Donovan Clingan | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
Who do we have coming in that can battle with DC in practice after AS leaves?

Johnson and Singare next year. Donovan is probably going to command 30mpg. Singare is super raw, so I would think the backup minutes will need to be Johnson.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I only wish DH was willing to swap Sanogo out for Clingan faster as needed - a couple people were claiming Clingan is better but I'd argue it isn't about better but what skills they bring. Sanogo is a beast but when he was getting shutdown Clingan was the answer. They play so differently I think it helps disrupt the other team.

Reaction Score
Clingan’s per 40 numbers :eek:

I just went to look up his per 40 minutes. Outstanding.

I love those shot quality numbers. They completely support the “eye test”, which tells me that our large freshman center opens up so many opportunities for others, while taking quite a few high-quality shots of his own.

Reaction Score
Statistically not his best game but still made an impact on both ends.

He's obviously got a great basketball IQ but he also really knows how to use his size (hey now!). He doesn't bring the ball down, he doesn't leave his feet in the post when he doesn't need to, and he just generally really seems to understand how to leverage the fact that he's a damn giant.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's obviously got a great basketball IQ but he also really knows how to use his size (hey now!). He doesn't bring the ball down, he doesn't leave his feet in the post when he doesn't need to, and he just generally really seems to understand how to leverage the fact that he's a damn giant.

Yep. The staying on his feet thing is absolutely true. He won't get drawn into fouling through a shot fake. And he uses his size advantage without having to be overly physical. The charge was a joke.

He brought the ball down a couple times against UNCW. Better since. I bet they've been working on it practice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep. The staying on his feet thing is absolutely true. He won't get drawn into fouling through a shot fake. And he uses his size advantage without having to be overly physical. The charge was a joke.

He brought the ball down a couple times against UNCW. Better since. I bet they've been working on it practice.

A big who is comfortable about being big and isn't worried about being all things to all people.
He knows what he needs to do to impact the game. I've been mega impressed how he has avoided fouls setting screens. He knows how to set his body and not lean in to defender. He doesn't waste his fouls cheaply.

Reaction Score
I have yet to see Clingan not dominate whoever he's guarding. He's been the best big on the floor in every minute he's played.

Edit: other things I haven't seen either. I have yet to see him foul someone while setting a screen.... and he sets crippling screens. I have yet to see him look uncomfortable handling the ball. I'm shocked how good he is.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yes, anyone who has been to a game in-person this year and witnessed Donovan shooting 3s in warmups would have no issue with him taking a 3 during a game. He has a really nice looking shot and hits 50%+ of them in the sample size of about 50 shots that I’ve seen.

It definitely will be a real part of his game as he progresses (not just a garbage-time thing)
Donovan in warm ups might be the most impressive thing you’ll see in person.

Reaction Score
When he screens for the guards they have a clean shot every time.
His roll is impressive and so is the dunk at the end of it.
Teammates see him on the alleyoup regularly.
Must be some way to get him and AS on the floor together.

caw

Reaction Score
Donovan in warm ups might be the most impressive thing you’ll see in person.

I don’t think this will live up to the hype but only because I’ve seen Curry warm-up and Ichiro in BP.

Reaction Score
Follow-up to my tweet, here's the list of guys with 60+ points, 45+ rebounds and 18+ blocks in first 7 games between 1994 and 2022 (original tweet was just between 2010 and 2022):
1669515737315.png

Reaction Score
Follow-up to my tweet, here's the list of guys with 60+ points, 45+ rebounds and 18+ blocks in first 7 games between 1994 and 2022 (original tweet was just between 2010 and 2022):
View attachment 81153
The minutes are striking. I don't think he's got the stamina for double the minutes quite yet, but his per/40 numbers have gotta be similar to POY Emeka Okafor

Reaction Score
Stats don't capture that it was Donovan's screen that freed up Joey's 3 pointer in the second half, and Sean Farnham diagramed that pick and repick with Newton/Clingan which resulted in a basket. I can't say my eye is trained well enough to be catching these actions when so much is happening in live play. I bet he has a bunch of these value added Jake Voskuhl plays that go mostly unnoticed. He also has picked a bunch of balls off the floor without crashing to the floor. That is a long way down for a big guy to have quick enough good hands to compete with smaller guys. With Zach Edey leading Purdue, keep in mind Sanogo has faced him and Adama had a big game at Hoophall. They both have matured their games, but it is not unknown territory.

I love this team, their potential, their style of play, and apparent commitment to each other. An example was Samson Johnson stuck on the bench was into the game and all smiles for his teammates. Now that the team has shown us they have what it takes, I really need to focus on savoring every minute of this season.

Reaction Score
The score was tied at 10-10 when DC came in. We went on an 18-3 run after that which lasted the whole time he was in.
I mentioned this in another spot. Respectfully, the team seems to run well with DC on the floor while Sanogo is on the bench. A good problem to have.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Johnson and Singare next year. Donovan is probably going to command 30mpg. Singare is super raw, so I would think the backup minutes will need to be Johnson.
i predict Singare will suprise most with how fast his game has improved. also take into consideration the leap Clingan made to be ready for this season. i believe in Hurley’s ability to get these freshman ready but i agree that Samson is probably the main backup for Clingan next season.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
i predict Singare will suprise most with how fast his game has improved. also take into consideration the leap Clingan made to be ready for this season. i believe in Hurley’s ability to get these freshman ready but i agree that Samson is probably the main backup for Clingan next season.
Quick interview

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom