a lot of McD AA's and yet hasn't even gotten to a FF in 8 years. Last year they had a No 1 and a No 1a (DD) and lost double digit games. Notre Dame is another team that is loaded with AA's and a No 1. At least they have played in nearly as many championships as UConn in recent years. And finally, my best example, Duke. In how many FF's did No 1 E Williams play?

Simple answer for all three (Tennessee, Notre Dame , Duke): An abundance of talent but a shortage of Badasses. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom