Donovan Clingan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
Wild take. Sanogo has incredible touch around the rim. It's even more incredible given how little experience he has.
It is incredible that he never touched a basketball until he was 14. I’m only saying that Clingan has a little better touch around the basket, it doesn’t mean that Sanogo can’t score 20 points a game. His speed and his 250lbs under the basket had a lot to do with his scoring. His outside shot isn’t so bad either.

Reaction Score
It is incredible that he never touched a basketball until he was 14. I’m only saying that Clingan has a little better touch around the basket, it doesn’t mean that Sanogo can’t score 20 points a game. His speed and his 250lbs under the basket had a lot to do with his scoring. His outside shot isn’t so bad either.

I don’t think there is any evidence to support the idea that Clingan has better touch around the hoop. I think that what evidence exists demonstrates the opposite.

Reaction Score
All I said was I thought Clingan had better touch around the basket than Sanogo, and I stand by that observation. That doesn’t mean Sanogo isn’t a great post player. You’re the one taking things personally, not me. Relax ok.
If only there were stats where we could quantify how wrong you are. Oh wait, there are!

Sanogo is shooting 29-37 at the rim, that's 78.4%. Clingan is 19-24, that's 79.2%. They're both having very good seasons so far shooting around the basket. If you think that 0.8% difference gives you reason to die on this hill so be it, but that is what you call statistically insignificant

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Can’t decide if this or “Azzi could play D1 men’s basketball” is take of the week. We’ve got two real strong contenders.
Azzi take still wins imo, but I’d love to see a poll.

Reaction Score
If only there were stats where we could quantify how wrong you are. Oh wait, there are!

Sanogo is shooting 29-37 at the rim, that's 78.4%. Clingan is 19-24, that's 79.2%. They're both having very good seasons so far shooting around the basket. If you think that 0.8% difference gives you reason to die on this hill so be it, but that is what you call statistically insignificant
Lol. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Reaction Score
I don’t think there is any evidence to support the idea that Clingan has better touch around the hoop. I think that what evidence exists demonstrates the opposite.
Well it is subjective, but ok Helen Keller, what ever you say.

Reaction Score

Clingan is 9-9 on dunks and Sanogo is 10-12.

So non-dunks around the rim Clingan 10-15 (67%) Sanogo 19-25 (76%)

Reaction Score
The problem with most sports fans, myself included, is we have selective memories. That guy is definitely remembering the Sanogo that ended last year, not the guy who abused teams for the first 2/3 of the season. The goal for him this year is to not get worn down by that last 1/3 of the season.
Sanogo is never going to have super explosive hops but you’re right. At the end of last season he was worn down and also appeared to be playing injured.

Reaction Score
I think you can drop the idea of Sanogo and Clingan being on the floor at the same time. Hurley has multiple options with the four-out setup.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think you can drop the idea of Sanogo and Clingan being on the floor at the same time. Hurley has multiple options with the four-out setup.
I think we might see it against Oregon. Depends how well Jackson/Karaban hold up in the post.

Reaction Score
Arizona didn't mind playing multiple bigs and look how they played vs Creighton.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Clingan's claimed standing reach is 9'6". The rim is 10'.

My reach isn't even Clingan's height :D He has to jump 4" I have to jump almost 40".

Dude better dunk (and he does)!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Where's the receipts of guys who said he was a "project" and "wouldn't be a day 1 contributer?"

The kid is way more than just a large human being that plays ball. He's a stud.

Clingan was setting great screens, has a great feel for the game for a big, and can kick it out to shooters effectively(something Sanogo has struggled with). Also, if our guards penetrate, and their bigs cheat off Clingan a tiny bit, say goodnight, because anything that gets thrown near the rim is an easy bucket for him.

He adds a whole new dimension to this team, and he's only going to get better with more minutes.

Reaction Score
Those 8 pts for Clingan don't tell the story of how valuable he was tonight on both sides of the ball. Great game by the young man against a team with size. Liked how he and Sanogo were both on the floor creating a lot of open looksfor the guards who hit their shots.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
Where's the receipts of guys who said he was a "project" and "wouldn't be a day 1 contributer?"

The kid is way more than just a large human being that plays ball. He's a stud.

Clingan was setting great screens, has a great feel for the game for a big, and can kick it out to shooters effectively(something Sanogo has struggled with). Also, if our guards penetrate, and their bigs cheat off Clingan a tiny bit, say goodnight, because anything that gets thrown near the rim is an easy bucket for him.

He adds a whole new dimension to this team, and he's only going to get better with more minutes.
I don't know if I wrote/said it but def thought it. He was carrying much more weight in high school and looked like he would be slow when he got to UConn. Didn't think he would adjust this quickly. Very happy he did. Playing against Sanogo every day in practice probably helped him realize the speed and work needed.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I wrote/said it but def thought it. He was carrying much more weight in high school and looked like he would be slow when he got to UConn. Didn't think he would adjust this quickly. Very happy he did. Playing against Sanogo every day in practice probably helped him realize the speed and work needed.

He lost 30lbs this summer, maybe 35 by now. Should be down to around 250-255. He must have been religious with his diet to cut that much on 4 months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom