Don't beat yourself up, Kaleena | The Boneyard

Don't beat yourself up, Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think with KML, it's more like it was with Maya: she is her own worst critic but she will channel it into motivation and becoming a better player. KML is whip smart, a little cocky naturally (in a good way) and mentally tough. Now, if the same thing happened to Heather I'd be a bit worried....!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know what "too down" means but I hope she reacts like another talented frosh that underperformed in a big game.

"She was curling, I passed the ball out [to where Hartley was] and she fell. That’s what happened."

I did find that statement misleading - at least not from what I saw (or thought I saw). To me it looked like Hartley fell trying to reach a very poor pass from KML.
The statement seems to put at least some of the onus on Hartley.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think with KML, it's more like it was with Maya: she is her own worst critic but she will channel it into motivation and becoming a better player. KML is whip smart, a little cocky naturally (in a good way) and mentally tough. Now, if the same thing happened to Heather I'd be a bit worried....!
Agree- I interpreted her quotes as taking ownership and being determined to do better in the future. I think she'll be more than fine.

HGN

Reaction Score
The team lost the game, not KML. I hope she doesn't get too down on herself because of one play.

Mosqueda-Lewis on her big turnover at Notre Dame, Courant
I just hope KML is not too thin-skinned and can take the wrath of GA....If she can, she will become a great great player. He can , and will, push her to greater heights and the true greatness that awaits her....A turnover here and there is going to happen. In regular season , tournaments , and Championship games. I just hope she continues to play through it and not get too down on herself. In the long run she will win far more games for us than she will lose.

Reaction Score
Hey KLM, one turnover may one game determine, at this time, but ' does not a season make'. You have such great potential, lots of room on top. Go for it!

Reaction Score
This is sports.

There are those that "screw up" on the biggest stage and/or at the key moment, detest but never forget the feeling and use it as fuel for unwavering, dogged determination to work and improve - to "never let it happen again."

Taurasi vs. Notre Dame. Tina Charles vs. Stanford. Michael Jordan failing to make his high school team.

Then there are those who simply never recover.

I believe these are traits grown and determined over the course of a persons development - from childhood to high school to whenever. And I believe - at this point - mental toughness can only come from within; it's either present or it's not.

From her interviews, Ms. Lewis has shown a great attitude - as she's said many times - she "emigrated" 3000 miles to face these types of challenges.

She'll have many of them over the next four years.

It'll be very interesting to see how she fares on Feb 27 when Notre Dame comes to town. I wouldn't bet against her...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I don't know what "too down" means but I hope she reacts like another talented frosh that underperformed in a big game.

"She was curling, I passed the ball out [to where Hartley was] and she fell. That’s what happened."

I did find that statement misleading - at least not from what I saw (or thought I saw). To me it looked like Hartley fell trying to reach a very poor pass from KML.

I watched the play 3 times before I wiped the recording. Bria fell to her right after a mis-step on her curl and Kaleena threw the ball to Bria's left. Even if Bria hadn't fallen, she'd have needed to abort her curl to get the ball, which would have been on her left side.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Kaleena and I saw it as she described it during the game. Of course, TV angles can be problematic. Whether a perfect pass or not it wasn't the pass that took Bria to the ground but falling certainly didn't help her ability to reach the ball.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Going 1/15 in the national semi-final game did not destroy DT's career, and it seems to me that KML is made out of pretty much the same stuff. She won't just be ok, she will be excellent.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I watched the play 3 times before I wiped the recording. Bria fell to her right after a mis-step on her curl and Kaleena threw the ball to Bria's left. Even if Bria hadn't fallen, she'd have needed to abort her curl to get the ball, which would have been on her left side.

I think I saw it the same except except I thought Hartley's mistep was because she was off balance. Maybe somebody that still has it recorded can give an unbiased opinion of what went wrong.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Going 1/15 in the national semi-final game did not destroy DT's career, and it seems to me that KML is made out of pretty much the same stuff. She won't just be ok, she will be excellent.

Just thinking that before I scrolled down to you.

Reaction Score
KML will be fine. Just so refreshing to see a sports figure taking personal responsibility for a poor play. That to me is the type of leadership every team could use.
I saw no sign of incincerety or despair in her comments. She'll bounce back with a vengence.

Reaction Score
KML will be fine; people tend to forget that she is only a freshman. She will learn from the Notre Dame game and be that much better the rest of the season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm reminded of something simple yet profound Doc Rivers said to his team during a timeout. I believe this was the 2010 playoffs late in a tightly-contested game. Specifically, he said:

"It's not supposed to be easy!"

KML is learning that lesson now, and she'll be better for it.

Reaction Score
Fab Five calling time out towards the end of the game when there were no time outs left...oops. The ND game must have felt like big time and judgement was compromised - welcome to big time college ball. Got lots of love for KML, the world is still spinning and we are all still on it and right behind you. ND doesn't feel bad for you - they are still SCARED of you! Go KML and go UConn!

Reaction Score
That's correct. If a curl is to work, it has to be sharp and tight. Bria would have needed 12 foot arms to reach it. It has already been stated that KML was in the wrong spot on the floor. Nevertheless, it is best just to forget about it....several mistakes had already been made by many players in the game.

Reaction Score
That's correct. If a curl is to work, it has to be sharp and tight. Bria would have needed 12 foot arms to reach it. It has already been stated that KML was in the wrong spot on the floor. Nevertheless, it is best just to forget about it....several mistakes had already been made by many players in the game.

Amen bro, let's let it lie.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm reminded of something simple yet profound Doc Rivers said to his team during a timeout. I believe this was the 2010 playoffs late in a tightly-contested game. Specifically, he said:

"It's not supposed to be easy!"

KML is learning that lesson now, and she'll be better for it.

And that is something people consistently forget.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Returning to the title of the original post, reminds me of some Broadway song that Patti Lupone sings well and often: "Don't cry for Ge-no, Kaleena."
Back to you, Wonkster.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

this threw everything "off-balance" IMO... but moving on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom