2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan (BCHS) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan (BCHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A private school in the public league offers the same amount of exposure as the regular public school. My point was that if a kid chooses for whatever reason to stay at his home school it is not the end of his chances to be an elite player at the next level which when reading your original post was what I perceived you as saying.
I could do without the name calling but do ur thing.

They get more exposure at private schools in a public league thanc a regular public. ooc tournaments and just the fact that they have more talented kids-- college coaches are willing to come watch games. Low and mid majors have very tight recruiting budgets. Why watch one kid at BCHS when you could watch 5, 6, 7 in another league?

Sure it's not the end of his chances. But it certainly limits them. Why would anyone purposefully limit their future? It's like starting from 1st base when you could start from 3rd.

He is still young. I would be shocked, barring a big setback in his skills, that he transfers by next year at this time.

You have yet to do anything but nitpick prep vs private when I don't clarify specifically which I'm referring to. Any original thoughts to add?

Reaction Score
They get more exposure at private schools in a public league thanc a regular public. ooc tournaments and just the fact that they have more talented kids-- college coaches are willing to come watch games. Low and mid majors have very tight recruiting budgets. Why watch one kid at BCHS when you could watch 5, 6, 7 in another league?

Sure it's not the end of his chances. But it certainly limits them. Why would anyone purposefully limit their future? It's like starting from 1st base when you could start from 3rd.

He is still young. I would be shocked, barring a big setback in his skills, that he transfers by next year at this time.

You have yet to do anything but nitpick prep vs private when I don't clarify specifically which I'm referring to. Any original thoughts to add?
I’m sorry that you get so offended by Someone pushing back on your opinions. Just going to a private school doesn’t magically enhance your game/work ethic/level of offer. I have seen several kids go that route and end up back in their home school the following year.
For a lot of players with a school offering that type of money I can 100% see why people would go that route and it work out well. It’s just my personal opinion that if a kid happens to stay where he is for family or other personal reasons he will not be closing doors if he gets it done on the court and in the classroom.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes. The CCC is the best public school league in the state. I am quite aware of this. I coach in it for Christ's sake.

I am aware that Dan Brocke played for Hall. I coached against the kid. He is also a WALK ON and not on scholarship at a d2 or d1 for a reason. He wasn't good enough.

An ALL STATE public player couldn't get a scholarship.

No team in the CCC except for East and Windsor in a good year are sniffing a competitive game with nepsac school. Players are at a severe disadvantage coming out of public school leagues if they want to play in college. Even d3.

You don't know the state of modern hs basketball if you honestly think that a high-level player is maximizing their potential at a middling CCC program.

Interesting. Much has changed. Is this mostly a CT thing? A kid playing at a smallish public in the town next to mine in Mass was a D1 scholarship player at Maryland. He was a 2nd round pick by the Orlando Magic and currently plays for the Timberwolves.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Interesting. Much has changed. Is this mostly a CT thing? A kid playing at a smallish public in the town next to mine in Mass was a D1 scholarship player at Maryland. He was a 2nd round pick by the Orlando Magic and currently plays for the Timberwolves.

I’m pretty sure the family sent his little brother up to Tilton a few years later.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry that you get so offended by Someone pushing back on your opinions. Just going to a private school doesn’t magically enhance your game/work ethic/level of offer. I have seen several kids go that route and end up back in their home school the following year.
For a lot of players with a school offering that type of money I can 100% see why people would go that route and it work out well. It’s just my personal opinion that if a kid happens to stay where he is for family or other personal reasons he will not be closing doors if he gets it done on the court and in the classroom.

You don't think a kid playing games against better competition makes him more likely to improve? At schools with higher level coaching and better facilities? oh boy.

He won't be "closing doors?" is just nuts man. But whatever. Offense not taken. Your opinion is just incorrect. All good though--agree to disagree.

Reaction Score

If he played well in AAU it could make the difference. Plus, there's always exceptions to the rule. Less likely doesn't mean impossible. And if you're NBA good, it might not matter anyways. I'm thinkin more of low and mid major types that may not otherwise get exposure

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the family sent his little brother up to Tilton a few years later.

It seems you are correct about the youngest one. #10 player in NH in his class, so probably D2? Borderline D1? Other brothers both went to King Phillip.

I mentioned it because back in the day, the best players came out of Hall, Weaver, Wilbur Cross etc.

Reaction Score
You don't think a kid playing games against better competition makes him more likely to improve? At schools with higher level coaching and better facilities? oh boy.

He won't be "closing doors?" is just nuts man. But whatever. Offense not taken. Your opinion is just incorrect. All good though--agree to disagree.
My opinion is that you can make it from anywhere if you have the talent to get there and work ethic that goes along with it. Playing at a prep I think could certainly help you get to your ceiling faster, but does it change a kids ceiling? It’s not as open and shut as you like to think your opinion makes it.

Reaction Score
If he played well in AAU it could make the difference. Plus, there's always exceptions to the rule. Less likely doesn't mean impossible. And if you're NBA good, it might not matter anyways. I'm thinkin more of low and mid major types that may not otherwise get exposure
I think this point was all I was trying to say and you said it better than I could. If your that good it might not matter where you go

Reaction Score
no dog in this fight, but it seems that if a kid isn't playing against great competition, it's hard to improve and hard to gauge how good he is...especially for a big. If you are 6'11 playing against 6'3 guys, there is no way to see how good you will be against other 6'11 guys IMO.

Obviously an NBA player can come from any school. Everyone knew Lebron was going to be great...but I don't think we're talking about Lebron based on the initial description. Sounds like 429 knows the biz and the league and is just saying that playing against better competition increases your exposure and ability to make strides faster....which I think most would agree with.

F

FanMan

He has a lot to prove but is definitely a player to watch. Coached against him this year--I am almost positive I know the player you're referring to. Those stats don't mean too much in a public league vs pretty crappy team.

When scouting I saw him get cooked vs a laughably slow 6'4 kid from the boonies that can't touch the rim. Another game he dominated.

He needs to get to a NEPSAC asap if he wants to do anything basketball-wise. Either way I wouldn't really expect him at a UConn level program unless he makes some major strides.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1565147429741.jpg
    FB_IMG_1565147429741.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 541
Reaction Score
Top 20 of the hundreds of freshman and sophomores in the country, to me, seems pretty good.
Where did you find the top 20 ranking. Also any stats info on how he and others did at this camp. Thanks in advance

F

FanMan

Where did you find the top 20 ranking. Also any stats info on how he and others did at this camp. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190807-103915_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190807-103915_Chrome.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 170
F

FanMan

When your research is limited to High School games.....no matter prep...private...or whatever....and do NOT include AAU, which IS the way to get exposure, whether you believe or not, you will not be successful. AAU gets the kids to the real exposure events. You ALL do know that Donovan plays on an AAU team with Matt Curtiss right. And this AAU team went to Vegas and beat Bronnys team......without Donovan and Matt. They also beat Damian Lillards team in Alabama....but hey, all of you got something to say....but NO real facts. I'm sorry but I HAVE experienced and witnessed what goes on in ALL of it...I wish the ciac would get MORE involved with ALL aspects of exposure for these young men.....but I don't see it ever happening.

F

FanMan

Top 20 among 550 of the top freshman and sophomores in the country. Those that went anyway.

Reaction Score
More
Thanks for info. Please continue to post any other info you have on Donovan or any other potential UConn recruits. I do not know Donovan, but know some members of his family. I am rooting for him hard.
My original post was to make people aware of a 6'11 3/4"(15 year old) player from Bristol, with potential to be a bigtime player.
Again from what I heard from very reliable sources, is that his current plan is to stay at BCHS for all 4 years.
Is that his best move, I have no idea. But if he continues to excell on AAU circuit, he will have no problems fonding a division 1 scholarship.

F

FanMan

Hell, he competes in high school tournaments out of state against players committed to D1 teams and gets this from people out of state...but cant get the respect in his own state? You think these high schoolers don't see blogs like this? If Donovan sees this, why would he want to play for these fan?. He's a 15 yr old young man that continues to work hard and be judged by people that clearly dont know jack about researching and feel they can judge.

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_173021_056.jpg
    IMG_20190807_173021_056.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads