Don't be Greedy | The Boneyard

Don't be Greedy

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Calling out Sue and DT:

Been to 5 Olympics and Medaled in each. That should be enough.
5 big bites of the apple in a competition that comes around just every 4 years.

COME ON - don't be so 'freekin greedy, let someone else have a go.

Sue (42) and DT (39) - REALLY, it's time to move on.

Reaction Score
???
Isn't the next Olympic games that feature basketball scheduled for Paris in 2024 ?
Are you assuming both Sue and Diana will both want to play and qualify for the USA team ?
It's not going to happen, so you can put your feint rage away.

Reaction Score
Aren't the Olympics supposed to be a gathering of the world's best athletes? So why, every 4 years I read these posts that don't want the best athletes there? Sharing? Giving others a chance is for kindergarden. Any athlete who still stands at the pinnacle of their sport over 16 years should be honored, not told to step aside.

Reaction Score
Greedy???

So Jack Nicklaus should have walked away after winning only 17 majors,
and Tom Brady should have walked away after playing 21 years in the NFL, and Nolan Ryan should have left the pitching mound after 26 years instead of 27? And all because someone they didn't even know thought they were being greedy? Oh, and Geno should have retired after 10 championships? Seriously?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thumbs down on the original post. Sue's only 3rd in the league in APG, and Dee is only 6th. Just awful. Seems like they should retire now... :rolleyes:

1653345984157.png

Reaction Score
Aren't the Olympics supposed to be a gathering of the world's best athletes? So why, every 4 years I read these posts that don't want the best athletes there? Sharing? Giving others a chance is for kindergarden. Any athlete who still stands at the pinnacle of their sport over 16 years should be honored, not told to step aside.
In what world will Sue and Diana be the “best” athlete or even among the top 20 best basketball athletes in 2024? I have to agree with the op. Them being a part of the 2024 Olympic Team will be much more about their egos than anything else. I admire them both as players who are clearly among the very best that have ever played but yeah, it’s time to be graceful and let a new generation step up.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don`t buy the “get out of the way in favor of a younger player” argument. Sports should always be a meritocracy. If the younger player is better and more valuable to a team, let her show it on the court. If an older player is just hanging on, it will become obvious at some point. We can all think of examples.

Some players leave when they are at or near the top of their game but that is pretty rare. A great player in the twilight of her career can still be very good. The love of the game does not diminish with age, typically.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...... feint rage ...

..... not told to step aside.

..... participation trophies .....

..... Seriously?

AAgh! you all miss the salient points.

1) The Olympics are held every four years
2) Team rosters are limited to 12 players.
3) For the last 5 Olympic games, there were a total of 60 available spots.

Of those 60 spots Sue and DT grabbed 10.

And, they want more.

Greedy and self indulging, methinks!

Reaction Score
There may be women who can run faster and jump higher but they can't play basketball as good and that's what I was saying.

Why is it that it's only UConn or their players that win too much? I missed the petition to get MJ to leave the game so others could flourish. When was that? And I don't remember anyone saying that Summitt needed to retire after she won 3 straight in the 90's? How about the 8 or 9 straight titles by my Celtics. It's only now that I realize how selfish they were to keep winning all those years.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Reaction Score
In what world will Sue and Diana be the “best” athlete or even among the top 20 best basketball athletes in 2024? I have to agree with the op. Them being a part of the 2024 Olympic Team will be much more about their egos than anything else. I admire them both as players who are clearly among the very best that have ever played but yeah, it’s time to be graceful and let a new generation step up.

Where did I mention 2024? This topic was hot in 2000. I was sick of the "give someone else a chance" posts then. In reality it's fans of other guards who want to see their personal heroines play. There were a lot of good centers in the NBA during the Russell/Chamberlain era and none of them ever made the allstar roster.

2024? If they can win the jobs in 2028 then good for them.

I hope that when some of you "give the youngsters a chance" folks remember that the next time you need surgery. Make sure you get a surgical resident to open you up instead the chief surgeon. (just kidding) :D

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What prompted this thread? The Paris Olympics are in 2024. The World Cup in Australia is first up later this year. Has the team been announced? I’m confused.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I am amazed that someone thinks it is “greedy” to practice one’s craft at a high level. I wonder how we should consider Stanley Drucker. He joined the New York Philharmonic Orchestra in 1948. In 1960 he became its principal clarinetist. He held that post, based on merit, for over 60 years. Just imagine if some ardent fan had called for him to retire, to make room for a younger musician.

If a mature, seasoned athlete is chosen for an Olympic roster, their duty is to strive to win for their sport and nation.

Reaction Score
if they are top 12 players in the Wnba fine, the problem was ppl didn't feel they were this past season. Bird probably was, Taurasi was a debate.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Do they say the same things to the NBA players?
They don't have to. The NBA guys aren't nearly as motivated to play in the Olympics as the WNBA players. Since the original Dream Team, it lost some of its cachet and they often can't get the best players to even participate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A world I like to call earth. What world do you live in? Look, the Olympic committee will either put Bird and Taurasi on, or they won’t. If they do it’s because they feel they give us the best chance to win.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The world cup is this fall. Two years from now I doubt Bird will still be playing, and quite possibly neither will DT so most of the Olympic question is moot, I do wonder if either or both will be part of this years world cup.

As for National team roster the committee puts it together with probably some consultation from the coach. For the last 20 years Sue has been part of that team on merit and for the last 18 DT has been as well. They are the most proficient PG and Shooting guard in WNBA history and probably the best the US has ever produced and certainly the most decorated. And being part of USA basketball is a commitment that a lot of players don't want - it means showing up for training camps instead of attending fashion week or whatever else and being as committed to the less glamorous WC training and competitions as well as the Olympics. Another player from that generation was Catching who made the same kind of commitment and was given the 12th place on an Olympic squad during her retirement year as a thank you for her previous 16 years of commitment.

The NT has consistently looked for other guards and most teams have had 3 or 4 additional guards to Sue and DT. None of those guards have supplanted Sue and DT in the past and those that also made one or more teams have not outlasted them. Last year at the Olympics Sue still led the team in assists by a wide margin - basically double the next nearest guard. The 'next up' players haven't actually performed for the team as well as the old guard. As the next up players in the WNBA have failed to displace either Sue or DT from their starting spots on their WNBA teams. They aren't keeping those spots because of 'charity' they earn them every game.

And just a note - Teresa Edwards would have played in 6 Olympics except for the USA boycott so it aint just Uconn - it is excellence.

Reaction Score
Dumbest post of the year so far, congrats.
And that is really hard to do here. I'm impressed.

I would like to think that neither Sue nor DT would ever accept a charity spot on an Olympic team. Too much professional pride.

Reaction Score
For the last 5 Olympic games, there were a total of 60 available spots.

And, they want more.

Silly me! I thought participation on Olympic teams in the USA were EARNED not grabbed. Also, the word "greedy" houses negative implications for most folks.

We all have the right to our own opinions, you're covered there. On this board however, this opinion of yours will not win you any popularity points. Now, if you take this scenario of yours down south to VolNation, they just may set you up for a coronation. What a country!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They don't have to. The NBA guys aren't nearly as motivated to play in the Olympics as the WNBA players. Since the original Dream Team, it lost some of its cachet and they often can't get the best players to even participate.
That wasn’t the point of Kaizen’s musing. Greed is good for men, not so much for the other gender.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
AAgh! you all miss the salient points.

1) The Olympics are held every four years
2) Team rosters are limited to 12 players.
3) For the last 5 Olympic games, there were a total of 60 available spots.

And, they want more.

Show me one quote by either player that they’re expecting to have spots reserved for them on the next Olympic team. Show me how you know they want more and are greedy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom