Don't be Greedy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't be Greedy

Reaction Score
Show me one quote by either player that they’re expecting to have spots reserved for them on the next Olympic team. Show me how you know they WANT more and are greedy.
I suspect you are right HuskyNan that they probably have not given a public quote to that affect. If they did make some kind of a statement indicating they felt it should be an honor for past deeds, or an entitlement of some kind, then I could see the criticism, but I doubt that they have, and doubt that they will.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make the Olympic Team one more time, emphasis on "make" based on their play. Having said that if the US sent their 12 best players and the games were today, I doubt if either player would be quite good enough for that team, and in two years the odds are even less, but if they are better than their competition let them go.

Reaction Score
What the poster did not say is that the selection committee might find it very difficult to not include Bird and Taurasi, even if coaches feel that they are not among the best 12. Who wants to be the coach who cuts those two?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Calling out Sue and DT:

Been to 5 Olympics and Medaled in each. That should be enough.
5 big bites of the apple in a competition that comes around just every 4 years.

COME ON - don't be so 'freekin greedy, let someone else have a go.

Sue (42) and DT (39) - REALLY, it's time to move on.
Did you do one iota of research before blathering on and smearing Sue and Diana’s names?

UHF

Reaction Score
Calling out Sue and DT:

Thank you ... for your interest in UConn Women's Basketball ... past, present, and future.

Have you considered directly contacting Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi with your opinions?

:p
:D

https://twitter.com/s10bird?lang=en

UHF

Reaction Score
AAgh! you all miss the salient points.

1) The Olympics are held every four years
2) Team rosters are limited to 12 players.
3) For the last 5 Olympic games, there were a total of 60 available spots.

Of those 60 spots Sue and DT grabbed 10.

And, they want more.

Greedy and self indulging, methinks!

Have you considered directly contacting Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi with your opinions?

:p :D

https://twitter.com/dianataurasi?lang=en

Reaction Score
AAgh! you all miss the salient points.

1) The Olympics are held every four years
2) Team rosters are limited to 12 players.
3) For the last 5 Olympic games, there were a total of 60 available spots.

Of those 60 spots Sue and DT grabbed 10.

And, they want more.
Methinks it is you Big Mick, who misses the point. No, actually everyone who has responded to your OP apparently thinks you are the one missing the point. You are the only one who thinks it would be greedy.

If Sue and Di wanted to play and earned their spot, who would you have take their place regardless?

This is what I meant by my "participation trophies" comment. Too many people in this country think that competition is bad and that talent and hard work should not be rewarded.

Perhaps you think Jeff Bezos should give away all his stock so someone else has a chance to be a multi-billionaire. Elon Musk and Warren Buffet too. Perhaps Tom Brady should not be allowed to play in any more Super Bowls even at his age. Maybe Steph Curry should not be allowed to compete for this year's NBA championships. Let's take away some of Michael Phelp's gold medals because he competed in too many Olympics.

Jim

Reaction Score
Having said that if the US sent their 12 best players and the games were today, ...
Stop with the "12 best player" nonsense. Basketball is a team sport and the goal should be to send the best team. A player can be extremely talented, have success with her existing WNBA teammates, and yet not be an optimal fit for the Olympic team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is also an experience factor - while people decry the need for WNBA players to play overseas in their off-season, players like Sue and DT developed significantly during their overseas play - they also learned the international game which is different from the US game, international officiating which is different, and developed a large data base of styles of play and of international players that is valuable in the NT competitions. It is great that some WNBA players have developed income sources during the off season that preclude their need to play overseas, but I think it may have hurt their development and specifically their development as potential NT players.

In almost all sports there is a balance between youth and experience - the older an athlete gets the greater their knowledge of the sport, at the same time the older they get the more their body breaks down. The experience that Sue and DT and others have developed over their careers is an asset to any team they play on - their bodies may not allow them to do everything they could do a decade ago, but their experience may allow them to do better than their inexperience allowed them to do a decade ago - and their ability to share that knowledge and experience with younger teammates can be a valuable resource, just as it was for them to learn from Dawn and others earlier in their careers.

Reaction Score
In what world will Sue and Diana be the “best” athlete or even among the top 20 best basketball athletes in 2024? I have to agree with the op. Them being a part of the 2024 Olympic Team will be much more about their egos than anything else. I admire them both as players who are clearly among the very best that have ever played but yeah, it’s time to be graceful and let a new generation step up.
Yeah.
UCONN always wins the Big East.
Whadda day we come in 2nd this year?
Really?
I think I’ll side with Gordon Gecko on this one.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The Senior Woman's League is waiting for Sue and Diana :rolleyes:
Senior WBB.jpg

Reaction Score
Calling out Sue and DT:

When someone beats them out for their position that’s when they should stop playing.
It’s not fair whah whah Whah…..

Reaction Score
Methinks it is you Big Mick, who misses the point. No, actually everyone who has responded to your OP apparently thinks you are the one missing the point. You are the only one who thinks it would be greedy.

If Sue and Di wanted to play and earned their spot, who would you have take their place regardless?

This is what I meant by my "participation trophies" comment. Too many people in this country think that competition is bad and that talent and hard work should not be rewarded.

Perhaps you think Jeff Bezos should give away all his stock so someone else has a chance to be a multi-billionaire. Elon Musk and Warren Buffet too. Perhaps Tom Brady should not be allowed to play in any more Super Bowls even at his age. Maybe Steph Curry should not be allowed to compete for this year's NBA championships. Let's take away some of Michael Phelp's gold medals because he competed in too many Olympics.
Does he even age though? And this is coming from a Bills fan here. ;)

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how people think Sue and Dee run the team and make all of the decisions. I thought there was a committee for that.

An athlete does what they can to put themselves into a favorable position—that’s what is under Sue/Dee’s control if they choose to continue. It is the responsibility of the committee to select the best team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
(looking around sheepishly...)

Even the most diehard fans gotta admit there's quite a bit of tradeoff at this point w/ both Bird and Taurasi in that they can't really guard anybody on the dribble drive. They're getting killed in the WNBA this season. Nigeria and Japan both drove at will on them in the Olympics. I thought defense was an important part of the game too?

Reaction Score
The Olympic Team spots are not for “best WNBA guards.” The position description is much different and includes: knowing how to lead a team of other superstars, playing under international rules, being willing to make the commitment to show up for camps and tournaments other than the Olympics, being willing to sacrifice your own stats for the team and playing under the incredible pressure and weight of history that the U.S. Senior National Team plays under. There are a lot of incredible guards in the WNBA, many of which may be ”better” than Sue and/or Diana right now at playing in the WNBA. But that isn’t really the point.

Also, labeling Sue and Diana as greedy or motivated by ego is just unfounded and gross. Do better.

Maybe a better point of discussion and criticism would be USA Basketball’s lack of identification and integration of their heirs, and the lack of those heirs‘ ability to assert themselves and seize the positions.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
(looking around sheepishly...)

Even the most diehard fans gotta admit there's quite a bit of tradeoff at this point w/ both Bird and Taurasi in that they can't really guard anybody on the dribble drive. They're getting killed in the WNBA this season. Nigeria and Japan both drove at will on them in the Olympics. I thought defense was an important part of the game too?
Sue said last year she’s not playing in another Olympics. You can leave her out of your criticsms

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom