Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yipes this is a UConn board.

Bros Before Hoes

Hoes being PC, Creighton and the rest of the BE

Reaction Score
Donny should adopt the Dookie V system and be beloved by all:
1. Hype anything good (real or imagined) about every team.
2. Never criticize any coach, player or referee.
3. Offer no insights into the finer/less obvious areas of the game.
4. Shout out platitudes about an athletic play (example: fail to mention the great pass and overly hype the dunk).
5. Repeat what you just said at least twice.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I just watched the replay about 30 times and I can't tell. I change my mind about every 10x I look at it.
It's been a while since the last time I watched the 1987 Sugar Ray Leonard - Marvin Hagler fight, but I remember that I've gone back & forth on who won it many times. Doing so has always been a function of Hagler being my favorite boxer, knowing that Leonard was judged the winner, and admitting that I never considered myself a knowdgeable fan.

Probably means that it's time to watch the fight again.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sanogo seems to routinely be in the paint for 3 seconds. Refs don't typically call it unless it's blatantly obvious. I.e. 5 or more seconds.

That said, I think Donny has developed a standard fall back commentary, of "That's Big East Basketball" when things aren't going UConn's way.

Reaction Score
Y'all are wrong. It was absolutely a goaltend. Bang-bang play but he clearly pinned it right after it hit the backboard.
Fully agree, it was a close call but in the replay looked like they got it right. To all who say it was a miserable call, if it was a Hawkins layup that was blocked you’d be screaming to the heavens it was a goaltend

Reaction Score
Sanogo seems to routinely be in the paint for 3 seconds. Refs don't typically call it unless it's blatantly obvious. I.e. 5 or more seconds.

That said, I think Donny has developed a standard fall back commentary, of "That's Big East Basketball" when things aren't going UConn's way.
I just got clarification on this. if the player is making moves to shoot or intending to shoot it's ok. So you literally can stay in the lane forever. But if he passes out of the lane he has to move out right away or it would be called. Refs could call this 50 times a game and don't.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I loved Donny as a player and generally like him as an announcer - I always love ex-players\coaches and their stories (a few less about Douglas Firs though, OK?) but I agree this year it feels like he's trying too hard to show he isn't biased. I've always felt he's been a little down on UConn when announcing and I think that's so he doesn't appear as too much of a homer - in off moments & anecdotes he's shown he's clearly a Husky.

However, Donny suggesting Sanogo should have gone for a block (low % chance for him there) instead of trying (and IMO succeeding) to take a charge I just don't get. Huh?

On the other end, you had Kalkbrenner touch the ball 2 feet from the ref after Sanogo almost double dribbled. After Kalk touched it, Sanogo grabbed it and was called. It was an inexplicable call.
Ok, so I'm not insane right? I rewound that because I was like WTF? Kalk hit the ball which means it's not a double dribble - it was clear too, the ball's direction changed.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it turning on Donny.

It's just painful to listen to one of our UConn greats say analytical things that are just absolutely wrong and knowing that he's savvy enough to know that what he's saying is wrong...but he's doing it just to quash any "Donny is a homer announcer" concerns.

The most egregious yesterday was the whole "If you switch Sanogo and Kalk's statlines/performances, the game turns out the same" analysis.

Really???

You've played high-level basketball, done analysis for years, and you can say that in good faith?

That's why this thread exists.
He’s trolling

Reaction Score
I like Donny Marshall. I like listening to his stories about UConn days. He sound professional to me. With exception to the Providence game I think his call and analysis is fine. The Providence game was just ridiculous… the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years. 35 FTs in 40 minutes was just ridiculous so I don’t understand why Donny didn’t call that out. The home team getting spotted 8 -10 points is within bounds of normal, but I’d say the refs spotted Providence 20 on that night. Every time they turned the ball over the whistle blew and they found a foul to call somewhere. Donny just completely blew the call on that game, but otherwise I think he is fine.

Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like he’s trying too hard not to be a homer? Keeps talking about phantom three seconds calls on us when Sanogo is outside the key. Said that foul on Clingan’s dunk attempt shouldn’t have been called in that situation. Just seems like he’s trying too hard to prove he’s not rooting for us, and in my opinion it’s a bad look. If I didn’t know he was a UConn grad, I would question whether he actually knows basketball sometimes.
I just sent a text out to my friend saying how he said (Marshal) to Uconn fans let the coaches coach because you don’t know what you’re talking about and how to coach a team….Hey Donnie players are getting paid now we can talk all we want.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Donny said the BE refs are second to none. Wow.

My wife told me nothing would make her happier on her birthday than some diamonds.

So I got her nothing.

I'll see myself out.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else tired of hearing him plead for the return of the jump ball. Do we really want to go back to that? Being old enough to remember that, it slowed the game down, disrupted flow and resulted in many mismatched size jumps.

Reaction Score
Blatant foul against Karaban.

Marshall - “Calm down, UConn fans, you’re up 20.”

Do fouls not count if you have a big lead?
Funny, I texted the same thing to a friend. He got fouled by 1 guy from behind and the other guy from the front. Should have been a double foul and 4 shots. :)

Reaction Score
Had to turn the sound off. Neither of those guys have ever had an unexpressed thought.

Reaction Score
He’s become such an awful announcer. Pregame talking how uconn is better off and the players are happier because Hurley is wearing a mask so he’ll be heard less. So done with him, really sad to see what he’s become this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom