2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan (BCHS) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan (BCHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a lot of top kids that don't go prep or private. I don't think 429 is disputing that. In CT the competition level is quite low and the proximity to the NEPSAC makes prepping a great option. He is also not saying you need to go prep or private. A stud is going to be fine either way. I think Anthony Davis played on a terrible HS team and it didn't matter. Going prep is more of a difference maker for marginal kids.

Reaction Score
Coaches already know about him. With those #s as a frosh in a decent league. He’ll get plenty of offers. Are the prep schools better basketball? Absolutely. But they’re not for everyone. Maybe he’s got a great support system at BCHS. Maybe that’s what the kid needs most. ... on a side note, one of his classmates already verballed to UConn for baseball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
AAU programs and prep schools are convenient for coaches and recruitment agencies to observe talent. The basic premise is that more of the better players are observable in fewer venues.

Given limitations of time and resources coaches from the better programs are going to focus their attention with them because in theory AAU and preps have already done the selection process for the coaches.

No one claims that both venues get all the best players or players with the best potential. Some kids for one reason or another get overlooked or are not interested in going to these venues. Was it Ben Gordon who was marked down because of this? Still others are late bloomers.

If a kid has talent and is serious about bb it’s a wiser choice to get as much exposure as possible by attending prep school and getting into a good AAU program.

And most coaches except for the coaches of the most notable programs should have contacts overseas and at various high schools that still get talent.

Reaction Score
Who are you agreeing with? Ja had NO exposure so he had to go to Murray St.... idk the argument being made here. He was under recruited
NO Exposure??? He played on the same AAU Team as Zion Williamson. I'd say that he had a little exposure. Definitely under recruited. I agree with the position that you don't have to go to Prep School to have the best opportunity.

Reaction Score
Debating the merits of the system at each level is overdone. I don't feel bad about starting it, but jeez let's move on. I expect Donovan has someone who will help him make the best decisions for his future in due time, whatever they are.

But we should be excited about talented local prospects in CT--doesn't happen often. Between Etienne, and Clingan we have a lot to look forward to at the C position. Hopefully, one is seriously interested in UConn

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The young man has to do what works for him. He needs the support network he needs. If the prep schools don't provide that and the public school does, then that's OK. He's a big, strong, talented kid with a supportive network around him... he's going to be fine.

Reaction Score
He is 100% not make a high-major D1 if he doesn't leave Bristol Central. It will be a complete and utter shame if he doesn't.

Honestly, if you know the family well enough, you should he in their ear about a prep. I usually mention to parents that the education is way better. Forget about the basketball. If you get an opportunity to get a diploma for free from a private school, you take it. That's a what, 50k education per year at some places?

ANY decent high school coach is telling this kid to get into a better school. If his coach isn't he's a selfish twerp. I have encouraged kids to move on from my AAU team, to focus on other sports, or go to another high school when it is in their best interest. If you care about the kids, you do what's best for them first and the team second every time.
I applaud you for this. It is very rare. In some cases, I think the coach is too stupid to know what is in the kid's best interest. Rarely do kids in high school get good advice. My son was a phenomenal student. He likes basketball and I blame myself for that. He also liked being a part of the running program. He had significant mechanical issues with his shot. I eventually realized what was wrong but his coach didn't. My kid listened to his coach and it never got fixed. Those issues hurt his production and PT. At the same time, he was doing really well at running. Any decent coach would have told him to focus on running. But not this guy. And we all made one big mistake. Given that my kid liked but was not intending on playing either sport after high school, we should have all told him to drop sports entirely and focus on what could get him into an ivy. If you aren't a recruited athlete at these schools, your time spent on sports is entirely wasted. These schools don't give a crap about teamwork, leadership or fitness anymore.

Reaction Score
I applaud you for this. It is very rare. In some cases, I think the coach is too stupid to know what is in the kid's best interest. Rarely do kids in high school get good advice. My son was a phenomenal student. He likes basketball and I blame myself for that. He also liked being a part of the running program. He had significant mechanical issues with his shot. I eventually realized what was wrong but his coach didn't. My kid listened to his coach and it never got fixed. Those issues hurt his production and PT. At the same time, he was doing really well at running. Any decent coach would have told him to focus on running. But not this guy. And we all made one big mistake. Given that my kid liked but was not intending on playing either sport after high school, we should have all told him to drop sports entirely and focus on what could get him into an ivy. If you aren't a recruited athlete at these schools, your time spent on sports is entirely wasted. These schools don't give a crap about teamwork, leadership or fitness anymore.

Wait, are you saying that a student who is not going to be playing college sports should drop high school sports to focus on getting into an Ivy League school? I don’t know the specifics of your son, but I don’t think it’s quite that easy. It’s also possible that a non-Division 1 athlete can play high school sports for fun while succeeding in school at the same time.

Reaction Score
Wait, are you saying that a student who is not going to be playing college sports should drop high school sports to focus on getting into an Ivy League school? I don’t know the specifics of your son, but I don’t think it’s quite that easy. It’s also possible that a non-Division 1 athlete can play high school sports for fun while succeeding in school at the same time.
In some cases, yes. First, the kid needs to be truly exceptional which is to say that they would be an above average student (not applicant) there. Second, the kid needs to care more about getting into an ivy level school more than playing ball for fun. High School sports is a big time commitment and especially if the kid is a 3 season athlete. If they really want to get into an ivy, and they don't have another hook, they need to think seriously about doing something those schools are actually looking for with that time. "Played three sports" no longer has any value even if you were a key member or team captain. Hooks include being a RECRUITED athlete, being nationally ranked at something, being supported by a large donor, being a member of a protected intersectional class or being a noteworthy victim. Unless you have gone through this process lately, you have no idea how nutty it has become. Long gone are the days when well rounded geniuses were in. If you don't have a hook, you had better do some phenomenal research, raise a ton of money for a preferred cause or volunteer with an organization that supports preferred victim classes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
In some cases, yes. First, the kid needs to be truly exceptional which is to say that they would be an above average student (not applicant) there. Second, the kid needs to care more about getting into an ivy level school more than playing ball for fun. High School sports is a big time commitment and especially if the kid is a 3 season athlete. If they really want to get into an ivy, and they don't have another hook, they need to think seriously about doing something those schools are actually looking for with that time. "Played three sports" no longer has any value even if you were a key member or team captain. Hooks include being a RECRUITED athlete, being nationally ranked at something, being supported by a large donor, being a member of a protected intersectional class or being a noteworthy victim. Unless you have gone through this process lately, you have no idea how nutty it has become. Long gone are the days when well rounded geniuses were in. If you don't have a hook, you had better do some phenomenal research, raise a ton of money for a preferred cause or volunteer with an organization that supports preferred victim classes.

How’s the lawsuit coming, boss?

Reaction Score

I'm close enough to people who have been accepted and have not been accepted to Ivy League schools in recent years to say that you're not completely wrong, but to also say that an excellent student who participates in several extracurricular activities (including sports) can get into an elite school without falling into one of the categories you mentioned. I guess my thing is this - even if a student gives up sports to focus on getting into college, they still have a very low chance of getting into an any Ivy League school. So, in my mind, a student should not give up things they love just to focus on a goal that is very unlikely even for the best students.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm close enough to people who have been accepted and have not been accepted to Ivy League schools in recent years to say that you're not completely wrong, but to also say that an excellent student who participates in several extracurricular activities (including sports) can get into an elite school without falling into one of the categories you mentioned. I guess my thing is this - even if a student gives up sports to focus on getting into college, they still have a very low chance of getting into an any Ivy League school. So, in my mind, a student should not give up things they love just to focus on a goal that is very unlikely even for the best students.
That's the thing though, life is about tradeoffs. How much does the kid really love the sport compared to how badly do they want to get into a super-competitive school? Yes, there is a risk that they play the game and still don't get in but is the risk worth the reward to that specific kid?

You never really know what a kid has in their application. And many families are hiring consultants to guide kids on what activities they should engage in and then what they should put in their application. There are a lot of kids in our area whose parents hired consultants but they don't talk about it. Only people close to their family know. We learned that too late. But now we know. It may still be true that, at some ivies, a well crafted application and essay can still get a really good student in without other hooks. But the number of schools and kids this applies to shrinks rapidly every year. Of all the kids I know that got into the very top schools, they were either recruited athletes, won the national spelling bee, were diagnosed with Autism, were minorities, raised a ton of money for flood victims in a third world country, worked as an intern for a senator or volunteered at a strategically selected charity. In other words, there is something they used as a hook of sorts. Hell, even the spelling bee kid got rejected to most of the very top schools.

Reaction Score
How’s the lawsuit coming, boss?
What lawsuit? I did file a FOIL request and got the information I was looking for. I then hired a consultant to review it. We will also hire a consultant to guide the undergraduate process and med school application in a couple of years. It Is the new normal. Not sure why you care so much though. Just you being you?

Reaction Score
That's the thing though, life is about tradeoffs. How much does the kid really love the sport compared to how badly do they want to get into a super-competitive school? Yes, there is a risk that they play the game and still don't get in but is the risk worth the reward to that specific kid?

You never really know what a kid has in their application. And many families are hiring consultants to guide kids on what activities they should engage in and then what they should put in their application. There are a lot of kids in our area whose parents hired consultants but they don't talk about it. Only people close to their family know. We learned that too late. But now we know. It may still be true that, at some ivies, a well crafted application and essay can still get a really good student in without other hooks. But the number of schools and kids this applies to shrinks rapidly every year. Of all the kids I know that got into the very top schools, they were either recruited athletes, won the national spelling bee, were diagnosed with Autism, were minorities, raised a ton of money for flood victims in a third world country, worked as an intern for a senator or volunteered at a strategically selected charity. In other words, there is something they used as a hook of sorts. Hell, even the spelling bee kid got rejected to most of the very top schools.

I know some people find it fulfilling to compete for the highest level of achievement. I get that. but man that sounds sickening to me. Hiring people to help you decide what activities to do in school? Good grief. No wonder helicopter parents exist and half the kids in my school are on anxiety meds.

I don't have children. Figure at some point I'll have to knock my gf up though--eventually she'll realize she's better looking, smarter, and makes more money than me. Need something to lock her down. I'll be pretty content if my kids are average athletes, and good students so they can comfortably get into most colleges.

Reaction Score
I know some people find it fulfilling to compete for the highest level of achievement. I get that. but man that sounds sickening to me. Hiring people to help you decide what activities to do in school? Good grief. No wonder helicopter parents exist and half the kids in my school are on anxiety meds.

I don't have children. Figure at some point I'll have to knock my gf up though--eventually she'll realize she's better looking, smarter, and makes more money than me. Need something to lock her down. I'll be pretty content if my kids are average athletes, and good students so they can comfortably get into most colleges.
That is pretty funny. Good luck with the impregnation!

You are so right about the helicopter parents and the number of kids in therapy and/or on anxiety meds. It has gotten crazy. There is way too much demanded of these kids. They are barely kids anymore. Sadly, it is only going to get worse. The number of tiger parents is increasing. Like I said, we know the family of a national spelling bee winner. Nutty doesn't begin to describe it. But he did get into Princeton so they got what they wanted. One of my kids is in an Ivy and he tells me horror stories of how some parents ride their kids. Things have changed so much in a few short decades. I feel bad for these kids. We tried to guide our kids without running their lives. Was that the right thing to do? You and I probably would say yes because that is how we were raised. But people coming from certain other cultures would call us lazy or soft. Of course, if their kids don't win the spelling be and/or get into Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Stanford/MIT/Cal Tech/Chicago, the kids feel like total crap and end up anxiety cases that are miserable. Cornell had to install nets under their bridges because kids kept leaping to their deaths in the gorges.

Reaction Score
Back to the topic at hand............Clingan. Forget all this Prep vs. CIAC stuff.

The deal is done. I flew up to see him this weekend and got his commitment to UConn, certified even.

And, because he's such a bright kid, he'll be taking extra courses this year, auditing classes at Christmas, going heavy in summer school, graduating early and stepping in for Josh as a member of the class of 2021.

F

FanMan

Back to the topic at hand..Clingan. Forget all this Prep vs. CIAC stuff.

The deal is done. I flew up to see him this weekend and got his commitment to UConn, certified even.

And, because he's such a bright kid, he'll be taking extra courses this year, auditing classes at Christmas, going heavy in summer school, graduating early and stepping in for Josh as a member of the class of 2021.
Lol, now that is funny.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

You need a HOOK to increase your odds with your girlfriend. I recommend hiring a relationship consultant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Syracuse has offered Donovan.
Nailed it!
He has a lot to prove but is definitely a player to watch. Coached against him this year--I am almost positive I know the player you're referring to. Those stats don't mean too much in a public league vs pretty crappy team.

When scouting I saw him get cooked vs a laughably slow 6'4 kid from the boonies that can't touch the rim. Another game he dominated.

He needs to get to a NEPSAC asap if he wants to do anything basketball-wise. Either way I wouldn't really expect him at a UConn level program unless he makes some major strides.
He is 100% not make a high-major D1 if he doesn't leave Bristol Central. It will be a complete and utter shame if he doesn't.

Honestly, if you know the family well enough, you should he in their ear about a prep. I usually mention to parents that the education is way better. Forget about the basketball. If you get an opportunity to get a diploma for free from a private school, you take it. That's a what, 50k education per year at some places?

ANY decent high school coach is telling this kid to get into a better school. If his coach isn't he's a selfish twerp. I have encouraged kids to move on from my AAU team, to focus on other sports, or go to another high school when it is in their best interest. If you care about the kids, you do what's best for them first and the team second every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom