Donovan and Samson together | The Boneyard

Donovan and Samson together

Reaction Score
From the CT Inside article:

But Johnson's strong play over the weekend has Hurley excited about the notion of playing him together with 7-foot-2 center Donovan Clingan. Last season, Clingan and starting center Adama Sanogo rarely shared the same floor.

"When you're hoping to have what we had last year in terms of two guys at that position that don't give the other team a break, two centers that can really maintain an incredibly high level for you, we feel really good about that," Hurley said. "I think he has greater potential to play with Donovan than we had with Adama and Donovan, because of the movement and athleticism."-DH

I would love to see this. More minutes for Singare as well

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Lock it up. No more double big debates. That being said, I think Samson is going to punish teams off the bench. Like a mini version of Donovan off the bench last year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lock it up. No more double big debates. That being said, I think Samson is going to punish teams off the bench. Like a mini version of Donovan off the bench last year.
It’s not a double big debate at all. Johnson was expected to play the 4. Hurley called out why it’s different, Samson can play outside.

Reaction Score
If Samson can defend 4s and shoot 3s, there's no problem if he plays the 4 with Donovan at the 5.

The problems come in if both of those are not true.

But either way, I expect them to play like 5-10 min a game together, depending on how Jaylin Stewart is coming along.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would prefer to see all of the minutes at the 4 spot going to Karaban and Stewart. I'm not convinced a lineup with Johnson and Clingan on the floor at the same time is good enough offensively
I'm not sure why you'd think Stewart is ahead of Johnson offensively. Meanwhile, good luck stopping the lob to Clingan from Johnson.

Reaction Score
It's easy to forget that Hurley played Adama and Donovan together briefly, I think it was the Pee Cee game. It's not like DH is completely opposed to playing two bigs. It was that just that moving Adama far from the lane made him a liability in defense.

caw

Reaction Score
I would prefer to see all of the minutes at the 4 spot going to Karaban and Stewart. I'm not convinced a lineup with Johnson and Clingan on the floor at the same time is good enough offensively

That would all depend on who is around them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's easy to forget that Hurley played Adama and Donovan together briefly, I think it was the Pee Cee game. It's not like DH is completely opposed to playing two bigs. It was that just that moving Adama far from the lane made him a liability in defense.
Yes, except our expected starting lineup was Adama and Samson. Samson has been pressed into duty as a 5, but he's a 4.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you'd think Stewart is ahead of Johnson offensively. Meanwhile, good luck stopping the lob to Clingan from Johnson.
Just everything Samson has done on the court in his 2 years here and the fact that Stewart's offense is his biggest strength. I actually don't think it's even debatable. The argument for playing them would be on the defensive end

Reaction Score
It’s not a double big debate at all. Johnson was expected to play the 4. Hurley called out why it’s different, Samson can play outside.
Fortunately coach Hurley makes the call. Could be a dominate front line and fun to watch.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Over the long haul Stewart would be the better option. I just don't think he is there yet.

Reaction Score
Another season talking about two bigs. Neat.
This combo may actually work though, Samson did start at the 4 game 1 last year. I think it all depends on Singare's development because burning Samson and Clingan at the same time might leave us exhausted and thin at the frontcourt. Also there's foul trouble to worry about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

But Johnson's strong play over the weekend has Hurley excited about the notion of playing him together with 7-foot-2 center Donovan Clingan. Last season, Clingan and starting center Adama Sanogo rarely shared the same floor.

"When you're hoping to have what we had last year in terms of two guys at that position that don't give the other team a break, two centers that can really maintain an incredibly high level for you, we feel really good about that," Hurley said. "I think he has greater potential to play with Donovan than we had with Adama and Donovan, because of the movement and athleticism."-DH

Here is the way a coach thinks
1. I have two bigs
2. It could be amazing putting them on the floor together but:
3 Bigs are Fouling magnets
4. Two quick ones on both and we’re screwed Karaban's my 5
5 No way will I risk having them both sit ( unless I have a competent 3 choice)
Saying that I thought Hurley could have given him more minutes at the four . Just playing a face up game bring taller version of Adrian

Reaction Score

I see his point, but DC has to learn to play without fouling. If you all remember, Adama was constantly in foul trouble two years ago. For that reason, I do expect Samson will be playing the 5 a lot this year, which means his floor time with DC will be limited by necessity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom