Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Prove it. They literally just took a per school payout cut to add BYU, which completely disproves your point. Even with the BIG 10 rule, it was only Notre Dame and that counted as games under the rule and they gave exceptions to other teams like us and Cinci because we had so many games scheduled. Even with that, the Big 12 took a per team contract haircut to add BYU.
Isn't the new contract the Big 12 signed, that will not include OU and Tex, paying more per school?

Reaction Score
That is some myth that was brought about because ten years ago the Big 10 supposedly agreed to consider UConn a P5 opponent for a season. It was never confirmed and has zero to do with a TV contract in a completely different league. The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team. In fact, the current teams who just joined caused the other teams some money and won't get the same payout for years simply because of that reason. Do you actually believe that BYU is not considered P5, but for some odd reason UConn is?
There have been multiple tweets that UConn would get pro-rata. Here is one of them:

Reaction Score
Not that i have to prove anything, but the tweet i saw was from a news source. Too hard to find now

That tweet is not from a news source. I think you are confused about what twitter is. Its some guy who tweet a lot and has a very small following.

Reaction Score
Isn't the new contract the Big 12 signed, that will not include OU and Tex, paying more per school?
Here are the details quoted from an actual news source:

"Each of the eight legacy Big 12 schools agreed to forego $16 million total ($8 million annually in 2023-24 and 2024-25), approximately 19% of their $42.6 million annual distributions, sources said. Each of the four new Big 12 members are set to receive $18 million to $19 million annually, approximately 40% of the original annual distribution."

"The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees."

Reaction Score

"Each of the eight legacy Big 12 schools agreed to forego $16 million total ($8 million annually in 2023-24 and 2024-25), approximately 19% of their $42.6 million annual distributions, sources said. Each of the four new Big 12 members are set to receive $18 million to $19 million annually, approximately 40% of the original annual distribution."

"The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees."
According to that story, the conference didn't ask Fox and ESPN for pro-rata for the added schools. It says "knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members". Seems strange that the conference wouldn't ask. In any case, maybe they DID ask this time and that is why the stories have come out that Fox and ESPN will pay pro-rata.

Reaction Score

What was that news source?

Reaction Score
That tweet is not from a news source. I think you are confused about what twitter is. Its some guy who tweet a lot and has a very small following.
The guy from K-STATE has 19k followers. We will find out soon enough. Benedicts comment lead me to believe he knows what networks are willing to pay for UConn in a P5.

Reaction Score

If I recall correctly this was for this year only .. under the old contract because the conference is a 14 team league this year with the new arrivals and Texas & OU. The new contract that starts next season is actually for more money per team per year.

Reaction Score
The discussion about money, TV money, exit fee etc... are being handled by the people responsible. No doubt it's being looked at at every angle. As a BB fan , most probable would like to stay in the BE. As a UConn athletic fan, football fan, why would anybody want to stay independent instead as p5 member? UConn finally has a great football coach in Jim Mora. If one listened to HC Mora since he came to UConn, one would know Coach Mora came to UConn to stay and to win ( among other things). He is not going anywhere. UConn football recruitment will be better as a p5 member. If and when a b12 invite materializes, UConn will accept if the football program is to stay relevant. A b12 invite will arrive sooner than expected according to twitter rumors.

Reaction Score
He’s here until he’s not. Money for him at the moment isn’t a top priority but if he has continued and increased success then you need to pay him out of respect. If not, he will go somewhere that shows more respect.
Especially as HC and DC. The DC monies maybe being spread around the program?

Reaction Score
He’s here until he’s not. Money for him at the moment isn’t a top priority but if he has continued and increased success then you need to pay him out of respect. If not, he will go somewhere that shows more respect.
100%. Mora knows he could get paid more at some other school right now. There are intrinsic factors that motivate him such as building a legacy for himself and UConn Football. But if and when UConn wins between 7-9 games every year, or at least for the next 2-3 years, UConn AD has to make it known to him that they are willing to increase his pay and that they appreciate his contributions. UConn isn't going to win a bidding war, at least not now they are not, to retain Mora. As long as they show they are making good faith efforts for him to increase his pay for him as well as the rest of the staff and they are investing in and committed to football, I think that will keep Mora at UConn, at least I hope it does.

Reaction Score
There have been multiple tweets that UConn would get pro-rata. Here is one of them:

The Big 12 commish didn’t come to Storrs with idea of making a tactical invite, meaning adding a school to increase next years distribution. He came to Storrs with the idea of a strategic invite for Uconn. Adding Uconn is an investment for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
According to that story, the conference didn't ask Fox and ESPN for pro-rata for the added schools. It says "knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members". Seems strange that the conference wouldn't ask. In any case, maybe they DID ask this time and that is why the stories have come out that Fox and ESPN will pay pro-rata.
Why would they agree to do that? The BIG 12 certainly wasn't going to bat and giving up leverage to put that in the contract and ESPN and FOX weren't sitting there pushing to pay more money for another school. It doesn't even make sense and there are no valid people saying anything of the sort.

Reaction Score
The guy from K-STATE has 19k followers. We will find out soon enough. Benedicts comment lead me to believe he knows what networks are willing to pay for UConn in a P5.
The guy who tweeted has 280 followers and here tweeted a guy with 2,700 followers. Not that the amount of followers tell much, but those guys are not in the know. And the guy with 19,000 followers completely blows up the whole argument. He says there are strong indications they would accept. That means that its not in the contract and that's the entire point.

Reaction Score
Why would they agree to do that? The BIG 12 certainly wasn't going to bat and giving up leverage to put that in the contract and ESPN and FOX weren't sitting there pushing to pay more money for another school. It doesn't even make sense and there are no valid people saying anything of the sort.
I found the article that you quoted from:

That article does not say one way or another that the media contract under which Cincy, BYU, UCF and Houston entered the Big 12 does not give G5 schools pro rata. (In fact, the prior media contract DID give G5 schools pro rata). It says that the Big 12 didn't ask for a pro rata share.
"The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees".

Note: I am not going to undertake a research project to find the details of the Big 12 media contract for those years. I am going by what the article says.

The article DOES say that the prior media deal gave pro-rata for both P5 and G5 schools. "In 2016, the Big 12 considered exercising a clause in an old contract that would have compelled rightsholders to pay equal value for any expansion. The Big 12 ultimately decided not to expand at that time."

In an earlier post, you said "The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team." I assume you are talking about the media contract that UConn would enter the Big 12 under, if invited. Do you have a link for this; I do not want to undertake a research project.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I found the article that you quoted from:

That article does not say one way or another that the media contract under which Cincy, BYU, UCF and Houston entered the Big 12 does not give G5 schools pro rata. (In fact, the prior media contract DID give G5 schools pro rata). It says that the Big 12 didn't ask for a pro rata share.
"The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees".

Note: I am not going to undertake a research project to find the details of the Big 12 media contract for those years. I am going by what the article says.

The article DOES say that the prior media deal gave pro-rata for both P5 and G5 schools. "In 2016, the Big 12 considered exercising a clause in an old contract that would have compelled rightsholders to pay equal value for any expansion. The Big 12 ultimately decided not to expand at that time."

In an earlier post, you said "The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team." I assume you are talking about the media contract that UConn would enter the Big 12 under, if invited. Do you have a link for this; I do not want to undertake a research project.
If you actually think that ESPN and FOX would agree to a contract previously, that as you state that they would give equal shares for G5 schools, while at the time paying them 10% of that in the contracts they had with them, I can't help you. In addition, the idea that the Big 12 schools just didn't feel like exercising a contractual obligation and lost $16 million each is very novel. If ESPN and FOX would likely not pay equal value, then it was 100% not in that contract, so we can put that to bed.

On the second contract, there has not been a single source or even a single random tweeter to claim that anyone aside from the P5 teams don't dilute the pool. According to the contract in fact, even P5 teams dilute the pool. To be very clear, FOX did not agree to that clause, so it only applies to ESPN's payout of 20 million a year. The other 37% of the contract that FOX owns, definitively contains zero pro rata clause, even for P5 teams. Every single statement about that, which most have come from unreliable people, has claimed that once again, it's likely at best, and there haven't been many of those. That means that it's not in the contract because if it was, it would not be likely, but rather a sure thing.

All this stuff is very public and repeated from very reliable news outlets. It does not take any effort to find it. If you want to form an argument based on your ignorance of the contract and your unwillingness to research it, then there isn't much validity in anything you are saying. Imagine saying to someone that you think something very strongly when you willingly admit you haven't and won't do a thing to understand that topic. That is what you have done and it makes as little sense as the Big 12 just giving up 16 million a school because they don't want to ask for something they have a contract for.

Reaction Score
Not quite. it was reported currently there are select G5s the Big12 TV partners will pay pro rata for. It probably has to do with our BB success and "TV power". They mentioned UConn specifically, don't know who the others are.
Prove it. They literally just took a per school payout cut to add BYU, which completely disproves your point. Even with the BIG 10 rule, it was only Notre Dame and that counted as games under the rule and they gave exceptions to other teams like us and Cinci because we had so many games scheduled. Even with that, the Big 12 took a per team contract haircut to add BYU.

I happened to come across this on the Memphis board:

"Bob Thompson, former Fox Sports CEO, said the Big 12 language is very normal. P5 automatic, G5 negotiated."

That corresponds with what noeynox said.

Reaction Score
Water has found a pathway thanks to gravity over the years and has caused a lot of rust damage. It’s plainly evident. Not sure if the rust is coming from concrete rebar or structural steel.
Season ticket holders beware! There is rust!!! God forbid should we have another game vs Yale in the 109 year old bowl. I would be there with out a worry and enjoy the game on the field. Not out to critique the hosts furniture. If it were a safety issue that's another topic.

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

Reaction Score
If you actually think that ESPN and FOX would agree to a contract previously, that as you state that they would give equal shares for G5 schools, while at the time paying them 10% of that in the contracts they had with them, I can't help you. In addition, the idea that the Big 12 schools just didn't feel like exercising a contractual obligation and lost $16 million each is very novel. If ESPN and FOX would likely not pay equal value, then it was 100% not in that contract, so we can put that to bed.

On the second contract, there has not been a single source or even a single random tweeter to claim that anyone aside from the P5 teams don't dilute the pool. According to the contract in fact, even P5 teams dilute the pool. To be very clear, FOX did not agree to that clause, so it only applies to ESPN's payout of 20 million a year. The other 37% of the contract that FOX owns, definitively contains zero pro rata clause, even for P5 teams. Every single statement about that, which most have come from unreliable people, has claimed that once again, it's likely at best, and there haven't been many of those. That means that it's not in the contract because if it was, it would not be likely, but rather a sure thing.

All this stuff is very public and repeated from very reliable news outlets. It does not take any effort to find it. If you want to form an argument based on your ignorance of the contract and your unwillingness to research it, then there isn't much validity in anything you are saying. Imagine saying to someone that you think something very strongly when you willingly admit you haven't and won't do a thing to understand that topic. That is what you have done and it makes as little sense as the Big 12 just giving up 16 million a school because they don't want to ask for something they have a contract for.
First of all, don't accuse me of ignorance and unwilling to do research when 1) You did not even put a link for the article you quoted. I was the one who found it and 2) I asked you to provide a link for your statement that "The Big 12 contract specifically states P5 will get the same additional money per team." and you have not done so. What does the contract say about G5 schools?

As to your first paragraph, I explained what the article said. I am not making any assumptions beyond that. The article states that when the Big 12 added the four schools, "The legacy Big 12 programs shared money from their current distributions knowing Fox and ESPN likely wouldn't pay equal value for the four new members. Those schools didn't bring pro rata (equal) value to the existing deal. League sources said the conference did not ask its partners for increased rights fees". There is no explanation in the article for why the conference didn't ask for money, and I have no explanation for it either.

In your second paragraph, you stated "On the second contract, there has not been a single source or even a single random tweeter to claim that anyone aside from the P5 teams don't dilute the pool." However, several posters on this board provided tweets; just scroll above.

Also, as I posted separately, I happened to come across this on the Memphis board:
"Bob Thompson, former Fox Sports CEO, said the Big 12 language is very normal. P5 automatic, G5 negotiated." So that would mean that G5 don't necessarily "dilute the pool". The tweets posted above say that UConn would add the same money as a P5 school. The only way we will know for sure if this is true, is if UConn is added and reporters explain the deal.

Reaction Score
Season ticket holders beware! There is rust!!! God forbid should we have another game vs Yale in the 109 year old bowl. I would be there with out a worry and enjoy the game on the field. Not out to critique the hosts furniture. If it were a safety issue that's another topic.

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic
Yeah wise guy, and I wish UConn had a stadium built like the Yale Bowl, built almost entirely of concrete in 1914, it still stands today and has 60,000 seats, and has very little rust. It’s been home to Yale and to some NFL teams as well. Its design also inspired the designs for the Rose Bowl, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, and Michigan’s Stadium. It only needed minor renovations after 100 years in 2006. I don’t think the Roman Coliseum has any rust either. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom