Don't forget Allie | The Boneyard

Don't forget Allie

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Allie Ziebell, 2024 commit, is one of 3 17 year olds on the USA U19 world cup team. In yesterdays game she played a little over 10 minutes, scoring 3 points and leading the team in steals with 2. She was 1-3 from the field, 1-2 on three pointers. This team has CBB experience with KiKi Rice and Gotie McMahon. The team should have won by an even bigger margin, but they played very sloppy. The guards passing was very soft, leading to too many needless turnovers. Brea Cunningham had 15 rebounds in a backup role, easily outplaying Grace Van Slooten. Games are on YouTube live and are available to see after the game has ended.

Reaction Score
I thought she did quite well in limited minutes. Most of those in first half. On again at 12:15 today.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I thought Alli looked more comfortable today than yesterday.

I'm finding it interesting watching Egypt(very week team?) to get a feel for Jana. Then watching the USA ( very strong team?) to get a feel for Allie.

It seems as if everyone says it takes the big girls longer to develop their basketball skills. . . If that applies to Jana Oh! My! Goodness! We are in for a treat.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree Allie looks much more confident than in the exhibition games.

I do find Team USA’s style of play both in this and in the Amercul quite frustrating to watch. It’s very much just bully ball, throw it into the paint and hope to get a call. The guard play in particular has been lacking in both levels imo.

Joyce Edwards looks great though finishing around the basket. I thought she was more of a forward/wing player but she hasn’t shown much skill outside of 2 feet around the rim yet. Dominant in the post for sure though.

Reaction Score
Geno loves guards who can shoot. Allie can come off a screen and catch and shoot with the best of them. I love guards that come into college that can shoot the 3 ball. We will have Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ashlynn, Qadence. Who I believe are great 3 point shooters. Makes the spacing for opeening up the lane for the bigs, slashers and back doors plays in our offense.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Allie played 20 minutes against Germany, looking much more confident from her first outing. Learning a bit about some of her teammates who were highly regarded players that I have not seen much of. Joyce Edwards is all around the basket, Brea Cunningham is a great rebounder, but the player that impressed me the most was Chloe Kitts. Good all-around game, around the basket, good handle, and can shoot from outside. She also looks taller than I imagined. McMahon is a ball hog, and too much one on one by a few players for my taste. But, my sole major interest is only in Allie and Jana. I just learned during yesterday's game that although there are 3 17 year olds, only Allie won't be moving on to college ball this season. That is a huge complement for her, and I can't wait for her and Morgan to get here in 23-24. She looks like she belongs.

Reaction Score
Allie played 20 minutes against Germany, looking much more confident from her first outing. Learning a bit about some of her teammates who were highly regarded players that I have not seen much of. Joyce Edwards is all around the basket, Brea Cunningham is a great rebounder, but the player that impressed me the most was Chloe Kitts. Good all-around game, around the basket, good handle, and can shoot from outside. She also looks taller than I imagined. McMahon is a ball hog, and too much one on one by a few players for my taste. But, my sole major interest is only in Allie and Jana. I just learned during yesterday's game that although there are 3 17 year olds, only Allie won't be moving on to college ball this season. That is a huge complement for her, and I can't wait for her and Morgan to get here in 23-24. She looks like she belongs.
Edwards will also be playing her HS senior season this winter.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If anyone who's been watching has thoughts on Lepolo, I'd welcome them. From the box score it seems she's the starting PG and is getting some good assists and occasional looks from outside, but welcome any additional thoughts from what you can see. Thanks!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If anyone who's been watching has thoughts on Lepolo, I'd welcome them. From the box score it seems she's the starting PG and is getting some good assists and occasional looks from outside, but welcome any additional thoughts from what you can see. Thanks!
She's been okay. Nothing about her game grabs your attention; she's been steady and efficient on offense which is what USA Basketball hoped for. She's not a + defender but hasn't needed to be so far. Much different than Hidalgo who is more dynamic and calls her own number more often (w/out much success so far). I questioned the choice of Lepolo as I don't see her having a future with USA basketball. I suppose the team wanted someone with college experience to take pressure off of the younger Hidalgo. Again, she has played to expectations so far.

The more interesting decision is playing Rice off the ball rather than at the point. I may be wrong but I recall Rice playing the point at UCLA and on last year's U18 team. In any event, Rice is not a good shooter and that's proven to be true in this event so far. Team USA's front court is so superior to the opposition that the questionable perimeter shooting hasn't hurt thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's been okay. Nothing about her game grabs your attention; she's been steady on offense which is what USA Basketball hoped for. She's not a + defender but hasn't needed to be so far. Much different than Hidalgo who is more dynamic and calls her own number more often (w/out much success so far). I questioned the choice of Lepolo as I don't see her having a future with USA basketball. I suppose the team wanted someone with college experience to take pressure off of the younger Hidalgo. Again, she has played to expectations so far.

The more interesting decision is playing Rice off the ball rather than at the point. I may be wrong but I recall Rice playing the point at UCLA and on last year's U18 team. In any event, Rice is not a good shooter and that's proven to be true in this event so far. Team USA's front court is so superior to the opposition that the questionable perimeter shooting hasn't hurt thus far.
Rice isn't much of a PG when I watch her at UCLA. She's great at creating her own shot around the basket and.... not much else. She may take the ball up for UCLA but she doesn't take on any traditional point guard duties there from what I've seen.
I know UCLA added Betts but after seeing Osborne, Rice and Jones all play the last two weeks and show the consistent poor decision making (borderline selfish play) and streaky perimeter shooting that limited them significantly last year, I question how much of a contender they can really be. I think they'll take a step forward but not seeing how the pieces on that roster with Jive into the top 5 team everyone seems to be expecting.

Reaction Score
I think she looks like one of the only high basketball I players on the court. Not flashy but one of the better passers on a team that sorely needs passing and basketball IQ.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rice isn't much of a PG when I watch her at UCLA. She's great at creating her own shot around the basket and.... not much else. She may take the ball up for UCLA but she doesn't take on any traditional point guard duties there from what I've seen.
I know UCLA added Betts but after seeing Osborne, Rice and Jones all play the last two weeks and show the consistent poor decision making (borderline selfish play) and streaky perimeter shooting that limited them significantly last year, I question how much of a contender they can really be. I think they'll take a step forward but not seeing how the pieces on that roster with Jive into the top 5 team everyone seems to be expecting.
Could be why USA BB decided to go with Lepolo at the point rather than Rice who tends to call her own number a lot. LIke you said. Rice is very good at drawing contact and getting to the line but is not much of a perimeter shooter and her top priority is not getting others involved in the offense.

Reaction Score
As far as I can see, Allie is (perhaps not concsiously) routinely overlooked on the perimeter in the games I’ve watched so far. If that team had players (including the point guards) that were actively looking (and passing) to the open woman, Allie would be raising some eyebrows, I can hardly count the number of times she’s been wide open, all alone with no one within 10 feet of her only to be ignored in favor of some wild one on one drive into a crowd! Admittedly, the US team is so physically dominant that they really don’t need perimeter scoring, so perhaps that is simply the game plan. Anyway, I think Allie is going to thrive at UConn!

Reaction Score
As far as I can see, Allie is (perhaps not concsiously) routinely overlooked on the perimeter in the games I’ve watched so far. If that team had players (including the point guards) that were actively looking (and passing) to the open woman, Allie would be raising some eyebrows, I can hardly count the number of times she’s been wide open, all alone with no one within 10 feet of her only to be ignored in favor of some wild one on one drive into a crowd! Admittedly, the US team is so physically dominant that they really don’t need perimeter scoring, so perhaps that is simply the game plan. Anyway, I think Allie is going to thrive at UConn!
I agree with this completely. She’s seemingly the one of the only ones that understands proper spacing and getting open in the perimeter and yet every play is US player taking it wildly into 3-4 defenders hoping to get the foul or that a wild shot drops. It’s just bully ball at its finest and I’d imagine it will catch up the the US at some point if there are any teams they don’t have an overwhelming size advantage over.

Reaction Score
I usually dont post negative things about players but I have been thinking a lot of the same thoughts about Rice and Osborne. Rice really has no outside shot and tends to drive into traffice and trowing up a shot versus kicking it to an open shooter.Osborne is a low percentage high volume shooter. I hope they are working on their entry passes to Betts.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree with this completely. She’s seemingly the one of the only ones that understands proper spacing and getting open in the perimeter and yet every play is US player taking it wildly into 3-4 defenders hoping to get the foul or that a wild shot drops. It’s just bully ball at its finest and I’d imagine it will catch up the the US at some point if there are any teams they don’t have an overwhelming size advantage over.
Who is coaching?

Reaction Score
Not Allie’s finest shooting but she did eke out the most minutes today.
She looked much more confident across the board imo, even though her shots weren't dropping. Both ball handling, rebounding and defensively it looked like she was thinking less and just doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom