Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most of the seats would come from another deck on the UConn side of the field.
Yep..... knew I had it somewhere.....

Attachments

• Rentschler-EXP renderings 3A.jpg
    Rentschler-EXP renderings 3A.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 141
Reaction Score
how about an architect's sketch of an on-campus stadium
Unless Mansfield got a change of hart, the NIMBYs will never allow it. They didn't want it 20+ years ago, you think they want the traffic now? The state would have to build a GAME DAY HIGHWAY for traffic to and from UConn and you think if we couldn't get Route 6 fixed.

Reaction Score
Unless Mansfield got a change of hart, the NIMBYs will never allow it. They didn't want it 20+ years ago, you think they want the traffic now? The state would have to build a GAME DAY HIGHWAY for traffic to and from UConn and you think if we couldn't get Route 6 fixed.
The Mansfield folks didn't want downtown Storrs and look how they are running over there. Use Route 44 not 195 for the traffic,

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The Mansfield folks didn't want downtown Storrs and look how they are running over there. Use Route 44 not 195 for the traffic,
No one is running over there. That is why the shops and restaurants have closed and spaces are vacant.

Reaction Score
Story is behind a paywall, but summary is:

Seven returning University of Houston assistant football coaches received salary increases for the 2023 season.
UH will pay its 10 on-field assistants an all-time high $3.525 million, according to copies of contracts obtained by the Houston Chronicle through an open records request. That represents a 15 percent increase from the $3.05 million paid in 2022.
With the move to the Big 12 that becomes official July 1, UH increased its assistant coaching salary pool from $5.5 million to $6.5 million for this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one is running over there. That is why the shops and restaurants have closed and spaces are vacant.
The places closed because rent was too high. One of the tenants told me that. Check out who is there over the summer, lots of Mansfield residents. I look forward to a new on-campus stadium -- and if we are allowed into B12 or ACC the new conference will expect to see it too,

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If this was done, you might as well as add a few rows to each endzone also.

Kinda. You add another 5k-10k along the right side above the student section and maybe fill in the corners of either side of the tower. I'd leave the left side which faces west/northwest and has views of downtown Hartford open.

You could even convince me to add 12k to the side opposite the tower and about 3k above the student section which preserves better views to the east/southeast and gives some views of the rolling east of the stadium.

I love the idea of keeping the left side open for bars, bar top seating and SRO.

55k is a great size for the stadium.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very seldom post on his topic. However I have a few observations on the potential Big 12 move.

1. There has been constant carping on this board that UConn needs and deserves a seat at the P5 table.
2. There is an attraction to the ACC. Natural fit for us. We have been rejected by the ACC for Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville.
3. Rumblings inside the ACC are getting loud. Universities are unhappy.
4. The move to the new Big East was the right move at the time. The AAC was a dumping ground we got caught in.
5. We seem to have "fixed" our coaching problems in football and fixed the Ollie disaster with Hurley.
6. UConn athletic budget is deep in the negative.

Our AD has done a superior job guiding the athletic program. Perfect - no. Nobody is. He has taken the steps needed to move the program forward. I think he will guide us in the right direction. In addition, I think our new president is one tough, sharp administrator. The two seem to make a formidable team.

The Big 12 visit was no fluke. There is serious interest in UConn. A significant presence in the northeast would be a major move for the Big 12. UConn is a major brand name.

So as much as I love that we returned to the Big East, if the offer comes to join the B12, we take it.

I don't see the B10 offering us any time soon and the ACC can go pound sand for the way the have treated us. And our former mates from the old BE - BC, Cuse, Pitt, Miami, Louisville will continue to move to the irrelevant side.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The places closed because rent was too high. One of the tenants told me that. Check out who is there over the summer, lots of Mansfield residents. I look forward to a new on-campus stadium -- and if we are allowed into B12 or ACC the new conference will expect to see it too,
Except the lots of Mansfield residents don't make any of those businesses profitable. Not enough people are spending their money there. I know former tenants who had adjustments for the summer and still couldn't make it work.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The B12 strategy is clear. Add Colorado and UConn now to stake their flag both for West Coast and East Coast future expansion. Lock in Colorado and UConn now. But the eventual plans is to also add 3 more West Coast teams (3 of the Pac12 stragglers) and 3 more East Coast teams (3 of Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, Georgia Tech, etc).

To ease the worries of the Basketball Only fans that don't want to leave the Big East, think of having this set of teams as the Top 8 in a conference:

UConn
Kansas
Arizona
Duke
Syracuse
Baylor
Houston
Louisville

Insane.

Reaction Score
RT 44 is a parking lot before WBB games. You think tripling that is feasible?
I sympathize with your ideas. But there are six home games a season for football. It won't be the end of the world if traffic is a little heavier for six hours for each game. Think about the benefits businesses in Willimantic and other nearby towns will see. An on-campus stadium means UConn can have a single graduation ceremony, too. Really renovating the Rent will cost a fortune. The locals there do not want concerts so the place likely will run at a loss. The X-L Center needs hundreds of millions of dollars of work, too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I sympathize with your ideas. But there are six home games a season for football. It won't be the end of the world if traffic is a little heavier for six hours for each game. Think about the benefits businesses in Willimantic and other nearby towns will see. An on-campus stadium means UConn can have a single graduation ceremony, too. Really renovating the Rent will cost a fortune. The locals there do not want concerts so the place likely will run at a loss. The X-L Center needs hundreds of millions of dollars of work, too.
Everything you have written on this subject including this post is a silly pipe dream. What business benefits will Willimantic see? The same East Hartford has enjoyed over 20 years? UConn fans are not going to sit in a 12-mile traffic jam and CT taxpayers are not going to pay for a new stadium and new roads for six games and one graduation ceremony.

Reaction Score
The B12 strategy is clear. Add Colorado and UConn now to stake their flag both for West Coast and East Coast future expansion. Lock in Colorado and UConn now. But the eventual plans is to also add 3 more West Coast teams (3 of the Pac12 stragglers) and 3 more East Coast teams (3 of Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, Georgia Tech, etc).

To ease the worries of the Basketball Only fans that don't want to leave the Big East, think of having this set of teams as the Top 8 in a conference:

UConn
Kansas
Arizona
Duke
Syracuse
Baylor
Houston
Louisville

Insane.
Possible San Diego St too which is no slouch in BBall

Reaction Score
Everything you have written on this subject including this post is a silly pipe dream. What business benefits will Willimantic see? The same East Hartford has enjoyed over 20 years? UConn fans are not going to sit in a 12-mile traffic jam and CT taxpayers are not going to pay for a new stadium and new roads for six games and one graduation ceremony.
QUESTION, MY FRIEND: What has Dave Benedict promised the Big 12 behind closed doors? What would demonstrate Connecticut's commitment to big time college football? Either spend a fortune on the aging, poorly located stadium in East Hartford or build a state of the art complex in Storrs. My choice would be in Storrs on Discovery Drive or nearby. College football fan loyalty begins when students walk from their dorms to the stadium. They return for decades to come with their own families to watch the same team. I don't think we need new roads to build a stadium in Storrs. Also, there are numerous local restaurants within a dozen miles of Storrs. There are wonderful Chinese and Latin restaurants in Willimantic that UConn fans would find tasty and affordable for an early evening supper. If UConn uses some creativity the stadium and neighboring buildings can be used for the university's intelligent effort to transfer STEM research into commercial applications. So far, we have one building on Discovery Drive. More meeting and exhibit space can be found in the new buildings during non-football times. And just look around the nation. Unless there is a pro team most decent college football teams have on-campus stadiums. As for the Rent, give it to Central Connecticut. It's close to their campus. They deserve a college football upgrade.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are wonderful Chinese and Latin restaurants in Willimantic that UConn fans would find tasty and affordable for an early evening supper.
No doubt. Do they get added business on BB game nights now? East Hartford has tasty Latin restaurants. You want to kill their business?

Reaction Score
QUESTION, MY FRIEND: What has Dave Benedict promised the Big 12 behind closed doors? What would demonstrate Connecticut's commitment to big time college football? Either spend a fortune on the aging, poorly located stadium in East Hartford or build a state of the art complex in Storrs. My choice would be in Storrs on Discovery Drive or nearby. College football fan loyalty begins when students walk from their dorms to the stadium. They return for decades to come with their own families to watch the same team. I don't think we need new roads to build a stadium in Storrs. Also, there are numerous local restaurants within a dozen miles of Storrs. There are wonderful Chinese and Latin restaurants in Willimantic that UConn fans would find tasty and affordable for an early evening supper. If UConn uses some creativity the stadium and neighboring buildings can be used for the university's intelligent effort to transfer STEM research into commercial applications. So far, we have one building on Discovery Drive. More meeting and exhibit space can be found in the new buildings during non-football times. And just look around the nation. Unless there is a pro team most decent college football teams have on-campus stadiums. As for the Rent, give it to Central Connecticut. It's close to their campus. They deserve a college football upgrade.
I live not far from Sacred Heart.. They're making major upgrades on the regular.. They're only FCS, but, there's still room for more growth up on the Storrs campus I think... get the on campus stadium... It'll make all the difference.. just sayin.... If the B12 officially invites us, and we accept, the stadium has to happen...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When thinking of pros and cons for accepting a Big XII invite, is it weird that money is not on either list for me?

Point being that the two schools that garnered B12 inclusion in the original Power 5 football arrangement are going to the SEC. What media partner is going to pony up $40 million (or whatever the amount is) per year and per school for what the public generally regards as inferior leftovers?

Reaction Score
Loyal FanCt you would have a much better chance of hitting powerball then Uconn building an on campus stadium.
Its not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01