Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Broadcast contracts aren't based on championships. If they were, Rutgers would be in the MAC right now.
I understand but, as a UConn fan, I'm highlighting why UConn could add value to their league if contract values are tied to ratings.

The B1G was my primary focus because they currently have the biggest contract but will that continue if every year they get the crap beat out of them in the "big games" of bowl season or get eight teams into the MBB tournament and win six games?

Two football championships and one each in MBB and WBB in 25 years doesn't equate to continued long term big contracts if no one watches. (see chart below) If that continues their market value has to take a major hit so they need UConn to make them relevant in MBB and WBB while JM builds the roster and makes UConn football great again.:rolleyes:

Imagine the tag line at the start of broadcasts: "You're watching the B1G, winning championships across the nation, from New England to Southern California".

March Madness men's records by conference​

The Big East finished with the best record among all conferences with 12 wins and a 75 percent winning percentage. Check out the complete records below.

ConferenceRecordWin PCT%
ACC7-5.583
American2-2.500
Big 129-7.563
Big East12-4.750
Big Ten6-8.429
Mountain West5-4.555
Pac-123-4.423
SEC9-8.529
West Coast4-2.666

All conferences with more than one team are listed above. First Four games are included.

Reaction Score
I understand but, as a UConn fan, I'm highlighting why UConn could add value to their league if contract values are tied to ratings.

The B1G was my primary focus because they currently have the biggest contract but will that continue if every year they get the crap beat out of them in the "big games" of bowl season or get eight teams into the MBB tournament and win six games?

Two football championships and one each in MBB and WBB in 25 years doesn't equate to continued long term big contracts if no one watches. (see chart below) If that continues their market value has to take a major hit so they need UConn to make them relevant in MBB and WBB while JM builds the roster and makes UConn football great again.:rolleyes:

Imagine the tag line at the start of broadcasts: "You're watching the B1G, winning championships across the nation, from New England to Southern California".

March Madness men's records by conference​

The Big East finished with the best record among all conferences with 12 wins and a 75 percent winning percentage. Check out the complete records below.

ConferenceRecordWin PCT%
ACC7-5.583
American2-2.500
Big 129-7.563
Big East12-4.750
Big Ten6-8.429
Mountain West5-4.555
Pac-123-4.423
SEC9-8.529
West Coast4-2.666

All conferences with more than one team are listed above. First Four games are included.
This is a touch deceiving since UConn won the national championship. The Huskies accounted for 6 wins and zero losses. The league record of the team who wins it all is always going to be pretty good. Even if you get 5 teams in and everyone else loses their first round game you finish at .600.

But marketing, market share and simply size of the schools is a factor. Michigan has an undergraduate enrollment of over 30,000. Ohio State is near 50,000. The others are similar. In other parts of the country the state university is seen as the first option for college, not the backup after the Ivies, little Ivies, BC BU the Catholic colleges and so forth. There is a much different relationship with the state universities than here.

Reaction Score
I for one would be thrilled to get a B12 invite:

First, the $$$$. I believe that the B12 media rights deal will be delivering $32M per team (before UConn joining if that happens?) when the new contract begins (2025-26 season).

Second, like it or not college athletics is all about football. We aren't going to have Jim Mora forever, let's see what he can accomplish with P5 status.

Third, great basketball straight away. Let's hope we can schedule as many of our BE competitors as we can in non-league play.

Fourth, major upgrade for baseball and softball. I am sure for other of our programs too?

Fifth, the move should help with alumni contributions / NIL.

Finally, obviously I have no idea what (if anything) will happen should the P5 members decide to break away from the NCAA or force some P5 only football championship but whatever might happen, if UConn is in the P5 at the time it happens I would feel a lot better about it than being shut out as an Independent which would almost assuredly be the case.

Reaction Score
Judging from the comments here, it might make everybody happy if UConn were to garner a Big 12 invitation and then decline the offer. Football fans could boast that the school was attractive enough to warrant an invitation, and basketball diehards would swoon over the prospect of the school staying in the Big East. Win, win.

In addition, the Big 12 could quickly find another candidate for expansion. And so, win, win, win.

Reaction Score
Judging from the comments here, it might make everybody happy if UConn were to garner a Big 12 invitation and then decline the offer. Football fans could boast that the school was attractive enough to warrant an invitation, and basketball diehards would swoon over the prospect of the school staying in the Big East. Win, win.

In addition, the Big 12 could quickly find another candidate for expansion. And so, win, win, win.
Thumbs Down GIF by MacKenzie Bourg

Reaction Score

UConn would become the complete laughing stock. If leaving the AAC was giving up on football, as some people claim, declining a P5 offer would be running it through the shredder and flushing it down the toilet. No recovery from that one.

Reaction Score

Are you familiar with the sports phrase "spitting the bit"?

Reaction Score
UConn would become the complete laughing stock. If leaving the AAC was giving up on football, as some people claim, declining a P5 offer would be running it through the shredder and flushing it down the toilet. No recovery from that one.
For sure. You think WVU wanted to go to the Big 12? They would’ve much preferred the ACC but that wasn’t an option at the time. Big 12 is currently the best BB conference. UConn would look pretty weak declining if offered as in can’t compete with good competition.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
For sure. You think WVU wanted to go to the Big 12? They would’ve much preferred the ACC but that wasn’t an option at the time. Big 12 is currently the best BB conference. UConn would look pretty weak declining if offered as in can’t compete with good competition.
With Texas and Oklahoma leaving to go to the SEC, I don’t know if you can rely on Houston to make that claim. They are closer to the field than in recent years.

Reaction Score
With Texas and Oklahoma leaving to go to the SEC, I don’t know if you can rely on Houston to make that claim. They are closer to the field than in recent years.

Cincy is also a solid basketball program with a great history and if the B12 were to add UCONN and San Diego State they would have more than made up for the basketball loss of Oklahoma and Texas.

It will be an outstanding basketball conference, we just need a seat at the table.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Cincy is also a solid basketball program with a great history and if the B12 were to add UCONN and San Diego State they would have more than made up for the basketball loss of Oklahoma and Texas.

It will be an outstanding basketball conference, we just need a seat at the table.
Something else to consider: for all those worried about recruiting the NE, all these schools together with UConn might make the Big 12 competitive in the NE in a way Cuse and BCU just doesn’t

Reaction Score

That WOULD be the way the New Bis East fans would see it all right. UConn fans, though, would want to be in the Big 12

Reaction Score

Yes I'd feel much better if UConn were to pretend we didn't need the money or the exposure and to have our future limited by staying in the Big East.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If UConn is put up for a vote, I am curious what the yes / no votes would look like.

We seemed to get along with WVU so maybe they are a yes? We have played UH in multiple sports since leaving the AAC so maybe them, too. I doubt Texas Tech and Oklahoma State vote us in. Baylor perhaps?

My guess is we fall a few votes short if we are put up for a vote, but getting into the Big 12 isn't a pipe dream and would be really good for our athletic department.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if the ACC would make a preemptive offer to us? It seems like it would be the smart play. If I recall correctly their ESPN deal has an auto bump up for new members. If the choice is full share a cc or partial share big 12 which way do we go?

Probably Big 12, but it would be tempting to think about the ACC. I'd rather play those teams if everything was equal.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the ACC would make a preemptive offer to us? It seems like it would be the smart play. If I recall correctly their ESPN deal has an auto bump up for new members. If the choice is full share a cc or partial share big 12 which way do we go?

Probably Big 12, but it would be tempting to think about the ACC. I'd rather play those teams if everything was equal.
That’s where my mind is.

In my dream scenario, we have an athletic program that produces enough money to support championship runs in non-football and competes well in whatever the next level down is in football. I’m not sure what that looks like. I’d be very happy if it was a mix of some big east brands and the castoffs from the current acc. I think the university as a whole flourishes if that happens. Just a pipe dream though unless this is the time the ACC runts realize the time is now to control their destiny and agree with their big boys that it is time to dissolve their league.

Reaction Score

The ACC is our “natural” home in my opinion. We are similar to those schools in lots of ways, more so than the B12 and certainly more than the NEWBIE. But if the Big 12 offered, we would absolutely have to go .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC is our “natural” home in my opinion. We are similar to those schools in lots of ways, more so than the B12 and certainly more than the NEWBIE. But if the Big 12 offered, we would absolutely have to go .
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline