Don't Look Now, But KML... | The Boneyard

Don't Look Now, But KML...

Reaction Score
is having her best year ever as a pro! Last night she scored 8 points in 14 minutes, including making two of three 3-pointers. In fact, she's shooting almost 50% from the 3-point line this season, which is second highest in the WNBA.

She has scored 8 or more points in five of her last eight games, while making 13 of 27 3-pointers. During that eight game stretch, she's averaging nearly 10 ppg. Her 6.2 ppg pace for the season is the highest of her 4-year pro career. In fact, her 23 made 3's are the second highest total for a season in her career, and she's on pace to easily break her career high of 35 in 2016.

She looked to be in good shape last night against New York, pulling down 3 rebounds as well.

Not sure what's happening in Seattle, but something has changed for KML. She's getting more playing time, and making it count.

Anyone know what's changed for her?

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Reaction Score
is having her best year ever as a pro! Last night she scored 8 points in 14 minutes, including making two of three 3-pointers. In fact, she's shooting almost 50% from the 3-point line this season, which is second highest in the WNBA.

She has scored 8 or more points in five of her last eight games, while making 13 of 27 3-pointers. During that eight game stretch, she's averaging nearly 10 ppg. Her 6.2 ppg pace for the season is the highest of her 4-year pro career. In fact, her 23 made 3's are the second highest total for a season in her career, and she's on pace to easily break her career high of 35 in 2016.

She looked to be in good shape last night against New York, pulling down 3 rebounds as well.

Not sure what's happening in Seattle, but something has changed for KML. She's getting more playing time, and making it count.

Anyone know what's changed for her?

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Fairfield Fan- - - Geew1992 beat me to it! Dan Hughes has really brought PROFESSIONALISM to the Storm! He is one of the best coaches in the WNBA and has been for over 15+ years! Dan has been there and done that! As Sue Bird said in an interview, " Coach has let US be US! He is not trying to reinvent just gives us the principals and discipline and lets us play our game!" Scary moments a couple games ago he got run over on the sidelines by an opposing player by accident and fell hitting his head on the court! They took him to the locker room and he came back to coach in the 2nd 1/2!

Reaction Score
Fairfield Fan- - - Geew1992 beat me to it! Dan Hughes has really brought PROFESSIONALISM to the Storm! He is one of the best coaches in the WNBA and has been for over 15+ years! Dan has been there and done that! As Sue Bird said in an interview, " Coach has let US be US! He is not trying to reinvent just gives us the principals and discipline and lets us play our game!" Scary moments a couple games ago he got run over on the sidelines by an opposing player by accident and fell hitting his head on the court! They took him to the locker room and he came back to coach in the 2nd 1/2!

Dan Hughes has had a couple of scary hits while sitting on the bench whe he coached San Antonio.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dan Hughes has had a couple of scary hits while sitting on the bench whe he coached San Antonio.

Since Hughes has proven on numerous occasions his inability to dodge or side step oncoming out of control players, simply outfit him in a helmet and elbow pads, and he'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Since Hughes has proven on numerous occasions his inability to dodge or side step oncoming out of control players, simply outfit him in a helmet and elbow pads, and he'll be fine.
You're saying "Coaching is hard, wear a helmet"? :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You're saying "Coaching is hard, wear a helmet"? :D

If your reflexes are slow, and/or your foot work is poor, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What has changed Kaleena? One factor is the coach. The other is that she’s getting some playing time with good PGs, including Sue and the starting unit. When Stewie is on the floor, the defense is focused on her. Then add Sue, Jewell, and Natasha Howard. Kaleena gets lots of good lucks when teamed with those four. Even when playing with the second unit, Kaleena will get good looks via Jordin Canada.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What has changed Kaleena? One factor is the coach. The other is that she’s getting some playing time with good PGs, including Sue and the starting unit. When Stewie is on the floor, the defense is focused on her. Then add Sue, Jewell, and Natasha Howard. Kaleena gets lots of good lucks when teamed with those four. Even when playing with the second unit, Kaleena will get good looks via Jordin Canada.
that's how I felt about Megatron last year

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In hindsight, I'm very glad Jenny Boucek was fired. Clearly the wrong person for the job. I get that Seattle was rebuilding, but she was dreadful. 36-58 record. Had no idea how to properly use KML. Bird was languishing. Loyd was a backup PG (granted they had no one else, but awful use of her talents). I get that they have rookies Canada and Russell this year, but that's not one of the top reasons the team is doing so well. Although, adding Natasha Howard was huge. She finally found the right team and right coach to showcase her talents.

In the past, the starters would get a decent lead, then the entire bench would come in, squander it, get behind, and the team would struggle the rest of the game. All you have to do is listen to Bird's comments about Hughes "he lets us be us - he's not trying to reinvent". Clearly a stark contract to Bucek, who in hindsight, was probably even worse than people thought as a HC...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you look at the last 4 games (all wins), 2 other very important facets of her game become clear

upload_2018-7-7_14-34-5.png

0 Fouls and 0 TO's. In the past, all she had to do was breath and she picked up 2 fouls.

Also, based on what we are seeing with Hughes, it seems to me that the offensive flow is looking more like UConn with more read/react. KML has always been a
great motion player and now there are a lot of curl plays where she runs into the lane for mid range shots as well as kickouts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you look at the last 4 games (all wins), 2 other very important facets of her game become clear

View attachment 32753

0 Fouls and 0 TO's. In the past, all she had to do was breath and she picked up 2 fouls.

Also, based on what we are seeing with Hughes, it seems to me that the offensive flow is looking more like UConn with more read/react. KML has always been a
great motion player and now there are a lot of curl plays where she runs into the lane for mid range shots as well as kickouts.
Yeah, K is running off screens, getting the ball, and taking jumpers of 15’-22’. Her form looks good, and she’s just big enough and quick enough to get the shot off. She works well with Stewie, as she did at Connecticut.

I agree about the reduction in fouls. K would get beat on a switch and get called for a reaching foul. She’s seems to have gotten better at that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In hindsight, I'm very glad Jenny Boucek was fired. Clearly the wrong person for the job. I get that Seattle was rebuilding, but she was dreadful. 36-58 record. Had no idea how to properly use KML. Bird was languishing. Loyd was a backup PG (granted they had no one else, but awful use of her talents). I get that they have rookies Canada and Russell this year, but that's not one of the top reasons the team is doing so well. Although, adding Natasha Howard was huge. She finally found the right team and right coach to showcase her talents.

In the past, the starters would get a decent lead, then the entire bench would come in, squander it, get behind, and the team would struggle the rest of the game. All you have to do is listen to Bird's comments about Hughes "he lets us be us - he's not trying to reinvent". Clearly a stark contract to Bucek, who in hindsight, was probably even worse than people thought as a HC...
I agree that Hughes is a proven coach and Boucek was not. I think early in Jenny’s tenure, the team was still trying to figure out how to play together, Stewie and Jewell were inexperienced, and Sue was injured or recovering. The circumstances are better this year, but the coaching change was a big factor, perhaps the biggest. I also like the acquisitions of Howard (likely the MIP) and Canada.

Reaction Score
Seattle looks like one of the top 3 teams in the league, which is pretty surprising considering last year's performance, but not so surprising when you look at their roster: Sue Bird, Jewel Lloyd, solid shooting guard, Breanna Stewart, front runner for MVP (unless EDD makes a push), and some solid surrounding pieces. You don't have to reinvent the wheel with that lineup.

Reaction Score
Seattle looks like one of the top 3 teams in the league, which is pretty surprising considering last year's performance, but not so surprising when you look at their roster: Sue Bird, Jewel Lloyd, solid shooting guard, Breanna Stewart, front runner for MVP (unless EDD makes a push), and some solid surrounding pieces. You don't have to reinvent the wheel with that lineup.
The years with Jenny, they would go for minutes on offense where Stewie didn't touch the ball. With Dan, Stewie almost always is involved, unless you have a fast break.

Reaction Score
And last night versus Washington another double-digit game: Ten minutes, ten points. Plus a couple of rebounds and an assist.

And as in previous games, KML's contribution proved the margin of victory.

Oh, and with another 2-3 3-point shooting night, she is now shooting over 50% from range!!!

Way to go!!!!

Reaction Score
Indeed it was another great game by KML last night. And I see a lot of upside from here. She remains underutilized, as her teammates still are not getting her sufficiently involved in plays when she's on the floor.

I'm with you, Willie, I never doubted her. This is the woman who put her team on her back in the 2015 National Championship, sinking dagger after dagger late in that game to secure victory over a very good opponent. Anyone who fully appreciates what she achieved in that game will know that in the big moments, you never bet against Kaleena.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Briann January is at .522. Cecilia Zandalasini, who recently qualified with enough attempts to be among the leader, is at .519. Kaleena is at .509. Kaleena has the most attempts among this group. She had never shot above .354 for a season in the W, but she's showing her old college form again.

Reaction Score
Briann January is at .522. Cecilia Zandalasini, who recently qualified with enough attempts to be among the leader, is at .519. Kaleena is at .509. Kaleena has the most attempts among this group. She had never shot above .354 for a season in the W, but she's showing her old college form again.

Apropos of international players, this Zandalasini, a young Italian, looks like a typical European player: able to shoot from outside as well as play under the basket. Seems to be the product of European club training.

Have I got that right?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Apropos of international players, this Zandalasini, a young Italian, looks like a typical European player: able to shoot from outside as well as play under the basket. Seems to be the product of European club training.

Have I got that right?
Zandalasini was rated #4 overall by HoopGurlz in 2015 (same year as Lou and Pheesa), so she has talent and potential. She is still young, but she gives Minnesota a much-needed injection of young talent.

Some of the players ranked BELOW Cecelia:

Collier
Anigwe
Ogunbowale
Brown
Mabrey
Cunningham

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors