Dom Amore on the eye test | The Boneyard

Dom Amore on the eye test

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
According to the latest betting odds, Uconn is only behind South Carolina as the favorite to win it all so it seems like the "smart money" is also a believer.

Reaction Score
One thing I think about when I look at this team roster is that they are all likely bound for 1st (mostly) or early 2nd round WNBA draft choices when their time comes. This is effectively, now, a semi-pro team. The NCAA tournament will be a rocker.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"Forget the metrics and open your eyes — there is something going on here, something unique." - Dom Amore

“If you think UConn is the eighth or ninth best team in the country, you’re a fool.” - Seton Hall coach Anthony Bozzella

Couldn't be said better.

Reaction Score
One thing I think about when I look at this team roster is that they are all likely bound for 1st (mostly) or early 2nd round WNBA draft choices when their time comes. This is effectively, now, a semi-pro team. The NCAA tournament will be a rocker.

I love Nika but unless she makes it a point to become a better offensive player I can't see her being drafted in the WNBA and knowing what we know about Nika, she probably does not care.

Reaction Score
I love Nika but unless she makes it a point to become a better offensive player I can't see her being drafted in the WNBA and knowing what we know about Nika, she probably does not care.
Understood and I somewhat agee but she still has two years to improve her offense and I'm guessing she will. Anyway, sudden disruptive defense from a sub is a desireable commodity. There are a lot of successful niche players in pro sports and I think two years from now she will be a prospect for the draft.

Reaction Score
Dom is a believer

Thanks for posting this.

I love this quote:

"A team that was thought to be all about Bueckers is now all about everyone. The Huskies are not only playing for one another but willing to sit for one another."

Perfect.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
become a better offensive player
I suspect you mean a better scorer because she already is a very good offensive player. Referring to Nika, Geno said: "“She’s just somebody you want out on the floor, period ...” WNBA? She may not want to take a pay cut considering what she can earn in the European leagues and be close to home. Perhaps some WNBA coach will appreciate her intangibles.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The last piece of the puzzle is Paige becoming a reasonable facsimile of last year’s Paige. She’s got 10 days to the first two rounds in Storrs, but more importantly 17 days to the Sweet 16/Elite 8 weekend when UConn likely needs Paige to be Paige.

If Paige is back, and the Huskies end up in Bridgeport, the prodigal daughter will return to Minnesota with her team, hunting a 12th banner. A deep UConn team will be on a role, and they will be a formidable opponent for whomever they face.

Reaction Score
Villanova was a tale of two very different teams. Feb 9 they shot 29 of 56 and 10 of 22 for 3's. Monday night they shot 16 of 50 and 7 of 23 from 3 point land. It wasn't Villanova playing poorly, it was UConn's defense.

Good story

tcno2fan

Tina Charles No. 2 Fan
Reaction Score
Understood and I somewhat agee but she still has two years to improve her offense and I'm guessing she will. Anyway, sudden disruptive defense from a sub is a desireable commodity. There are a lot of successful niche players in pro sports and I think two years from now she will be a prospect for the draft.
Her peskiness and persistence on defense reminds me of Briann January, who will be retiring this season. Definitely room for her in the W

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boy Geno doesn't pull any punches. No love lost here:

There was this perception early on at one point that without Paige we’re not very good, you know?” Auriemma said. “An ex-coach, [Muffet McGraw] who doesn’t know [much] about anything, said that recently. And I think we proved her wrong.

Nice quote from Evina tho:

To be able to adjust and sacrifice things for your team, especially this team is kind of easy because we all love each other. It’s kind of easy in that aspect,” said UConn senior Evina Westbrook, who embraced her bench role in January. “I think it’s pretty special. And honestly, it’s kind of fun to play like that, when you have whatever five are out there, and then subs are coming in. They can’t relax on who we’ve got coming in because everyone is really dangerous.”

Reaction Score
Boy Geno doesn't pull any punches. No love lost here:

There was this perception early on at one point that without Paige we’re not very good, you know?” Auriemma said. “An ex-coach, [Muffet McGraw] who doesn’t know [much] about anything, said that recently. And I think we proved her wrong.

Nice quote from Evina tho:

To be able to adjust and sacrifice things for your team, especially this team is kind of easy because we all love each other. It’s kind of easy in that aspect,” said UConn senior Evina Westbrook, who embraced her bench role in January. “I think it’s pretty special. And honestly, it’s kind of fun to play like that, when you have whatever five are out there, and then subs are coming in. They can’t relax on who we’ve got coming in because everyone is really dangerous.”
I’m happy that things turned out the way they did. This team deserves an amazing amount of credit. But, as far as perception is concerned, it was Geno himself at the presser after Paige’s injury who said he didn’t trust this team without Paige in the game. Maybe he was trying to justify her being in the game at the end when it had already been decided. Or maybe the resurgence of this team surprised him as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom