Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's the facility, it's just cultural. I don't know how else to explain it.

By way of example, KU football has been largely bad, with occasional bright spots. But Lawrence High is good, and gets big crowds Friday night. Even with an aging stadium and often poor team, students show up Saturday morning, there are loads of student rented houses and apartments next to the stadium, most of them with parties, pig roasts and the like before the game. Fraternities are doing similar things. Alumni drive and tailgate. It's a thing, and it's a bigger thing when the game is big and you have visiting student fans. Nebraska, OU, UT, Mizzou all gone, but K-State will bring a load of people there.

Alumni are more likely to feel connected to the football program if they walked to games and were part of the experience as students. We know that from how it works for our basketball program. I just think there is some level of doubt that we can build a football culture with the Rent. It's not fatal.
It would be best no doubt. Works that way for the FCS and lower divisions too. Loved going to Pittsburg KS, William and Mary, Lehigh and Lafayette... Coast Guard with their stadium overlooking the Thames River...

Reaction Score
Noticed you didn't object to being labeled a UConn hater.
Nox, I think we may be confusing him with Hartford Hank, who is either a Cuse or BC fan. Makes sense if is here for CR as a CU fan

Reaction Score
Nox, I think we may be confusing him with Hartford Hank, who is either a Cuse or BC fan. Makes sense if is here for CR as a CU fan
Ah okay. I knew it was a Hank. If so apologies to @hank970 . Some of us are tired of hearing UConn is not worthy of inclusion.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's the facility, it's just cultural. I don't know how else to explain it.

By way of example, KU football has been largely bad, with occasional bright spots. But Lawrence High is good, and gets big crowds Friday night. Even with an aging stadium and often poor team, students show up Saturday morning, there are loads of student rented houses and apartments next to the stadium, most of them with parties, pig roasts and the like before the game. Fraternities are doing similar things. Alumni drive and tailgate. It's a thing, and it's a bigger thing when the game is big and you have visiting student fans. Nebraska, OU, UT, Mizzou all gone, but K-State will bring a load of people there.

Alumni are more likely to feel connected to the football program if they walked to games and were part of the experience as students. We know that from how it works for our basketball program. I just think there is some level of doubt that we can build a football culture with the Rent. It's not fatal.
Not fatal? You try selling recruits on a stadium two hours from campus and in dire need of $100 million in repairs. If Mora had an on campus stadium we’d of been in a P5 last year.

Reaction Score
Not fatal? You try selling recruits on a stadium two hours from campus and in dire need of $100 million in repairs. If Mora had an on campus stadium we’d of been in a P5 last year.
Two hours...lol. Drove home from the CIAC Class LL Softball Championship game on Saturday night. Made it from the parking garage next to the football complex to East Hartford & passed by the RENT in 20 minutes. Drove from Campus , Route 44, I-284 to I-84. You just don't seem to want UConn Football to succeed.

Reaction Score
2 hours? You could enter through 95 from NY and be out to Mass in less than 2 hours.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Exaggerate much? During the first half dozen years the Rent was open I would leave Stamford with my son, drive into Westchester to pick up a couple of his buddies and then head to the Rent. It never took two hours to make that trip. There isn't a whole lot of Connecticut (basically, just Greenwich) where you can be further from the Rent yet still be in the state than the part of Stamford I live in and it's never taken an hour and a half to make the direct trip.

The location of the stadium is well below a laundry list of items working against us. If this is potentially the only thing keeping us from a P-5 conference we have little to worry about.

Reaction Score

2 hours, lol. It’s 125 miles to the NYC border. If my wife is driving thats slightly over 2 hours. Gotta get that ice cream back asap.

Reaction Score
Two hours...lol. Drove home from the CIAC Class LL Softball Championship game on Saturday night. Made it from the parking garage next to the football complex to East Hartford & passed by the RENT in 20 minutes. Drove from Campus , Route 44, I-284 to I-84. You just don't seem to want UConn Football to succeed.
How fast were you going? Like 80mph? Normal drive time is at least 30 minutes, and 45 minutes to an hour on weekends when trucks and everyone else is out and traffic is heavy.

Reaction Score
How fast were you going? Like 80mph? Normal drive time is at least 30 minutes, and 45 minutes to an hour on weekends when trucks and everyone else is out and traffic is heavy.
It's an easy 20 minute ride from campus to the rent. Traffic on those roads is not an issue.
P.S. The fact that the stadium is not on campus is a non-issue, except to you. Conference realignment is about tv exposure and to a lesser extent, fan support. It's much easier for fans to get to East Hartford than to Storrs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's an easy 20 minute ride from campus to the rent. Traffic on those roads is not an issue.
Assuming that is correct, then wouldn't it also be an easy 20 minute ride to get from East Hartford to an on-campus stadium? Doesn't that undercut the whole east Hartford is more convenient for fans rather than driving on campus six times a year?
P.S. The fact that the stadium is not on campus is a non-issue, except to you. Conference realignment is about tv exposure and to a lesser extent, fan support. It's much easier for fans to get to East Hartford than to Storrs.
Exactly! He is the only person who has ever talked about this issue! Well, just him and the numerous commentators who talk about it as being a reason why Connecticut is unattractive as a P5 candidate. By the way, the Trammel article talks about an existing big 12 A.D. indicating that not having an on campus stadium shows that Connecticut isn't committed to football. So actually, it seems like it's an issue for a lot of people.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enough is enough already. University of Miami plays 24 miles from campus. UCLA plays 26 miles and even Temple plays 8 miles away from campus. It's not where the stadium is it's how well they play.
Yeah, and pretty much everyone else plays on campus. Are you seeing a pattern there?

Reaction Score
Yeah, and pretty much everyone else plays on campus. Are you seeing a pattern there?
Yeah that it would be nice but I'm a native Nutmegger and understand the NIMBY's and legislature and I'm certain that we both know that an on-campus stadium is not happening in our lifetime.

Reaction Score
Maybe you took a helicopter? Normal traffic is 30 minutes or a few more. I’ve driven to Gampel many times for weekend games and night games during the week. Shortest I ever did on that stretch was about 30 min even, longest was 65 minutes.

IMG_8151.jpeg

Reaction Score
Enough is enough already. University of Miami plays 24 miles from campus. UCLA plays 26 miles and even Temple plays 8 miles away from campus. It's not where the stadium is it's how well they play.
Pointing out the 3 outliers in a 131 team division isn’t really a strong argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom