Donny Marshall as a color commentator | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall as a color commentator

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
I'm watching the 14 Illinois vs. 21 Ohio State game on Fox (OSU up 15 at the half). Donny's calling the game and he's doing a really nice job IMO. Good voice, cadence and knowledge. He was complaining in the first half about fouling three-point shooters and the play-by-play guy asked him what Calhoun would do (WWJCD). He responded that he probably wouldn't have been understand it, and that it'd probably go in one ear -- and out that same ear. Hope he calls one of our games this season.

Reaction Score
Donny is solid. I'd like to see more of him. Lots of broadcasters I'd like to see more of. Boneyard favorite Dickey Simpkins is another broadcaster I'd like to see more of.

Sports broadcasting is bit of trigger point for me. The industry seems like a good ole boys club. At least at the highest levels. There is like 20 (or less) dudes who have broadcast every big game of my entire life. It shouldn't, but it bothers me. It's quite petty of me.

In my mind there's some dude who waited his entire career for Al Michaels to retire. He's now retired and Al is still working.

Reaction Score
I agree he's pretty good. He's been doing this for a while so he's had lots of practice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Donny was awesome when he covered the Celtics in the studio role on NESN. He seems to be handling the switch to calling games well.

Reaction Score
I'm watching the 14 Illinois vs. 21 Ohio State game on Fox (OSU up 15 at the half). Donny's calling the game and he's doing a really nice job IMO. Good voice, cadence and knowledge. He was complaining in the first half about fouling three-point shooters and the play-by-play guy asked him what Calhoun would do (WWJCD). He responded that he probably wouldn't have been understand it, and that it'd probably go in one ear -- and out that same ear. Hope he calls one of our games this season.
He is doing Monday’s game.

Reaction Score
I used to watch Donny when he was a regular on the Celtics broadcast. He's really good at making the game simple for viewers.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He's a top-notch color commentator. Always happy when he's commentating. Was cool when he did the CBS UConn specific broadcast in the 2014 FF.

I had the pleasure of talking to Donny a few years back at this tea shop I worked at that he and his wife and kids would come to occasionally. Extremely gracious, down-to-earth, intelligent, good dude with good basketball insight.

This was right before Hayward's free agency and he thought there was a decent shot he would leave the Jazz and come to the Celtics lol.

Reaction Score
Got the classic “It is cold outside, but it is going to be warm in here” from Donny Marshall to kick off the Ohio State vs Illinois broadcast

Reaction Score
Once the Big10 wins a title I’ll take the conference seriously.
It's only been 2 decades lol, I live in BigTen country and it's hilarious...(still hard for me to call Butler a BE school, but it is what it is)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Donny is solid. I'd like to see more of him. Lots of broadcasters I'd like to see more of. Boneyard favorite Dickey Simpkins is another broadcaster I'd like to see more of.

Sports broadcasting is bit of trigger point for me. The industry seems like a good ole boys club. At least at the highest levels. There is like 20 (or less) dudes who have broadcast every big game of my entire life. It shouldn't, but it bothers me. It's quite petty of me.

In my mind there's some dude who waited his entire career for Al Michaels to retire. He's now retired and Al is still working.

Was Dickey the "hot like fire!" guy?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hasn't he already done at least 1 UConn game this season or did I imagine that?
One of the early home games, I think the first. Another plus from the move to the Big East is a new roster of announcers. I thought the guys doing the Marquette game were top notch.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Donny was awesome when he covered the Celtics in the studio role on NESN. He seems to be handling the switch to calling games well.
He used to do color for some of the road games Tommy didn’t want to travel to. He was good for both. He just wasn’t “green” enough for NESN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom