Dont want to hear it | The Boneyard

Dont want to hear it

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Im so sick of this fire Ollie midseason stuff. I wouldn't fire him after the season either, but that can be debated.

Like ive said. Im fine with being critical...but if you think that firing the HC mid season and if you think they'd be over 500 next yr you'd be wrong.

The team would be in SHAMBLES. Players would be gone. Akinjo would be gone. There would be nothing left. Im pretty sure the same few people calling for Ollie's head would be the same ones complaining about that too. some people like to complain I guess...

Reaction Score
Can you explain what you've seen from Ollie that makes you think he's a good pick to lead this program into the future? I'm genuinely curious.

I don't care whether they fire him today or after the season. Don't think it really matters at this point. But one way or another he should go.

That championship he won seems like a lifetime ago, and it's obvious at this point that Bazz and Boat were coaching that team.

Reaction Score
Im so sick of this fire Ollie midseason stuff. I wouldn't fire him after the season either, but that can be debated.

Like ive said. Im fine with being critical...but if you think that firing the HC mid season and if you think they'd be over 500 next yr you'd be wrong.

The team would be in SHAMBLES. Players would be gone. Akinjo would be gone. There would be nothing left. Im pretty sure the same few people calling for Ollie's head would be the same ones complaining about that too. some people like to complain I guess...

Besides some off the court issue, what would it take for you to consider firing KO. This is a serious question.

Reaction Score

what makes u think players/recruits want to stick around given what they've seen from the Coach?

pj

Reaction Score
You guys have to stop living in the past. He won a national championship with some help from JC, then he took the training wheels off and drove solo and screwed up the next three years. He learned some lessons, revamped his staff and his recruiting and approach, and will be much better the next three years than he was the last three. How good will that be? We don't know yet, but we shouldn't be promoting this avalanche of pessimism that infects the team and the fanbase. Give KO a chance and let's see what he accomplishes. I think if the team continues to progress this year, he deserves 2018-19. If it progresses in 2018-19, he deserves 2019-20.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I'm not debating whether he has done a good job recently. This yr and last have been tough to watch, but all of it isn't on Ollie, IMO. I just think a coach with a NC deserves another yr or 2 to turn the program around. Even with this yr being tough, I think we're trending in the right direction with recruits and Chill has helped.

Firing Ollie just pushes the reset button and puts us back in a terrible spot. I'm talking TERRIBLE. You think this is bad, you'd be WISHING for this when the best player on the team is Josh Carlton next yr if Ollie is fired. I'm critical of Ollie, but Im not ready for the program to completely dissolve.

I also feel like im being realistic. I don't blame Ollie for things that aren't his fault. Recruiting Gilbert? Come on. The inbounds pass from Anderson last night? Come on. You want to talk about his lack of big development and his lack of offensive sets (until last night) fine. We can discuss these things for sure. I am just seriously worried about the program if Ollie is fired. I think we are heading in the right direction. Lets see what 2019 recruits he can get. Play out the season and see where we're at.

C

Chief00

You guys have to stop living in the past. He won a national championship with some help from JC, then he took the training wheels off and drove solo and screwed up the next three years. He learned some lessons, revamped his staff and his recruiting and approach, and will be much better the next three years than he was the last three. How good will that be? We don't know yet, but we shouldn't be promoting this avalanche of pessimism that infects the team and the fanbase. Give KO a chance and let's see what he accomplishes. I think if the team continues to progress this year, he deserves 2018-19. If it progresses in 2018-19, he deserves 2019-20.

KO needs to value shooting much more in his player evaluation - Chill is trying to implement that via his Blaze plan.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
what makes u think players/recruits want to stick around given what they've seen from the Coach?
Akinjo just signed his LOI...pretty sure that means he likes KO. We get chances with some big name guys yearly because of KO. That goes away if he leaves. Im pretty sure the players he has are loyal to him.

Reaction Score

The thought of this continuing next season is something that seems like such a remote possibility, I can't believe you are advocating another season beyond that.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
KO needs to value shooting much more in his player evaluation - Chill is trying to implement that via his Blaze plan.
I agree 100%, Chief. This will vastly help KO's offense. Pro offenses thrive on shooting.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm not debating whether he has done a good job recently. This yr and last have been tough to watch, but all of it isn't on Ollie, IMO. I just think a coach with a NC deserves another yr or 2 to turn the program around. Even with this yr being tough, I think we're trending in the right direction with recruits and Chill has helped.

Firing Ollie just pushes the reset button and puts us back in a terrible spot. I'm talking TERRIBLE. You think this is bad, you'd be WISHING for this when the best player on the team is Josh Carlton next yr if Ollie is fired. I'm critical of Ollie, but Im not ready for the program to completely dissolve.

I also feel like im being realistic. I don't blame Ollie for things that aren't his fault. Recruiting Gilbert? Come on. The inbounds pass from Anderson last night? Come on. You want to talk about his lack of big development and his lack of offensive sets (until last night) fine. We can discuss these things for sure. I am just seriously worried about the program if Ollie is fired. I think we are heading in the right direction. Lets see what 2019 recruits he can get. Play out the season and see where we're at.

What have you seen in KO's coaching that makes you believe next year will be different? You do realize when we won a NC we won playing almost the exact same style of basketball the key difference being the players were better/ seemingly cared more. Ollie has changed the players have... that is the key issue here.

Reaction Score
Lol. And the team wasn't in shambles last off season? We recruited a player off Instagram for crying out loud, and supplemented our crop of 3 star players with two low level grad transfers. Here is our roster next year, assuming Jalen and Terry leave as many predict, so can you point out to us which players leaving would hurt the program more than keeping Ollie would. Here are their 247sports composite rankings from their class, if they have one:

Cobb - JUCO
Williams: JUCO
Gilbert - 32
Diarra - 126
Vital - 166
Polley - 161
Carlton - 175
Whaley - NR
Wilson - 88
Akinjo - 97
Kisunas - 159
Matthews - 166

Looks like the program is already in shambles to me.

polycom

Reaction Score
I agree 100%, Chief. This will vastly help KO's offense. Pro offenses thrive on shooting.

Can we end the fantasy that KO runs a pro offense? What NBA team outside of the OKC Thunder run an offense that even looks semi similar?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
What have you seen in KO's coaching that makes you believe next year will be different? You do realize when we won a NC we won playing almost the exact same style of basketball the key difference being the players were better/ seemingly cared more. Ollie has changed the players have... that is the key issue here.
I don't think its a caring issue. I think KO has not been recruiting the right guys. Which I get is his fault...but I think Diallo would have really helped as would VJ. I think they have corrected the ship and Chief has said they're focusing on shooting with the Blaze strategy...so that gives me hope. That's what they're missing. Need to keep defenses honest.

Reaction Score
So now KO should keep his job because of the fear of losing Akinjo? Unreal. A rebuild is just that. You tear this thing down and start over. Even if it means huge roster turnover(which I anticipate we have anyway). Even if it means we have decommits.(which I anticipate we have anyway). If not, we will be having the exact same conversation next year. Well, atleast those who are left..

I wonder why AD DB has toned down his social media presence regarding Men's Basketball. To me, that is encouraging in a way that at least he isn't tone deaf. This program is in massive trouble. Another season like this, which I anticipate with no fundamental changes, and it could really be the nail in the coffin. Once a nerve has been struck with long time UConn loyalists, there is no turning back. KO must go. (but I agree with those who argue after the season, for optics only)

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Can we end the fantasy that KO runs a pro offense? What NBA team outside of the OKC Thunder run an offense that even looks semi similar?
You think he'd run the same set with better shooters? I don't. I think hes forced to run mostly iso ball for Adams and Larrier and Vital. No one else can score at all.

polycom

Reaction Score
You think he'd run the same set with better shooters? I don't. I think hes forced to run mostly iso ball for Adams and Larrier and Vital. No one else can score at all.

You realize this is illogical? You have to put people in position to score. Cutting and screening and getting action going to the rim...it isn't impossible to draw up a play for anyone on the court. We don't need to be shooting 15 foot jumpers, with streaky scorers. We run a horrible offense that is the bottom line and it is on the coach.

Reaction Score
Well for one, the smaller courts and different defensive rules make it really hard to run a pure pro-style offense in college. So those that do, without tweaking it for the college game, are stupid. Also, its a lot easier to run with NBA-caliber shooters and star players (Westbrook, Carmelo, George) than it is with 0 shooters or stars.

polycom

Reaction Score
I don't think its a caring issue. I think KO has not been recruiting the right guys. Which I get is his fault...but I think Diallo would have really helped as would VJ. I think they have corrected the ship and Chief has said they're focusing on shooting with the Blaze strategy...so that gives me hope. That's what they're missing. Need to keep defenses honest.

So after 5 years of coaching he realizes he needs to recruiting shooting? You're okay with that, incredible.

Reaction Score
Akinjo just signed his LOI...pretty sure that means he likes KO. We get chances with some big name guys yearly because of KO. That goes away if he leaves. Im pretty sure the players he has are loyal to him.
This too. The line to the glory days of saint Calhoun and the titles, Kemba, Shabazz, Rip, Ray , etc are cut and gone. It will truly be a totally new era and new program. Not excusing nor accepting the the current results. Sometimes you’re just snake bitten. Until one of our own, not one of the insider legends of the yard say so, Ollie will get support. I am curious as to why he is not leaning on those guys, and LeBron and kd a bit more as well.

Reaction Score

The most beautiful thing about this post is referring to the "Blaze strategy" as if it is an actual thing.

Chief00 truly has arrived.

Reaction Score
Lol. And the team wasn't in shambles last off season? We recruited a player off Instagram for crying out loud, and supplemented our crop of 3 star players with two low level grad transfers. Here is our roster next year, assuming Jalen and Terry leave as many predict, so can you point out to us which players leaving would hurt the program more than keeping Ollie would. Here are their 247sports composite rankings from their class, if they have one:

Cobb - JUCO
Williams: JUCO
Gilbert - 32
Diarra - 126
Vital - 166
Polley - 161
Carlton - 175
Whaley - NR
Wilson - 88
Akinjo - 97
Kisunas - 159
Matthews - 166

Looks like the program is already in shambles to me.
I agree! KO should be one of the best recruiters in the Country. Young, NBA career, winning NC program, etc... etc... He fired a true "coach" in Miller and replaced him with another "recruiter" in Chillious. 100% of what we currently have is on Ollie. The transfers, the crappy in bounds plays, the recruitment of injured players, the lack of shooters etc... To think that we can't fire KO because we may stink next year is ridiculous. We already stink!

Reaction Score
The same people who are against firing Ollie in fear of a rebuild were the same folk who applauded him while literally rebuilding the roster in a matter of months in the off season while losing players and recruits who couldn't stand the guy and there will be transfers this off season too if he stays you can take that to the bank. Still yet to hear any legit reasons why anyone thinks he has what it takes to turn it around other than blind faith and loyalty to someone who played here. If you care about the program than it's time to realize we are a running joke and the man who runs zero offensive sets, has questionable off the court behavior, can't motivate and most importantly can't keep players in the program is responsible for its decay. Fear of losing the #100 recruit shouldn't have any bearing in this matter seeing how the loons on this board had their eyes closed when a top 40 PG backed out last year because even he saw who was actually in charge. If you can't see the writing on the wall than you are an Ollie fan (or Stairguy and Mau who are insane people), not a UConn fan because this program isn't dead but it's in the hands of the man strangling it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom