Dom Amore: True freshman and habitual winner Zion Turner will have to grow up fast as UConn football becomes his show (Courant) | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: True freshman and habitual winner Zion Turner will have to grow up fast as UConn football becomes his show (Courant)

Reaction Score
This is where you are glad that your OC/QB Coach was also a Head Coach (and Dad). I’m sure they will be spending alot of time together this week.

Reaction Score
At least we got a break from the schedule for the next game. If we play like we did against USU we should win this game freshman QB or not.

Reaction Score
Gotta love coach speak.

Mora: "I didn’t see him hesitate at all."

In the same interview, also Mora: "There were times when he was hesitant to pull the trigger,” Mora said. “There were times when he was hesitant to just run it. "

From the article it sounds more like Mora was talking about Zion not hesitating to come off the bench and play, not his on-the-field hesitation.

Reaction Score
He didn't hesitate in the huddle, he called the snap count without any hesitation. The hesitation was what happened after he got the ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He didn't hesitate in the huddle, he called the snap count without any hesitation. The hesitation was what happened after he got the ball.

This is true. And was to be somewhat expected.

I am excited to see what he can do with a full week of prep. I am really curious what a week of prep at Storrs does, followed by a game at home against CCSU and then another week of prep and a home game against SU.

If Turner is still the starting QB for SU, his performance in that game will strongly influence whether I think this is a two win or a possible 4-5 win team.

I've been on record saying several times I was hoping Turner would get some reps this year but that overall the college game was going to take some adjusting but wanted him to be the starter by 2023.

Looks like we are ahead of schedule for that.

Reaction Score
This is true. And was to be somewhat expected.

I am excited to see what he can do with a full week of prep. I am really curious what a week of prep at Storrs does, followed by a game at home against CCSU and then another week of prep and a home game against SU.

If Turner is still the starting QB for SU, his performance in that game will strongly influence whether I think this is a two win or a possible 4-5 win team.

I've been on record saying several times I was hoping Turner would get some reps this year but that overall the college game was going to take some adjusting but wanted him to be the starter by 2023.

Looks like we are ahead of schedule for that.
At the end of the day, if he really has what it takes then this isn't the worst thing for the future. It might be a rough year but there's nothing like game reps to gain experience.

Reaction Score
It's cliché, but playing can only help him. And while not the same, St Thomas played on the big stage a lot, so I don't think the moment will be too much for him.

Reaction Score
It's cliché, but playing can only help him. And while not the same, St Thomas played on the big stage a lot, so I don't think the moment will be too much for him.
But but Randy said a year off would make him bigger. Faster. And stronger ?

Reaction Score
The ‘Cuse game will reveal what we have, or don’t have, in ZT.
It would be great if he played great against the fruit. But he’s only a freshman and was not slated to start. The staff thinks enough of him to have him as the number 2, but were hoping to give him more time.
With this staff and team I believe they will minimize the impact if he’s not ready and not throw him to the wolves like previous staffs. In other words, bring him along at the appropriate pace without necessarily giving any games away.
We have NEVER had a coach nearly as good as MORA. NEVER.

Reaction Score
That's quite an offer list. Did you guys realize he had those type of offers?

Zion Turner is a 6-1 185lb QB attending St Thomas Aquinas School in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. Other offers from Arkansas, Coastal Carolina, FIU, Jacksonville State, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami (FL), Pitt, Southern Miss, Temple, Texas A&M and Toledo.

Highlights

From Zion's 247 Sports Bio: Also runs track. Originally from Miami-Dade. Started 39 varsity games in three years in Sunshine State's second-highest classification.

2021: Led St. Thomas Aquinas to its third-straight state title as Raiders went 14-1 and capturing a Florida 7A ring in the process. Completed 68 percent of his passes for 2,103 yards with 25 touchdowns to go against 5 interceptions. Also ran for 382 yards and 12 more scores averaging 5.0 yards per carry. Named to Sun Sentinel All-County first-team offense.

2020: Guided STA to an 8-1 record and a 7A state title. Threw for 1,066 yards, 9 touchdowns and 6 interceptions in 9 games while rushing for 206 yards and 7 touchdowns. Miami Herald All-Broward 8A-6A first-team selection.

2019: MaxPreps Sophomore All-American second-team selection. Won preseason quarterback battle and ended up going 15-0 as the starter leading the Raiders to a 7A state title.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One noticeable positive was he wasn't fazed getting the play in, everyone lined up and the dwindling play clock. We would have had at least 2 Delay of Game penalties last year. He's cleary comfortable in his own skin, that's a start, but we can't wait on him if he doesn't get over the freshman struggles.

Reaction Score
I don’t know much about Turner but if he committed to UConn over some of the other programs recruiting him I’ve got to think he did so because he wanted to play. He most likely wouldn’t have gotten time at a place like Miami, A & M, WVU or others. He just got his opportunity a lot sooner that he (and others) probably had in mind. He probably wants to prove to alot of people that he has the talent to play at the highest level.

While the injury to Roberson is not what anyone wanted, this opens up the opportunity for Turner at a time when adjustments still need to be made and when the offense is still learning to click. Add in the CCSU matchup this week and this is a good opportunity to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
It would be great if he played great against the fruit. But he’s only a freshman and was not slated to start. The staff thinks enough of him to have him as the number 2, but were hoping to give him more time.
With this staff and team I believe they will minimize the impact if he’s not ready and not throw him to the wolves like previous staffs. In other words, bring him along at the appropriate pace without necessarily giving any games away.
We have NEVER had a coach nearly as good as MORA. NEVER.
Mora has said multiple times he is the starter. Unless he does something really stupid against ccsu, he is going to be starting against Cause.

Reaction Score
we need to air it out more. cant throw a bunch of dinks and expect to run the ball effectively. move the safeties.
hopefully, we open up the playbook against syracuse. because i expect to run the ball down CCSU throats. our run-blocking was stellar.
felt like the RE1.0 days with Donald Brown.

Reaction Score
That's quite an offer list. Did you guys realize he had those type of offers?
Yes, there is a very good, active and informative football recruiting board on this site with class discussions usually starting a few years before signing days. 2026 class has already started. Thanks to a number of people who drive it.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is a very good, active and informative football recruiting board on this site with class discussions usually starting a few years before signing days. 2026 class has already started. Thanks to a number of people who drive it.
Yeah I'm very familiar with that board I've just been out of commission last winter and early spring so I missed the recruiting of Zion

Reaction Score
we need to air it out more. cant throw a bunch of dinks and expect to run the ball effectively. move the safeties.
hopefully, we open up the playbook against syracuse. because i expect to run the ball down CCSU throats. our run-blocking was stellar.
felt like the RE1.0 days with Donald Brown.
It's tough to spend a week coming up with a gameplan for your starting QB and then have him go down in the first quarter. I'm sure both QBs do different things well and that we will see a different and more expansive set of plays going forward

Reaction Score
I don’t know much about Turner but if he committed to UConn over some of the other programs recruiting him I’ve got to think he did so because he wanted to play. He most likely wouldn’t have gotten time at a place like Miami, A & M, WVU or others. He just got his opportunity a lot sooner that he (and others) probably had in mind. He probably wants to prove to alot of people that he has the talent to play at the highest level.

While the injury to Roberson is not what anyone wanted, this opens up the opportunity for Turner at a time when adjustments still need to be made and when the offense is still learning to click. Add in the CCSU matchup this week and this is a good opportunity to see what he can do.
Remember teams cast a large net with offers. Most of them likely filled his offer with someone else. Also he went to a prestigious football HS.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom