Donny Marshall.. bleed blue? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall.. bleed blue?

Reaction Score
I watched the game too. Like I watch every single game. His three was basically a brick that fell in. If he’s such a sharp shooter from beyond the arc, why has he only fired up 9 threes all year? And you’re telling me that after watching him play all these years, you want him regularly bombing away from deep? I’m all set, thanks.
You should talk to Dan Hurley about this since he's the one who has been calling on Whaley to shoot more 3's all season

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You should talk to Dan Hurley about this since he's the one who has been calling on Whaley to shoot more 3's all season
I should. You’re right. You got his contact? Whaley needs to stay in the paint IMO. Outside of dunks, hes almost an offensive liability. And people here are asking for him to shoot more. And from long range.

Reaction Score
I should. You’re right. You got his contact? Whaley needs to stay in the paint IMO. Outside of dunks, hes almost an offensive liability. And people here are asking for him to shoot more. And from long range.
Anyone else you can give us some early insight on? So far you know better than our coaching staff on Whaley and Cole, which of our other best players are they misusing?

Reaction Score
Are you the guy who used to sit near me in Hartford and sleep through most of the games?

Reaction Score
Donny does a great job providing balanced contributions to his color commentary.
  • Good analysis without being too verbose.
  • Timely stats without being too analytical.
  • Interesting personal connections to his playing days without reliving the glory days or sounding like his best years have passed.
  • Being funny/bro-y with the play-by-play guy without sounding like a dolt.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Are you the guy who used to sit near me in Hartford and sleep through most of the games?
No. I'm just honest about what I see. Maybe others see differently.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Anyone else you can give us some early insight on? So far you know better than our coaching staff on Whaley and Cole, which of our other best players are they misusing?
Polley. He should have started yesterday.

Play Akok or don't play Akok. The 2 minute spurts are pointless and set us back in terms of game flow.

Adama should never receive the ball outside of ten feet or in transition - he's going to set traveling records.

These are my only other suggestions, in addition to my earlier critiques of Cole and Whaley. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
That at the Bishop foul against Sanogo was kind of silly to make a big deal about it. He definitely fouled Sanogo.
In real time I think Donny missed the foul. When they showed an angle of it where Bishop clearly made contact, I think he saw it and tempered his comments.

Reaction Score
I think you're being extremely picky. You can't play favorite while being a national broadcaster
Wow, if you don’t think he’s going out of his way to NOT be a homer, you’re nuts! I noticed it in previous games but yesterday every time we got a call (which wasn’t so frequent) he would find a way to say “ehhh not so sure that’s a foul”

nearing the end there was a rebound that got loose, as I think Whaley ran for it, a blue jay clearly body checked him out of bounds, such an obvious foul and totally unnecessary when you’re up 10 with a minute and a half left. There was donny saying “do you have to call that? The ball might have already been out of bounds”, exactly Donny... so call out the Creighton player for fouling in an insane situation.

then there was a foul where RJ is dribbling and I believe the same guy is hedging out to trap him but pushes into him to get him back court, once again obvious foul that was called, but there’s Donny saying that they shouldn’t have called a foul or should have called RJ for an offensive foul because he cocked his head back. Donny is dead to me and if you’re objective about calls, he should be dead to you too

Reaction Score
Wow, if you don’t think he’s going out of his way to NOT be a homer, you’re nuts! I noticed it in previous games but yesterday every time we got a call (which wasn’t so frequent) he would find a way to say “ehhh not so sure that’s a foul”

nearing the end there was a rebound that got loose, as I think Whaley ran for it, a blue jay clearly body checked him out of bounds, such an obvious foul and totally unnecessary when you’re up 10 with a minute and a half left. There was donny saying “do you have to call that? The ball might have already been out of bounds”, exactly Donny... so call out the Creighton player for fouling in an insane situation.

then there was a foul where RJ is dribbling and I believe the same guy is hedging out to trap him but pushes into him to get him back court, once again obvious foul that was called, but there’s Donny saying that they shouldn’t have called a foul or should have called RJ for an offensive foul because he cocked his head back. Donny is dead to me and if you’re objective about calls, he should be dead to you too
lol nope

Reaction Score
A lot of people on here are just reacting to their wives saying, “who is that?” during the broadcast. My wife might prefer Donny but I don’t blame her for it!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Donny's best line was when Sanogo got the steal and try to go coast to coast only to get caught up in his own feet in the lane...... Donny mentioned one of the guards has got be running at least as hard as Sanogo so he has someone to pass the ball to while going down court. Nice nudge to the small guys from UConn's best front court runner ever.

Reaction Score
I like Donny as an announcer even if I don't agree with everything he says. Like others, the only thing I really disagreed with him about was the Sanogo play. He was going for the ball and the other player made no attempt. He made contact with the player and it wasn't by the way of boxing out. Was it hard, no. But a foul doesn't have to be a ton of contact.

The important thing is the ref is the one who got it right. That's what I really care about.

Reaction Score
I like Donny. If he ever stresses the importance of hitting free throws in the clutch, I may explode from the inside out.

Reaction Score
I think as a UConn player and fan, he has to bottle up so much anger and energy during the game that he deserves extra praise.

Going after the FT and D usage was as close to an outburst as an alumni can do, and I don't blame him during the STJ game. His intelligence of the team alone makes him a must listen.

Aside: Used to talk with him every now and again when he did the Hornets games...he Bleeds Blue without a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Donny starts calling Sanogo a "diaper dandy", I am out. Seriously though, I wouldn't want him saying " You can't do that to UCONN" or "UCONN always gets robbed in these fouls". How would that sound to a national audience? He can't be a complete homer, otherwise he would not have a job there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom