Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hasler was a great shooter. Played at Marist for a bit. Always thought he would have been a good fit at UConn.

Oh yeah he was radar from deep, good athlete too had hops. Nice player.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep referencing that DC needs to be prepping. Tell me what you know that ALL the major colleges coaches are missing on DC? Please!
Why keep prodding? @HuskyWarrior611 stated his thoughts and opinion on it, why can't you accept that for what it is and move on to something else? It's all going to play out, so let it.

Reaction Score
Here is an awesome article with some new quotes. The kid just loves UConn.

I live in Dallas and just can't subscribe to every local CT paper. Any chance that someone could excerpt or provide a quick overview of his quotes?

Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan committed to play basketball at UConn mere hours after his official visit to the school ended on Friday. In truth, the Bristol Central High rising senior had essentially decided to become a Husky long before.
His coach with the Rams, Tim Barrette, said many of the big-time schools who were recruiting the 7-foot-1 center gave him the same words of advice.
“All the coaches he met from (Michigan’s) Juwan Howard to (UConn’s Dan) Hurley told him you’ll know it’s right when you walk in the gym,” Barrette said Saturday morning. “And he told me ‘I knew it was the right place when I first walked in there two years ago.’ ”

Reaction Score
Kris Dunn and Mustapha Heron have to be there. Matt Curtis? Dare I say, RJ Evans, who I think might have been a 2,000 point scorer at NFA.
I know we had to be creative carving out space for Andre Drummond, but I still believe today if we allocated space for Dunn the following year, Drummond would have stayed another year. And that would have possibly meant Calhoun would have coached another year.

Reaction Score
Clingan also visited Michigan, Syracuse, and Ohio State recently, but felt Storrs was still the place for him.
“I just felt like every time I went there, I was happy,” Clingan said Sunday. “And my relationship with the coaches was better than anywhere else.”
Clingan, ranked No. 44 in the Class of 2022 by rivals.com, averaged 27.3 points, 17.2 rebounds, and 5.8 blocks during his junior season at Bristol Central.
He felt his best college basketball option was the one closest to his hometown.
“He’s a proud kid and he’s proud of where he’s from,” Barrette said.
“He told me ‘I want to go to UConn. Why do I have to wait?’ ” Barrette added. “Kentucky came in the picture last week, North Carolina, but he was set on going to UConn.”
So much so that Clingan couldn’t wait long after leaving Storrs Friday to make his decision known to the larger college basketball world. Clingan told Hurley he was UConn-bound Friday evening, doing so at a cookout at the coach’s house.
Clingan is the second member of UConn’s Class of 2022, joining 6-foot-4, Roselle, New Jersey, guard Corey Floyd.
Behind Clingan, Bristol Central went 15-0 in the CIAC’s abbreviated 2020-21 season, which did not include a state tournament.

The Rams did win the Central Connecticut Conference tournament, beating heavyweights Windsor, Northwest Catholic, and East Catholic to claim the title.
“He didn’t just play well, he dominated,” Barrette said of the CCC Tournament. “That solidified what we already knew about him.”
Having made his college decision before his senior year gets underway, Clingan says he’s focused on bringing a state championship home to Bristol Central. And soon after, bring a fifth national championship home to Storrs.
“That’s the goal,” Clingan said.
Clingan is the Huskies’ biggest in-state recruit -- in more ways than one -- since Middletown’s Andre Drummond came on board just weeks prior to the 2011-12 season.
In addition to the familiarity and the proximity to home, Clingan said one of the reasons he chose UConn was because Hurley and his staff made it clear how important he was to their plans.
“I don’t want to sound cocky or anything but they told me I was their biggest target in my class. And they said if I came there, other players would follow,” Clingan said. “They also said they weren’t recruiting another big, that I was their top priority.”
With Floyd and Clingan having given their verbal pledges, UConn’s recruiting class is already an impressive one. And Clingan expects Hurley to keep adding key pieces.
“He’s bringing in a lot of good players around me. There’s a bright future,” Clingan said.
The prospects for both Clingan and the Huskies look promising, but after putting his big decision behind him, Clingan is taking a brief respite.
“I’m in Cape Cod for the week, relaxing,” Clingan said. “Then it’s back to work.”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Comprehension taken, LOL. This is the post that you responded to regarding selective. You left out the rest, still you have not answered why you think DC needs to prep and what you see that the MAJOR college coaches don't.
Idk ask his dad the same question though. Again try reading everything properly.

In the article I just read Bill talks about how he was considering having Donovan go prep or play for a different AAU team to help him grow as a player. I'm not talking about his decision to go to UConn.

Bill Clingan, Donovan's father, receives calls from prep schools, academies and AAU programs all over New England and elsewhere, trying to persuade him to move his son from Bristol Central and the Boston Spartans AAU program so Donovan can play for their teams. A newly widowed father of two teenage children and a field engineering designer for local energy company Eversource, Bill is navigating this world largely on his own and trying to do what's best for Donovan and the family.

"I'm conflicted because I don't want to force him to do something he doesn't want to do," Bill said. "But at the same time, I want to see him grow more, and I want what's going to help him succeed in the future. So it's a battle that we have. He plays on a great AAU team now, and he's getting the right type of experience. It's just hard to know what's best."

Reaction Score
I'm just being honest here. I hope Danny can coach him up and put him through serious strength & conditioning, but he's 7'1 playing in LL. Yeah he's going to be POY. There's no other center above 6'8 at the most. Jordan Williams who went to University of Maryland back in 2010 or so has a much better post game and better film playing in the same league bringing Torrington to the state finals. I repeat TORRINGTON. If you are a D1 prospect that's a certain height playing in LL there's almost no excuse to not go to state's tbh.

But I don't know. Andre was also terrible when he was at Capital Prep his early years when he was highly ranked. But he went through a MAJOR body transformation before actually arriving to campus. I would love to see Donovan go prep to actually play against the proper competition and receive proper training because making the jump to D1 is going to be a huge shock otherwise.
Try to remembering what you post. Still no insight on why you think this (prep) other than proper competition, training? The kid has roughly a year for conditioning (that the UConn staff has already pointed out.) Competition I agree not the best (high school) but with the time from now until he gets on campus, where he will go against some of the best in the country on his own squad before college BB starts, he should fair well. And still I ask, what you see that the MAJOR college coaches don't. Done brah!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I knew months ago when i read an article on him where he talked about his school, family and his mother that he was coming here. Its like the subtext of the whole article seemed to be "everything i love is here. The friends, family and most importantly my mom". I knew it then. Turns out his mind was already made up at that time. Im super hyped. Im happy for him, for coach Hurley and this program. It appears well on its way back to title contention. Its been too long. Wow we are spoiled. Our last title was just 7 years ago lol!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Let me lighten the mood a bit. We all UConn fans here. (still would love to see that film though)
View attachment 68373

this isn’t true at all. You are just poorly thought out and want to go against the group. I questioned whether DC was high major a long time ago. And said if his game doesn’t evolve he won’t be that good. I got for it he’s at UConn now so here’s to hoping he improves. But your take isn’t even a new idea at all. Smh.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
a stead
genuine question…any thoughts on what our offensive identity will be in the next few years? seems like we have a mix of slow it down (sanogo, clingan) and speed it up (ajax, akok).

talent tends to solve all problems, but not clear what we are going for.
a steady diet of pick your poison

Reaction Score

This was a plus plus game for recruiting.
Full house.
Beating a talented league and national opponent in a close game.
Plenty of former Husky greats on hand and next to recruits.
Game allowed Hurley to show off his, let’s say, involvement.

The Akok injury silenced the building. I sit in 115 behind the bench. I focused on Donovan Clingan who was totally focused on all the goings on and saw how much this team honestly loves each other. The deep hugs given young Akok by teammates, team officials and heart-breakingly coach DH were enough IMO to sway any recruit who is seriously considering becoming a Husky.

Above is the 2nd re-post of my original Clingan experience so apologies but this seems like a good time to bring it out again.

To the cowardly name-callers out there, sack-up and be an adult. Act here like you'd act in person and treat fellow lovers of UConn hoops with respect. Tasteless juice.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
this isn’t true at all. You are just poorly thought out and want to go against the group. I questioned whether DC was high major a long time ago. And said if his game doesn’t evolve he won’t be that good. I got for it he’s at UConn now so here’s to hoping he improves. But your take isn’t even a new idea at all. Smh.
The meme was just a joke man. Speaking of which, @Fishy did you really fix my message to like ratio??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Clingan also visited Michigan, Syracuse, and Ohio State recently, but felt Storrs was still the place for him.
“I just felt like every time I went there, I was happy,” Clingan said Sunday. “And my relationship with the coaches was better than anywhere else.”
Clingan, ranked No. 44 in the Class of 2022 by rivals.com, averaged 27.3 points, 17.2 rebounds, and 5.8 blocks during his junior season at Bristol Central.
He felt his best college basketball option was the one closest to his hometown.
“He’s a proud kid and he’s proud of where he’s from,” Barrette said.
“He told me ‘I want to go to UConn. Why do I have to wait?’ ” Barrette added. “Kentucky came in the picture last week, North Carolina, but he was set on going to UConn.”
So much so that Clingan couldn’t wait long after leaving Storrs Friday to make his decision known to the larger college basketball world. Clingan told Hurley he was UConn-bound Friday evening, doing so at a cookout at the coach’s house.
Clingan is the second member of UConn’s Class of 2022, joining 6-foot-4, Roselle, New Jersey, guard Corey Floyd.
Behind Clingan, Bristol Central went 15-0 in the CIAC’s abbreviated 2020-21 season, which did not include a state tournament.

The Rams did win the Central Connecticut Conference tournament, beating heavyweights Windsor, Northwest Catholic, and East Catholic to claim the title.
“He didn’t just play well, he dominated,” Barrette said of the CCC Tournament. “That solidified what we already knew about him.”
Having made his college decision before his senior year gets underway, Clingan says he’s focused on bringing a state championship home to Bristol Central. And soon after, bring a fifth national championship home to Storrs.
“That’s the goal,” Clingan said.
Clingan is the Huskies’ biggest in-state recruit -- in more ways than one -- since Middletown’s Andre Drummond came on board just weeks prior to the 2011-12 season.
In addition to the familiarity and the proximity to home, Clingan said one of the reasons he chose UConn was because Hurley and his staff made it clear how important he was to their plans.
“I don’t want to sound cocky or anything but they told me I was their biggest target in my class. And they said if I came there, other players would follow,” Clingan said. “They also said they weren’t recruiting another big, that I was their top priority.”
With Floyd and Clingan having given their verbal pledges, UConn’s recruiting class is already an impressive one. And Clingan expects Hurley to keep adding key pieces.
“He’s bringing in a lot of good players around me. There’s a bright future,” Clingan said.
The prospects for both Clingan and the Huskies look promising, but after putting his big decision behind him, Clingan is taking a brief respite.
“I’m in Cape Cod for the week, relaxing,” Clingan said. “Then it’s back to work.”
The Cape on 4th of July? Nice. Just hope he's not looking for some good pizza. It's a veritable pizza desert on the Cape.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is the reason you fit into the shameful "more messages than likes" classification. If you see that is the case, understand that you are posting too much nonsense that others don't find valuable(funny, smart).

Maybe stop tweeting posting thru it and, before you post next time, think : "will other people care about this or is it nonsense" before you hit that reply, at least until you get back up to a 1:1 post:like ratio.
Hey, check me out. Who has the better ratio now?? Suck it!

Reaction Score
The Cape on 4th of July? Nice. Just hope he's not looking for some good pizza. It's a veritable pizza desert on the Cape.

Joey's PIzzeria is right down the street from our cottage in Dennis Port, I think it's pretty damn good - but your point still stands for the rest of the Cape.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know we had to be creative carving out space for Andre Drummond, but I still believe today if we allocated space for Dunn the following year, Drummond would have stayed another year. And that would have possibly meant Calhoun would have coached another year.
So AD and JC were going to come back for a no post-season probation year?

Reaction Score
So AD and JC were going to come back for a no post-season probation year?
Whether or not it should have in retrospect, the timing of Dre leaving surprised Calhoun. At the end of one disappointing season a coach is looking at the season ahead. Some guys left and others stayed and I don’t remember if appeals had been exhausted. I believe Jim even said so publicly that if Dre stayed, he might have made a different decision.
Just going from memory, even with Dre leaving, Jim waited a long time to make a final decision. How much of that was him, the school or trying to do it late enough that other options would be depleted clearing the runway for his choice KO, is unclear to me.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He’s a junior in high school who doesn’t have the proper coaching and weight training and the posters and trolls are ripping him a part. He already has something you can’t teach, size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom