Donny Marshall | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Surprised to hear him doing color commentary on the Argentina vs. Lithuania Olympic basketball game.

He does a nice job.

Reaction Score
He is a good commentator and analyst. Best part so far was when his co-commentator said the Heat would rather play the Celtics than the Sixers in last season's playoffs. He was like, are you stupid?

Reaction Score
...being of Lithuanian descent...Donny Marshall is the only good thing about this game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great seeing former UCONN guys do well anywhere. And he is a good announcer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good timing for Donny. He was working for Comcast when they bought NBC. I've seen him on NBC Sports Channel a few times and now at The Olympics. Perhaps he'll get the job doing Big East games on NBC.

Reaction Score
Good timing for Donny. He was working for Comcast when they bought NBC.
Comcast NE brought him in to do Celtics road games a few years ago because Tommy Heinsohn was getting old & didn't want to travel as much anymore. That was the year they won the title... good timing indeed. ;)

If you have Comcast cable you've also seen him during the nightly (6 PM & later) sports shows... various ESPN-like shows on hoops or the Pats etc (in season). He's always been great... a natural for TV... NBA experience, well spoken, smart, funny & good looking to boot. :)

Reaction Score
Donny made a few major gaffs during the broadcast which if he were a Dukie we would have killed him for. For example he said that the Argentina squad was very old so this will be their last chance to secure a Gold Medal...Argentina won gold in 2004!!!

Reaction Score
For example he said that the Argentina squad was very old so this will be their last chance to secure a Gold Medal...Argentina won gold in 2004!!!
I didn't hear the quote, but I'd bet a 6 pack you have misunderstood what he said.
He wasn't saying that Argentina had never before won a gold.
He also wasn't saying that Argentina would never again win a gold.
He was simply saying that this team - meaning the core guys on the court, would not be around in 4 years to go for gold again, so, because of their age, this would be the last olympics at which they could win gold.

Seems legit, and is said all the time about many olympic athletes as they get into their later years.

Reaction Score
UConNYC, Donny didn't make a mistake at all, he was saying he thought this was the last time Argentina had a chance at winning with this group because they are getting old, the only mistake that was made was with your listening comprehension.

Reaction Score
UConNYC, Donny didn't make a mistake at all, he was saying he thought this was the last time Argentina had a chance at winning with this group because they are getting old, the only mistake that was made was with your listening comprehension.

Technically what he said was not incorrect, but the way he said it certainly implied that Argentina's veterans had not achieved Gold in the past. There were a few other mistakes I noticed, but in fairness, the only reason I was so tuned into his commentary was because he is a UConn alum and I'm sure even the best commentators make plenty of gaffs.

Reaction Score
Hard to do your homework for so many unknown players and be correct throughout the games.....he's done a very good job on his telecasts thus far.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hard to do your homework for so many unknown players and be correct throughout the games.....he's done a very good job on his telecasts thus far.....

The guy doing the women's games got Geno's name wrong.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
...being of Lithuanian descent...Donny Marshall is the only good thing about this game.
I thought I was the only one with any Lithuanian blood around here

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well George Bush got his name wrong too so i forgive the broadcaster.

To be fair, W didn't spend the three previous months preparing. Then again, neither did the announcer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom