Donald Brown sighting. | The Boneyard

Donald Brown sighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been half heartedly watching the Colts game. I just saw DB in the game. Unfortunately, he whiffed on a block and Painter got absolutely blasted. I really root for DB a ton, but he just can't seem to turn the corner with the pass protection.
I wonder if another team and another scheme would be what he needs.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
He isn't an NFL back. He doesn't break tackles, pass block, or give a team breakaway speed. The one thing he does well (catch the ball) is negated by the fact that the Colts coaching staff has no idea how to utilize their backs.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He isn't an NFL back. He doesn't break tackles, pass block, or give a team breakaway speed. The one thing he does well (catch the ball) is negated by the fact that the Colts coaching staff has no idea how to utilize their backs.
He had a nasty stiff arm in college. The problem with stiffarms is that you need to get into the open field to use them, and he rarely got to the second level.

Reaction Score

See, I don't agree with all of that. I agree that he has shown nothing blocking-wise. But I think if you were to stick him behind an O-line that can get upfield and run block, he can be a star. He can break tackles (just not two d-linemen in the backfield), and has enough breakaway speed (assuming it's not him vs. 9 unblocked defenders), but he has a Conference USA level run-blocking O-line in front of him. Since 2007, I think the Colts o-line has been by far the worst in terms of run blocking. Unless you are Barry Sanders, you aren't gonna get any yards if there are two defenders in the backfield when you are handed the ball. And even on the rare occasion they keep guys out of the back field, the Colts O-line has been completely unable to get to the second level and their receivers have no clue how to block. I think it is another area where the Colts put too many of their eggs in the Peyton basket.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Thing is, both Addai and Delone Carter have shown the ability to run behind that admittedly porous Colts O-Line. Brown has not done so consistently yet. I agree that Brown has some redeeming qualities, but I have not seen consistent NFl level play from him and statistics back me up here.

Reaction Score
If he was taken by the Jets he'd have had a year or 2 similat to Greene's. You need a line that can run block and you need reps. He has neither.

Greene with the Colts would not be impressive.

Reaction Score
If he was taken by the Jets he'd have had a year or 2 similat to Greene's. You need a line that can run block and you need reps. He has neither.

Greene with the Colts would not be impressive.

Nor is Greene with the Jets, but that's neither here nor there...

Reaction Score
Saw Anthony Sherman start against the Gmen he looked very good with his blocking and his receiving they should have given it to him more often with all the attention the Giants had on Fitzgerald, also Beatty looked very good

Reaction Score
You sure junior?

I have no idea what Greene has done to impress you. It makes me feel better about my own talent evaluation, though, that Rex Ryan hasn't been impressed enough to give the guy consistent playing time instead of going back to binky Tomlinson...

Reaction Score
Let's not sugarcoat this one or dream - Donald Brown is a a bust and a half of a first round pick and will likely be out of the NFL in couple years. If he was a third round pick or lower, the Colts would have likely dumped him at this point. He's around because of the initial investment. Everything I've read about him and by simply watching the guy - Indy is basically fed up. You can blame the Oline, but he's also running behind a pass happy offense that should open/spread the field. And like someone else said, other backs do more with with the same assortment. It sucks to say, but DB is a bust. He's another great case of a kid that just didn't translate - that's what separates the good scouts from the bad in the NFL. Because he was a darn good college back.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what Greene has done to impress you. It makes me feel better about my own talent evaluation, though, that Rex Ryan hasn't been impressed enough to give the guy consistent playing time instead of going back to binky Tomlinson...

So first he doesn't play for the Jets and now he isn't that good.

Pay attention Sparky.

In a 16 game season if a RB got 20 carries a game (320 carries) and finished the year with 1300 yds most teams would take that from a RB just out of college. (or out of any RB for that matter)

Greene had a total of 293 carries combined 2009 & 2010 and had 1300 yds.

This year the Jets are sucking from what I can see.

Your turn to spin, sport.

Reaction Score

<---- Bitter, Greene owner in Fantasy Football 2 years running

Reaction Score
Donald Brown is in the wrong system. But the great ones shine regardless of the system.

Reaction Score
I've been half heartedly watching the Colts game. I just saw DB in the game. Unfortunately, he whiffed on a block and Painter got absolutely blasted. I really root for DB a ton, but he just can't seem to turn the corner with the pass protection.
I wonder if another team and another scheme would be what he needs.
He did not whiff. He just blocked nobody and the guy came up the middle.

Reaction Score
Thing is, both Addai and Delone Carter have shown the ability to run behind that admittedly porous Colts O-Line. Brown has not done so consistently yet. I agree that Brown has some redeeming qualities, but I have not seen consistent NFl level play from him and statistics back me up here.

this is a bit of a stretch. they may block better, or be better goal line options, but their rushing numbers are not much better, if at all. and if all three of your RBs have weak stats, that is on your O-line and your scheme.

Reaction Score
Donald is suffering form the same thing that slowed him his sophomore year. He needs to lose a little weight. Not a lot, but for some guys a few pounds reduce their effectiveness. Tiki Barber went through the same thing. Once he got a little smaller, he got back his quickness and acceleration. Guys beef up to make it through the NFL season. The effect on each depends on the players. It really slows Donald down.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Donald Brown is just not an NFL running back, much like Darius Butler is just not an NFL DB.

Reaction Score
Donald Brown is just not an NFL running back, much like Darius Butler is just not an NFL DB.

So Butler started for Carolina yesterday and stuck on his guy like glue, made a couple of excellent open field tackles. He covered both Johnny Knox and Roy Williams. His coach says that Butler is suited to the man that the Panthers play, whereas the Patriots play zone.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So Butler started for Carolina yesterday and stuck on his guy like glue, made a couple of excellent open field tackles. He covered both Johnny Knox and Roy Williams. His coach says that Butler is suited to the man that the Panthers play, whereas the Patriots play zone.

They never threw the ball at him. Do you think it's because he's the new Revis Island, or because Jay Cutler is awful?

Reaction Score
They never threw the ball at him. Do you think it's because he's the new Revis Island, or because Jay Cutler is awful?

It's because Cutler is awful. Nonetheless, those wide receivers are decent NFL receivers, Knox, Williams and Hester. And I'd venture to say that a guy who starts in the NFL and does decently is a NFL caliber CB. Not only that, but Darius had a fine rookie year for New England, and what people seem to have missed is that he was torched to open his sophomore year, then was bench, but came back and played a great many snaps the last 8 games, and he did really well. It didn't stop Belichick from drafting Dowling however, and really I don't see Butler as being better than the Patriots' top 4. His downfall is his physicality at the line of scrimmage. When you look at the Patriots CBs now, they went from smaller CBs with excellent 3 cones like Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, Darius Butler and Jon Wilhite to tall strong CBs like McCourty, Bodden, Dowling and Arrington. It's been a complete change in Belichick's approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom