Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of all, don't accuse me of ignorance and unwilling to do research when 1) You did not even put a link for the article you quoted. I was the one who found it and 2) I asked you to provide a link for your statement that "The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team." and you have not done so. What does the contract say about G5 schools?

As to your first paragraph, I explained what the article said. I am not making any assumptions beyond that. The article states that when the Big 12 added the four schools, "The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees". There is no explanation in the article for why the conference didn't ask for money, and I have no explanation for it either.

In your second paragraph, you stated "On the second contract, there has not been a single source or even a single random tweeter to claim that anyone aside from the P5 teams don't dilute the pool." However, several posters on this board provided tweets; just scroll above.

Also, as I posted separately, I happened to come across this on the Memphis board:
"Bob Thompson, former Fox Sports CEO, said the Big 12 language is very normal. P5 automatic, G5 negotiated." So that would mean that G5 don't necessarily "dilute the pool". The tweets posted above say that UConn would add the same money as a P5 school. The only way we will know for sure if this is true, is if UConn is added and reporters explain the deal.
It's not even worth engaging. There is a portion of the fanbase that hates any potential move. Say UConn stood to get paid 20 million, till the end of current B12 contract and they went in 2025. Some here will say that is a terrible deal because they like their bus ride rivalries that much.

Reaction Score
First of all, don't accuse me of ignorance and unwilling to do research when 1) You did not even put a link for the article you quoted. I was the one who found it and 2) I asked you to provide a link for your statement that "The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team." and you have not done so. What does the contract say about G5 schools?

As to your first paragraph, I explained what the article said. I am not making any assumptions beyond that. The article states that when the Big 12 added the four schools, "The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees". There is no explanation in the article for why the conference didn't ask for money, and I have no explanation for it either.

In your second paragraph, you stated "On the second contract, there has not been a single source or even a single random tweeter to claim that anyone aside from the P5 teams don't dilute the pool." However, several posters on this board provided tweets; just scroll above.

Also, as I posted separately, I happened to come across this on the Memphis board:
"Bob Thompson, former Fox Sports CEO, said the Big 12 language is very normal. P5 automatic, G5 negotiated." So that would mean that G5 don't necessarily "dilute the pool". The tweets posted above say that UConn would add the same money as a P5 school. The only way we will know for sure if this is true, is if UConn is added and reporters explain the deal.
I didn't accuse you of anything, you specifically stated that you wouldn't research it. But you pointing out the what was written on the Memphis board really changed my mind because man, combined with what was tweeted by the other random guy and that third random guy, all of whom have zero to do with any of this, means for sure UConn is guaranteed to get double pro rata. You are right, thank you for showing me that.

Reaction Score
It's not even worth engaging. There is a portion of the fanbase that hates any potential move. Say UConn stood to get paid 20 million, till the end of current B12 contract and they went in 2025. Some here will say that is a terrible deal because they like their bus ride rivalries that much.
I 1000 % support the move. The amount of good it will do to get the Big 12 exposure and be able to recruit as a P5 is insane. It would drastically help football and most other sports. I am of the camp that basketball would be just fine there. It would help sports in general and also the University. I think it would be best conference that would possibly be a chance because the ACC and Pac12 are unstable, and we all know the BIG and SEC aren't knocking down the door .

I also know that you have to crazy to believe that anyone is writing UConn into their contracts as P5. Apparently for some contingent of people here, every conference and media company consider us providing P5 value and are willing to give up leverage in their contracts to add UConn in, but don't take UConn or pay UConn. I mean football is the driver of those contracts and UConn's football contract is something like $500k or $600k a year. Don't you think anyone would come in and pay maybe even a million or two in order to get a steal in value if they were willing to write in a contract or to pay $40 million a year for them?

Reaction Score
I 1000 % support the move. The amount of good it will do to get the Big 12 exposure and be able to recruit as a P5 is insane. It would drastically help football and most other sports. I am of the camp that basketball would be just fine there. It would help sports in general and also the University. I think it would be best conference that would possibly be a chance because the ACC and Pac12 are unstable, and we all know the BIG and SEC aren't knocking down the door .

I also know that you have to crazy to believe that anyone is writing UConn into their contracts as P5. Apparently for some contingent of people here, every conference and media company consider us providing P5 value and are willing to give up leverage in their contracts to add UConn in, but don't take UConn or pay UConn. I mean football is the driver of those contracts and UConn's football contract is something like $500k or $600k a year. Don't you think anyone would come in and pay maybe even a million or two in order to get a steal in value if they were willing to write in a contract or to pay $40 million a year for them?
No one could argue that the FB value for Rutgers, SU, BC or Pitt would be what currently get from their current conference. Its not excatly how it works. No reasonable person would conclude that the overall athletic department value of an Oregon State or Washinton State is greater than UConn's. What those schools all have in common is that they are currently grandfathered in to the P5 club.

UConn may or may not get pro rata from the networks. It's been speculated that they may. Including by a KSU affiliated person with over 19k followers. To me its not crazy to think that they would pay pro rata for UConn if they would be willing to do so for a Washington State or Oregon State simply because they're already in the club.

Reaction Score
I didn't accuse you of anything, you specifically stated that you wouldn't research it. But you pointing out the what was written on the Memphis board really changed my mind because man, combined with what was tweeted by the other random guy and that third random guy, all of whom have zero to do with any of this, means for sure UConn is guaranteed to get double pro rata. You are right, thank you for showing me that.
I never said that I wasn't going to research anything; I said that I wasn't going to undertake a research project regarding the three media contracts mentioned in that article. You made statements regarding the contracts with no links to anything.

I never said that UConn is guaranteed to get pro-rata. I said we would find out if UConn is added to the Big 12 Conference and the terms are disclosed.

There is no need to adopt a sarcastic attitude. People in this thread, including me, have been civil to you.

Reaction Score
I also know that you have to crazy to believe that anyone is writing UConn into their contracts as P5. Apparently for some contingent of people here, every conference and media company consider us providing P5 value and are willing to give up leverage in their contracts to add UConn in, but don't take UConn or pay UConn.
I would just like to point out that those tweets posted above are not from UConn fans. CowpokeU is an Oklahoma State fan. Tim Fitzgerald covers Kansas State.

Reaction Score
A couple of other factors. UConn is in some ways not like other G5 schools. UConn was a BCS school for 9 years. We are now in the Big East for basketball, which some people call a P6 for basketball only. Also, does ESPN want us as one of their properties? They had us in the past, but lost us when we left the AAC. At that time, they wanted us, particularly the womens basketball fans, for ESPN Plus.

Reaction Score
Yeah wise guy, and I wish UConn had a stadium built like the Yale Bowl, built almost entirely of concrete in 1914, it still stands today and has 60,000 seats, and has very little rust. It’s been home to Yale and to some NFL teams as well. Its design also inspired the designs for the Rose Bowl, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, and Michigan’s Stadium. It only needed minor renovations after 100 years in 2006. I don’t think the Roman Coliseum has any rust either. Lol
Having sat in seats at the 50 yard line on New Year’s Day for the Rose Bowl,I’m amazed you would compare it to the Rent. I’m only 6’ tall and I had to sit sidewise in my seat. I wont go into the other substandard aspects [by todays standards] of the Rose Bowl , yes concrete might have been better for the Rent but we have a climate that is harsher on concrete.

Reaction Score
Having sat in seats at the 50 yard line on New Year’s Day for the Rose Bowl,I’m amazed you would compare it to the Rent. I’m only 6’ tall and I had to sit sidewise in my seat. I wont go into the other substandard aspects [by todays standards] of the Rose Bowl , yes concrete might have been better for the Rent but we have a climate that is harsher on concrete.
Lol, and Yale Bowl which has stood for 100 years doesn’t have a harsher climate and is only 40 miles away? Please don’t tell me you have a degree in engineering or meteorology. :eek:

Reaction Score
I would just like to point out that those tweets posted above are not from UConn fans. CowpokeU is an Oklahoma State fan. Tim Fitzgerald covers Kansas State.
I do not see the tweets u r referring to.

Reaction Score
So, what is reported in those tweets is that FOX and ESPN will allow UConn (and SDSU) to join the B12 and will pay pro rata to the B12 for the added inventory when that happens. That puts an end to the accretion discussion.

Now FOX is part of the B1G media agreement but ESPN is not. I am wondering if CBS and NBC would extend the same privilege? If informally agreed to, that would explain the B1G interest in UConn, about which we have heard very little to date, only that there has been some communication.

It is looking more and more like the last week of June could be interesting.

Reaction Score
So, what is reported in those tweets is that FOX and ESPN will allow UConn (and SDSU) to join the B12 and will pay pro rata to the B12 for the added inventory when that happens. That puts an end to the accretion discussion.

Now FOX is part of the B1G media agreement but ESPN is not. I am wondering if CBS and NBC would extend the same privilege? If informally agreed to, that would explain the B1G interest in UConn, about which we have heard very little to date, only that there has been some communication.

It is looking more and more like the last week of June could be interesting.
Wishful thinking among UConn fans for B1G membership is often expressed in the Boneyard, but B1G interest in UConn? Can you back up that assertion with some legitimate sources?

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anybody post about b10. I would be surprised only in that they got what they wanted with rutty and we wouldn't deliver them anything new.

Would like to be surprised. I think the b10s size will ultimately be an issue and they'll look to get rid of a uconn sooner than adding one.

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking among UConn fans for B1G membership is often expressed in the Boneyard, but B1G interest in UConn? Can you back up that assertion with some legitimate sources?
Multiple posters here have said that a second conference is talking to UConn based on reliable sources. Two of us have heard from very good sources that the second conference is not the ACC. That is all I can tell you

Reaction Score
I am one that would prefer to Big 10 to any other conference, but the only way UConn gets into the B1G is if somehow the SEC starts creeping up into NJ and NY. They'll take UConn strong hold NYC market.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am one that would prefer to Big 10 to any other conference, but the only way UConn gets into the B1G is if somehow the SEC starts creeping up into NJ and NY. They'll take UConn strong hold NYC market.
I think pretty much everyone on here prefers the B1G. Most money and most prestige. But...the question is who on here actually think that's a possibility?

I would guess...very few.

Reaction Score
I think pretty much everyone on here prefers the B1G. Most money and most prestige. But...the question is who on here actually think that's a possibility?

I would guess...very few.
Possibility? Yes. Greater than 50% probability? Not yet. But we are getting the sense there has been some kind of sea change. People are suggesting that the accretion discussion is now off the table. That is huge. So nothing would surprise me. Speaking of which, it is probably time to go down and maintain an even strain. Oban or Talisker? ;)

Reaction Score
Multiple posters here have said that a second conference is talking to UConn based on reliable sources. Two of us have heard from very good sources that the second conference is not the ACC. That is all I can tell you
If that second conference isn't the ACC, then it's probably the MAC. I know that's not what you or those other two posters would want to hear, hope for, or like to believe, but let's be realistic. Nobody in the B1G is talking about adding UConn.

Reaction Score
If that second conference isn't the ACC, then it's probably the MAC. I know that's not what you or those other two posters would want to hear, hope for, or like to believe, but let's be realistic. Nobody in the B1G is talking about adding UConn.
And why would UConn talk to the MAC? Football only? because that option always existed did it not? And the MAC always made it clear they were not interested. Plus, would that kind of arrangement be accretive from UConn's point of view?

Reaction Score
And why would UConn talk to the MAC? Football only? because that option always existed did it not? And the MAC always made it clear they were not interested. Plus, would that kind of arrangement be accretive from UConn's point of view?
I think it's safe to assume that any move to a power conference for all sports would be beneficial for UConn. But the determining factor isn't what's accretive to UConn; it's whether adding UConn would be accretive to another conference. UConn obviously checks all the boxes for basketball, but as regards football, it lacks historic relevance and hasn't made the kinds of investments that a power conference might construe as a sign of commitment.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
I think it's safe to assume that any move to a power conference for all sports would be beneficial for UConn. But the determining factor isn't what's accretive to UConn; it's whether adding UConn would be accretive to another conference. UConn obviously checks all the boxes for basketball, but as regards football, it lacks historic relevance and hasn't made the kinds of investments that a power conference might construe as a sign of commitment.
The accretion discussion appears to be off the table as it regards the B12 since the media companies are reported to be ready to pay per rata for the added inventory. And while it is possible to argue the investment profile as you have done, there are constraints on all investments and they are called revenue. In fact, the investments made to date have be quite impressive considering revenue has been negative. I do not have a wide enough view of the CFB world to be able to say that the UConn facilities are above other G5 programs, but that seems to be the the prevailing view here. So we are left with doing the 20 year refurbishment of the Rent which will get done, and then expanding the Rent to B12 standards on a schedule that makes sense commensurate with the rate of increase in attendance. Is there a problem with that plan? I think that reasonable people would say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom