Don't be fooled by the numbers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't be fooled by the numbers

Reaction Score
I GUARANTEEE … the Football played in Quebec & Ontario is more passing and wide-open than any played at the high school level in New England or NY. Maybe even including the Prep schools. They PLAY CFL rules. And go watch the tape.

this is irrelevant. He throws sidearm and he isn’t consistent. His ceiling is very low at the moment.

Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis is not a very good QB. His mechanics are terrible. He is inaccurate. Has no situational awareness or even basic football aptitute. He panics in tough situations. He has trouble reading defenses. He has ball security issues.

He has been a good kid and has represented the university well. But his performance under pressure has been extremely poor. We can't win with him.

Holy cow, what a stupid post. 418 yards and three TD's from a true freshman and you run to your computer after the game to post that he has "no football aptitude"

Look in the mirror you won't find any football aptitude there either.

Classic post from the guy who always and forever wants the coach to put the back-up in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I GUARANTEEE … the Football played in Quebec & Ontario is more passing and wide-open than any played at the high school level in New England or NY. Maybe even including the Prep schools. They PLAY CFL rules.
Even though Canadian football's played with 12 guys, Canada's much larger regular field dimensions and end zones 2X deeper result in markedly larger space to cover on D. Unless my state school math's worse than I believe, it's no shocker gridiron's more wide open in the Great White North. With only 3 downs versus 4 and more space to cover, that must also contribute to additional passing. Warren Moon must have loved Canadian prairie rules!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis is not a very good QB. His mechanics are terrible. He is inaccurate. Has no situational awareness or even basic football aptitute. He panics in tough situations. He has trouble reading defenses. He has ball security issues.

He has been a good kid and has represented the university well. But his performance under pressure has been extremely poor. We can't win with him.

He is a doggone Freshman who has improved as the season has gone on. His touch on passes has improved a lot. He needs to throw the ball away if nothing is there, instead of taking a sack.

Reaction Score
Holy cow, what a stupid post. 418 yards and three TD's from a true freshman and you run to your computer after the game to post that he has "no football aptitude"

Classic post from the guy who always and forever wants the coach to put the back-up in.

Don't be fooled by the numbers. He knows how to throw one kind of pass. A low line drive. Read my post if you have a problem with any of my observations tell me which one is wrong.

I want the coach to play the players who produce. If a player is not producing, then let's see if there is anyone on the team who can. That can only be done by seeing them in an actual game. That is how most winning coaches in college football evaluate performance. Your system of never seeing understudies not only results in constant losing, it has the side effect of never producing depth. It's a double loser.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't be fooled by the numbers. He knows how to throw one kind of pass. A low line drive. Read my post if you have a problem with any of my observations tell me which one is wrong.

I want the coach to play the players who produce. If a player is not producing, then let's see if there is anyone on the team who can. That can only be done by seeing them in an actual game. That is how most winning coaches in college football evaluate performance. Your system of never seeing understudies not only results in constant losing, it has the side effect of never producing depth. It's a double loser.

You were doing good until your second and third sentences.

Multiple passes he threw yesterday had touch and loft on them including his first pass of the day.

It's fair to criticize his unwillingness to throw the ball away to avoid sacks. It's fair to say his side arm slinging will limit his production against better teams.

He has improved significantly since September with touch passes.

Reaction Score
He throws a better ball as a Freshman than Frazer did as a senior and he is in fact better than Boyle was as a Freshman.

Some posters are letting their feelings toward the coach and the last nine year of frustration cloud their judgement of a player who has been on campus 6 months. Casey had been on campus 20 months when he finally broke through.

Jack Zergiotis is going to be a good one and we are lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Multiple passes he threw yesterday had touch and loft on them including his first pass of the day.

It's fair to criticize his unwillingness to throw the ball away to avoid sacks. It's fair to say his side arm slinging will limit his production against better teams.

his best past of the day was the touch pass to Mensah as an outlet on that pseudo wheel route. It was a perfect touch pass he dropped in the bucket. Its not his arm that concerns me. Its his feet. Move him off the X and he is a complete mess.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if you smoke crack. WTH does that have to do with Z ?
Just thought I'd post that fact somewhere rather than create a new thread. Sorry if it gave you crack flashbacks.

Reaction Score
Just playing both sides here. The kid shows some good, bad and ugly while playing the position. From where i stand Steven Krajewski looks like he has a nice awareness and throws a nice ball. Bottom line, this team needs an OC and some big boys to clog the middle, linebackers with speed and corners who can cover. in short, we need a lot but I remain hopeful!

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

yes, this... the one he floated to Mensah was nice, thrown right at me...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Jack Zergiotis has lots of work to do but being a freshman, the highs are great and the lows are abysmal. RE said after game that Steven Krajewski just came back to practice this week and RE told him he was getting in the 1st half. Steven Krajewski was rusty and it showed. Next week he should see more time.

Reaction Score
this is irrelevant. He throws sidearm and he isn’t consistent. His ceiling is very low at the moment.

I really don't believe these posts. He threw for over 400 yards. Yes he made too many mistakes, presumably because he's a true frosh who never played American rules football until this year. One can be taught to eliminate mistakes. It's much harder to get a kid without talent to throw for 400 yards in a game.

I understand that we just finished three god awful years under Edsall. Say that to your heart's content -- I just did. But when that turns into bashing everyone and everything no matter what the board becomes unreadable.

Reaction Score
I really don't believe these posts. He threw for over 400 yards. Yes he made too many mistakes, presumably because he's a true frosh who never played American rules football until this year. One can be taught to eliminate mistakes. It's much harder to get a kid without talent to throw for 400 yards in a game.

I understand that we just finished three god awful years under Edsall. Say that to your heart's content -- I just did. But when that turns into bashing everyone and everything no matter what the board becomes unreadable.

From what expert coaches are saying, it’s pretty hard to unlearn that trait.

Reaction Score

Read this and learn to understand it. There is a difference between games and practice. Games are more important and only games can show you what a player is.

We see Bouknight every day in practice, but you can’t anticipate, when the lights would come on, the level he was going to perform at,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said. “What separates good from great or really good from special is what happens when the lights come on and you throw them out there with those refs and those fans.

Reaction Score
IMO, one MAJOR issue we have with our QB situation... coaching. Again, the successful programs have coaches that actually have experienced coaches coaching a position they've coached for awhile. That helps, a lot more than we want to come to the realization. We get guys learning on the job... Which means an additional learning curve for us.. Which means more growing pains for us.. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
From what expert coaches are saying, it’s pretty hard to unlearn that trait.

What trait? His motion? His motion was good enough to throw for over 400 yards. If he learns the game, and learns when to throw the ball away (like when you're second and goal from the 6), he'll be a good QB by the time he's done.

Reaction Score
What trait? His motion? His motion was good enough to throw for over 400 yards. If he learns the game, and learns when to throw the ball away (like when you're second and goal from the 6), he'll be a good QB by the time he's done.
It’s nice to throw over 400 yards but that’s not the only benchmark to use. There is a difference when a qb throws a two yard pass and the receiver runs for 48 yards as opposed to a qb who throws a 48 yard pass and the receiver runs for two yards. They both go in the book as a 50 yard pass. The completion percentage and TD to INT ratio are other guidelines to use. Jack Zergiotis has some tools, but as mentioned in a previous post, there is no coaching to help him develop. This team has had three QB coaches in three years and Lashlee was the most experienced of them all and none of our qb’s were coached by him. Hopefully, they can find someone that can actually develop our qb’s to the next level or nothing will change

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The guy is a true freshman QB who doesn't lock in on only one target. That in itself is something we haven't seen. Biggest play of the game and the coaching staff calls a play where the main receivers run into each other. I'm not ready to fault the QB.

Reaction Score
He seems very reluctant to run. There were times this year he had wide open space with just his receiver and the db in front of him yards downfield only to stop short of the LOS and throw across his body to the opposite side of the field. I had wondered if this contributed to the fumble on the Qb sneak.

Reaction Score
He seems very reluctant to run. There were times this year he had wide open space with just his receiver and the db in front of him yards downfield only to stop short of the LOS and throw across his body to the opposite side of the field. I had wondered if this contributed to the fumble on the Qb sneak.
I think the fumble happened because he never takes the snap from under center.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
For those who think Jack Zergiotis has not been coached - RE talked about working with him on lofting a ball. had him throw into trash cans. The floater to Mensah and the loft to Ross for 94 were the fruits of that labor.

Reaction Score

Maybe good. But probably not great. Sidearm QBs will almost always be erratic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom