Donovan and Samson together | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donovan and Samson together

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
People are debating and saying what Hurley likes, quoted in an article, won’t happen?

SJ is a 4 who can and will also play backup 5. It seems obvious that Hurley’s plan is to play him both.

I think we’re all anxious to see how he plays but Hurley clearly has the confidence and intention to play him this way.

Reaction Score
People are debating and saying what Hurley likes, quoted in an article, won’t happen?

SJ is a 4 who can and will also play backup 5. It seems obvious that Hurley’s plan is to play him both.

I think we’re all anxious to see how he plays but Hurley clearly has the confidence and intention to play him this way.
I think people just take what coaches say in the preseason with a little grain of salt. It's like how Calhoun told us every year we were going to get out and run and then we didn't run for like a decade straight. Clingan will also need a fairly dynamic backup to keep him rested and provide a little of that two headed monster we saw last season at center. I think people are skeptical about Singare being ready yet.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think people just take what coaches say in the preseason with a little grain of salt. It's like how Calhoun told us every year we were going to get out and run and then we didn't run for like a decade straight. Clingan will also need a fairly dynamic backup to keep him rested and provide a little of that two headed monster we saw last season at center. I think people are skeptical about Singare being ready yet.

I definitely get that…but I’d say his words tell you Hurley thinks he has the ability to succeed there, I don’t know how you argue that.

Whether it fully is implemented is different than him having the capability or skill set to make it successful.

Either way I’m excited. I’m always envisioning a longer and more athletic DeAndre Daniels with this kid.

I think Hurley sees that potential, it’s not smoke it just hasn’t happened yet.

Reaction Score

Seems pretty reasonable. We can't really have Ross/Stewart back up if we have a Freemantle-type at the opposing 4. We'll need to rely on Johnson for those matchups when Karaban sits.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I definitely get that…but I’d say his words tell you Hurley thinks he has the ability to succeed there, I don’t know how you argue that.

Whether it fully is implemented is different than him having the capability or skill set to make it successful.

Either way I’m excited. I’m always envisioning a longer and more athletic DeAndre Daniels with this kid.

I think Hurley sees that potential, it’s not smoke it just hasn’t happened yet.
Agree. Samson is not a back to the basket player. He plays facing. He was pressed into duty at the 5 as a freshman when Adama got hurt. Didn't play much at 4 when we had Akok and used Polley for shooting. Last year missed the year injured, but all his projected minutes were at PF.

His main role is backup 5, providing a different, quicker, more athletic look spelling DC. But Karaban didn't get enough of a break last season and he can fit there as well.

Reaction Score

He might have been a 4 when he got on campus, but I just don't see it at this point outside of very situational times. Unless something has drastically changed and he's developed any semblance of a perimeter game it's going to be very tough to see it happen.

And I don't really put any stock into Hurley saying it could happen, because he said the same thing last year with Sanogo and Clingan and it barely ever happened

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Agree. Samson is not a back to the basket player. He plays facing. He was pressed into duty at the 5 as a freshman when Adama got hurt. Didn't play much at 4 when we had Akok and used Polley for shooting. Last year missed the year injured, but all his projected minutes were at PF.

His main role is backup 5, providing a different, quicker, more athletic look spelling DC. But Karaban didn't get enough of a break last season and he can fit there as well.

Sanogo only became devastating when he started facing up rather than playing back to basket.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sanogo only became devastating when he started facing up rather than playing back to basket.
I mean, he was really good before. It did stop the double teams and unclog the lane, especially when he hit 3s. It allowed him to pass the ball. Definitely helped our offense and he had to find points in the flow instead of being fed the ball. Plus, it was fun when he did put it on the floor, because who really wants to take that charge?

Love the move at 1:20 of this

Reaction Score
But Sanogo’s footwork when he had the ball down low is what was devastating for opponents, especially when he started passing out of double teams. I hope Clingan is able to learn how to move down low effectively too- with his size, if he can pivot like Sanogo, who could stop him? Clingan showed how fast he can move his feet too- all the times he would sprint down the court on fast breaks- it’s going to be a great year again

Reaction Score
Just everything Samson has done on the court in his 2 years here and the fact that Stewart's offense is his biggest strength. I actually don't think it's even debatable. The argument for playing them would be on the defensive end
What 2 years have you been watching. Samson was hurt majority of last year and was a freshman the year befor. Offensively he been tearing it up when they went overseas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom