Donovan Clingan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Reaction Score
It’s been a while but I remember TK being unranked and kind of a “find” for Calhoun. He worked out but was nowhere near the expectations we have for DC.
I was just taking a cheap shot at your spelling (fare/fair). Don't mind me :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree. Clingan is much more ready than freshman Travis. It’s not fare to either of them to use TK as a comp.
I don't know if we really know that based on one game against a glorified D2 team. I agree he has skills, his passing is really strong, as advertised, but I'd like to see him face an actual D1 center. TK averaged 11.5 minutes on a very, very good team. Raw? Sure. But I think we will see Clingan be raw against real competition.
It’s been a while but I remember TK being unranked and kind of a “find” for Calhoun. He worked out but was nowhere near the expectations we have for DC.
Nah. Unless you think UCLA offer means he was a "find". Bob Gibbons ranked him #38 in the country.
UCONN Hoop Legends: TRAVIS KNIGHT

Reaction Score
Nah. Unless you think UCLA offer means he was a "find". Bob Gibbons ranked him #38 in the country.
Yeah I was going to say that I remember Knight being ranked in the 40-50 range. He definitely was not a "find".

Reaction Score
Not a hill I want to die on for sure. I also can’t find his ranking.

Reaction Score
Anytime you are on a list with Akok Akok...?

There is obvious potential, but let's not set expectations too high for the kid. It took Sanogo nearly a year and a half to figure it out and our team ambitions weren't as high as they are this season.

About all I took from this game is that guys need to settle into roles before the PK85.
He makes Sanogo look like a midget!

Reaction Score
I don't know if we really know that based on one game against a glorified D2 team. I agree he has skills, his passing is really strong, as advertised, but I'd like to see him face an actual D1 center. TK averaged 11.5 minutes on a very, very good team. Raw? Sure. But I think we will see Clingan be raw against real competition.

UCONN Hoop Legends: TRAVIS KNIGHT

Agreed. No need to elevate expectations to unreasonable levels. The vast majority of bigs take time to develop... Sanogo was an anomaly. Clingan has played a top 100 center 2x in his entire career.

Give him 10 mins a game giving Sanogo a breather. Focus on defense and limiting turnovers this season, with opportunistic scoring. He's going to take time but he'll be a beast before long.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. No need to elevate expectations to unreasonable levels. The vast majority of bigs take time to develop... Sanogo was an anomaly. Clingan has played a top 100 center 2x in his entire career.

Give him 10 mins a game giving Sanogo a breather. Focus on defense and limiting turnovers this season, with opportunistic scoring. He's going to take time but he'll be a beast before long.
Which is not to say that I'd be displeased if he is suddenly Bill Walton. I just think got a bit ahead of ourselves evaluating a nice performance against a bad, short team that doesn't even have a center.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah I was going to say that I remember Knight being ranked in the 40-50 range. He definitely was not a "find".
I'm glad I didn't bet. I forgot he was ranked that high. I was more impressed with an LDS kid leaving Utah.

Reaction Score
I'm glad I didn't bet. I forgot he was ranked that high. I was more impressed with an LDS kid leaving Utah.
Ah, maybe I need to walk my post back. But #100 is still not a "find".

"Knight is really a finesse player," Gibbons said. "He tends to have an aversion to banging inside. He's going to have to get stronger and do some work inside, if he's going to be a solid player in the Big East."

Because of this, Knight dropped from the 38th-ranked high school senior in Gibbons' preseason report to 100th in his season-ending report.

I had to laugh at this though.

Gibbons said a boost to UConn's ranking was point guard Covington Cormier from Clarendon (Texas) College. Cormier, Gibbons' top-ranked junior college point guard and 17th-ranked JC player overall, averaged 21.2 points and 5.9 assists last season.

"He's ideal for what UConn needs after Chris Smith," Gibbons said. "Chris tended to dominate the ball, and at times the other guys watched Chris. Cormier loves to give the ball up. He can average nine points and seven assists in the Big East."

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I agree. Clingan is much more ready than freshman Travis. It’s not fare to either of them to use TK as a comp.
Travis was 5 fouls and a foul line jumper for his first two seasons. He was a stick. DC is a thick dude with a solid interior game. He’s at least a year ahead of Travis on the interior, by the end of the year maybe two.

Reaction Score
Man, it would have been sweet if he connected on one of those lobs. We’ll see plenty of those go down over the next couple of years, though. He just changes the game when he’s on the floor.

Reaction Score
Surprising Clingan was only a 4 star. Over 7', mobile, cooordinated with nice hands and skills.... arguably athletic. Isn't that normally a top 10 caliber recruit?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Surprising Clingan was only a 4 star. Over 7', mobile, cooordinated with nice hands and skills.... arguably athletic. Isn't that normally a top 10 caliber recruit?
Yes, but I’m guessing there was questions about his production being inflated against scrubs. The weight loss is also more recent.

Reaction Score
He’s a freshman but he’s looking good so far. Couple quick throw up shots, needed more time but other than that he’s great. Hurley must be thrilled.

Reaction Score
Needs to dunk everything.
He’s trying to, and doing okay so far.
5625EC1F-C25E-43A6-A444-5B2E56221538.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think the weight loss is a big factor as @Huskyforlife said. But also I don't think he'd be a top 10 recruit regardless since a lot of recruiting sites also end up factoring in NBA potential as well

Reaction Score
I think the weight loss is a big factor as @Huskyforlife said. But also I don't think he'd be a top 10 recruit regardless since a lot of recruiting sites also end up factoring in NBA potential as well
Yes on the weight loss and I don't know about top 10 but he seems like he'll have pretty serious NBA potential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom