Donovan and Samson together | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Donovan and Samson together

Reaction Score
I see his point, but DC has to learn to play without fouling. If you all remember, Adama was constantly in foul trouble two years ago. For that reason, I do expect Samson will be playing the 5 a lot this year, which means his floor time with DC will be limited by necessity.
I doubt we'll see Samson on the court with Clingan other than a spot minute here or there. Samson is Clingan's backup.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I doubt we'll see Samson on the court with Clingan other than a spot minute here or there. Samson is Clingan's backup.
It's all situational really. If we were facing a Nunge/Kalkbrenner combo like last year, it would be a good lineup for us to counter that. I don't expect it to be a regular thing because Alex is going to play a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
What about when Samson comes in for Karaban? Or won't he be the backup 4 also?
The backup 4 spot is a super interesting position. I think Samson primarily will get 15 minutes as the backup center and maybe steals a few at the 4 but that still leaves some time leftover. Who is getting those minutes? Ross?

Reaction Score
It's all situational really. If we were facing a Nunge/Kalkbrenner combo like last year, it would be a good lineup for us to counter that. I don't expect it to be a regular thing because Alex is going to play a lot of minutes.
I just don't see the point of it with the roster we have. It would weaken us offensively by talking one of our handler/passer/shooters off the floor and it's not necessary defensively. I think Samson will have some trouble guarding on the perimeter and we don't need him in the paint with Clingan in there. His value is being Clingan's backup this season which is a huge role. It's the role Clingan had last season and a major reason we won it all.

Reaction Score
Jaylin Stewart
That would make sense at 6'7 205. All reports say he is alittle behind at this point but hopefully by Christmas he has carved out that spot for himself.

Reaction Score
Lol at this. We opened last season with Adama and Samson starting at the 5 and 4. If Johnson is the primary backup at both the 4 and 5, no one should be surprised. And while we have no clue if he will be good, based on his potential coming in and that he won the starting job before last season, I won’t be surprised if he is really good either

Reaction Score
I just don't see the point of it with the roster we have. It would weaken us offensively by talking one of our handler/passer/shooters off the floor and it's not necessary defensively. I think Samson will have some trouble guarding on the perimeter and we don't need him in the paint with Clingan in there. His value is being Clingan's backup this season which is a huge role. It's the role Clingan had last season and a major reason we won it all.
How about our opponents having difficulty guarding a lineup with DC at the high post and SJ in the low block. Not too many college 4’s would defend that very well

Reaction Score
We went away from the 2 bigs finally last year and we spaced the floor with shooters and a stretch 4 with a more versatile skillset. We then proceeded to win the whole enchilada. It was a welcome change that I and many had wanted. The proof is in the results and I would prefer to stick with the more modern, versatile offense unless there was a game where it made sense defensively to do otherwise to counter a specific team with a huge frontline.

Reaction Score
Just everything Samson has done on the court in his 2 years here and the fact that Stewart's offense is his biggest strength. I actually don't think it's even debatable. The argument for playing them would be on the defensive end
I’m bullish on Stewart, but had more of a general question. Do we think he’s better suited to the 4 than the 3? Is he long enough and tall enough to guard 4s? I love what I’ve seen of his offensive game btw.

Reaction Score
I’m bullish on Stewart, but had more of a general question. Do we think he’s better suited to the 4 than the 3? Is he long enough and tall enough to guard 4s? I love what I’ve seen of his offensive game btw.
I'd defer to people who have seen him in person at the open practices, but I was thinking he was a bit like Karaban in that he's probably not quick enough to guard 3's. Not sure if that's still the case since I know he cut weight since getting on campus

Reaction Score
How about our opponents having difficulty guarding a lineup with DC at the high post and SJ in the low block. Not too many college 4’s would defend that very well
If we were going to see that I think we would've seen it last year. This team should be an even better three point shooting team than last year and Samson doesn't have any of the finishing arsenal Sanogo had. I would rather Castle, Newton, and Spencer throwing lobs to Clingan and Johnson than Clingan throwing lobs to Johnson.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think I probably have a different view on what he can contribute offensively than you do. I expect him to be taking and making 3s and driving to the hoop.

Reaction Score
I think I probably have a different view on what he can contribute offensively than you do. I expect him to be taking and making 3s and driving to the hoop.
We do, I would love that but I just don't envision it. I think he'll take the occasional three, I expect that from Donovan too but I don't think we'll be seeing many drives to the hoop from him. I expect his offense will be almost exclusively alley oops and put backs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I think he has greater potential to play with Donovan than we had with Adama and Donovan, because of the movement and athleticism."
Go Big Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
It all remains to be seen. I don’t think we will see it often or for many minutes. I think it would be situational but could be very effective. It’s hard to imagine Samson on the perimeter draining threes and we do have more shooters than last year. I can’t wait to get this season started.

Reaction Score
People are sleeping on this kid. He's behind schedule because of the Seattle schools and being a little banged up but he's seriously talented.
Nope I’m already the self proclaimed president of the Jaylin Stewart hive haha.

But in all seriousness I agree. He’s going to absolutely surprise a lot of people.

Reaction Score
Stewart, Ross, Castle and Johnson could all potentially get minutes behind Karaban at the 4. It won't be many no matter what. Probably matchup dependent.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Karaban play like 32-34 minutes a game last year? I’m pretty sure he had the most minutes

Reaction Score
It’s not a double big debate at all. Johnson was expected to play the 4. Hurley called out why it’s different, Samson can play outside.
I agree with this.

Johnson is a 4 who is going to get minutes at the 5 out of necessity.

Sanogo (undersized as he was) was a college 5 who, while he could hit an outside shot, wasn't really comfortable spacing the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom