Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
Now that big Don has trimmed down he can focus on building muscle, improving his fluidity and footwork. At his size he’s basically unguardable so improving his movement is key.

Skill wise I have full faith in the program to see Donovan improve year over year just like Adama. Man’s going to unstoppable by junior year for us if he makes it that far.

Reaction Score
Good point! Who is tougher than Sanogo?
I think he’s better around the rim than Sanogo already, I’ve yet to see him miss a chippy. Can’t say the same for Sanogo. That being said he needs to work on his defense and his passing.

Reaction Score
I think he’s better around the rim than Sanogo already, I’ve yet to see him miss a chippy. Can’t say the same for Sanogo. That being said he needs to work on his defense and his passing.

This is, quite frankly, a pretty horrendous take. Donovan has missed a bunch of chippy's already. If he isn't dunking, once of his biggest weaknesses is touch around the rim. That was pretty consistent reporting while he was in HS too.

Adama's touch is fantastic. He just takes about 3 shots a game he shouldn't.

Reaction Score
This is, quite frankly, a pretty horrendous take. Donovan has missed a bunch of chippy's already. If he isn't dunking, once of his biggest weaknesses is touch around the rim. That was pretty consistent reporting while he was in HS too.

First few college games he’s not a finished product. You wanna talk ”touch around the rim”? How many years did we have players at the 5 position who had zero touch around the rim? Most. We prayed that these players would get to the point by year 3 when they would be serviceable. He’s there already! But you’re right, at 7’2” he has some things to improve on.

Reaction Score
First few college games he’s not a finished product. You wanna talk ”touch around the rim”? How many years did we have players at the 5 position who had zero touch around the rim? Most. We prayed that these players would get to the point by year 3 when they would be serviceable. He’s there already! But you’re right, at 7’2” he has some things to improve on.

I'm trying to forget the talent we had at the 5 before Sanogo, thank you very much. Loved those players, but they weren't UConn caliber.

IMO developing more touch on his hook shot, adjusting to toughness and speed in D1, and defensive IQ are going to be the big points of improvement for Donovan this season. I expect a very, very different player by March. He's a sponge.

Reaction Score

Your post is about as correct as Captain Smith was when he said “full steam ahead”.

Reaction Score

Adama's touch is fantastic. He just takes about 3 shots a game he shouldn't
You mean when he’s right in front of the basket and he puts it up shot put style, back rims it, and it comes right back to him? That kind of touch?

Reaction Score
You mean when he’s right in front of the basket and he puts it up shot put style, back rims it, and it comes right back to him? That kind of touch?

I'm thinking the pre-season Big East POY who has built his career operating in the post probably shouldn't have his touch criticized. Just some food for though.

You seem to be taking this rather personally. It's a weird look.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the pre-season Big East POY who has built his career operating in the post probably shouldn't have his touch criticized. Just some food for though.

Donovan plays against the BE Preseason POY everyday in practice. Yes practice, but still hours of time against a player who is very good and appears to be getting better. Speaks volumes of both players.

Reaction Score
I think Donovan is as excited to be playing against some talented Bigs at PKI as we are to see him play them... With AS/SJ bangin' on him in practice for the last few months and showing he belongs in the previous 5 games.. Think he's ready to show his stuff.. He's smart/competitive/a hard worker.. Not too many teams in the country with our depth at the 5

Reaction Score
A little worried about his defense. But hopefully these games have been good experiences for him.
He’s already blocked or altered shots that the opponent never saw coming. He’s really trying to stay on his guy, but I wish Danny would let him hang around the basket a little more. The other team just doesn’t take shots when he’s close.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
And we complain he doesn't dunk enough!! The guy certainly wasn't hitting 3s the last 2 years to hit 16ppg.
The problem with most sports fans, myself included, is we have selective memories. That guy is definitely remembering the Sanogo that ended last year, not the guy who abused teams for the first 2/3 of the season. The goal for him this year is to not get worn down by that last 1/3 of the season.

Reaction Score
We move up in competition starting Thursday.. It looks to me like AS is much more decisive in his moves.. Has a great deal more confidence in his left hand.. And has expanded his jump shot variety in and around the paint. If he occasionally shares the ball with his shooters when his shot is not immediately there.. He'll own the paint.. His footwork-- with his weight loss since last season-- is much quicker.

Looking forward to him doin' his thing at PKI

Reaction Score

All I said was I thought Clingan had better touch around the basket than Sanogo, and I stand by that observation. That doesn’t mean Sanogo isn’t a great post player. You’re the one taking things personally, not me. Relax ok.

Reaction Score
Of all the hills to die on, you choose Adama Sanogo has no touch. Can you explain how he scores his 15-20 points per game?
He never misses with the kiss off the glass, gets his big body under the basket, and scores. He’s tough to stop when doing that. That how he scores, he controls the paint. However he back rims it a lot when not using the glass. When he can’t use the glass, what he should do is just go up and jam it with one hand, but in his years at UConn I’ve never seen him do that. BTW, saying Clingan has BETTER touch is not saying Sanago has no touch. Now go die on your own hill. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Adama's touch is awesome. I wish he dunked it more and used the glass sometimes but he has feathery touch.
I wish he dunked it too, but instead he try’s to throw it up one handed with that “feathery touch”, and many will back rim it. Why couldn’t he just go straight up and jam it with one hand?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom