Does UConn women’s basketball need a uniform overhaul?? | The Boneyard

Does UConn women’s basketball need a uniform overhaul??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is it time for a uniform change? A question we can certainly ponder and discuss the next couple of months while we're waiting for more team news/commitments to come out of the UConn basketball office. I think the article raises some interesting questions. We all have our preferences. EricLA says no. I say let's look into it. Remember, the uniforms many of you are so fond of now, and don't want to see changed or replaced, were once new uniforms. Get Nike (and several other uniform design companies) to submit 2-3 new concepts for consideration and approval.

I think they can do away with those hideous gray uniforms they wore at the XL Center last year. Not sure what they looked like in person, but they certainly didn't come across on TV as a good look. I remember several comments from Boneyarders saying they weren't on board with them.

Who makes the final decision to change/modify or bring back throwback uniforms anyway? Perhaps a Boneyard poll would be what is needed to take the "temperature" of the room on whether new or modified uniforms would be preferred. A new decade, a new team, a new look. I'd like to see some NEW designs and concepts. Nothing bold or outrageous like Oregon's lime green uniforms, rather something new yet trendy and tasteful.

I do like the idea of bringing back some of the throwbacks for 2-3 games, especially against the top 5 ranked teams. I particularly liked the uniforms of the Shea Ralph era as depicted here. These uniforms remind us of good times in UConn women's basketball lore. A time when UConn was "bad" for WCBB. A time when no team looked forward to coming to Gampel. ;)

1589731929595.png

Who knows, maybe someone will come up with a completely new uniform design that will appeal to the masses. Before we kill the idea of "new look" uniforms", lets look at what the designers have to offer. If we don't like any of them, THEN, we can give this idea two thumbs down.

White variations of their uniforms at home, blue variations on the road. I have no problem with the black uniforms. Throw them in one time on the road, then auction them off with the proceeds going to local charities.

What better way to celebrate our return to the BIG EAST Conference than with crisp NEW uniforms for our maiden voyage through the NBE conference. What say you? :)

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I' all ready for my chorus of boos. I want to stay with the traditional mostly blue, white and some red trim, but I would like to get away from the baggie look. This seems to be a moderate style from Australia
1589734633518.png

Actually, If I was still playing, I'd like the one piece

Reaction Score
Is it time for a uniform change? ...

Who makes the final decision to change or bring back throwback uniforms anyway? Perhaps a Boneyard poll would be what is needed to take the "temperature" of the room on this. A new decade, a new team, a new look. I'd like to see some NEW designs and concepts. Nothing bold or outrageous like Oregon's uniforms, rather something new yet trendy and tasteful.

I do like the idea of bringing back some of the throwbacks for 2-3 games, especially against the top 5 ranked teams. I particularly liked the uniforms of the Shea Ralph era as depicted here. These uniforms remind us of good times in UConn women's basketball lore. A time when UConn was "bad" for WCBB. A time when no team looked forward to coming to Gampel. ;)

View attachment 54400

Who knows, maybe someone will come up with a completely new uniform design that will appeal to the masses. Before we kill the idea of "new look" uniforms", lets look at some of the new concepts first. If we don't like any of them, THEN, put the ca-bosh to them. What better way to celebrate our return to the BIG EAST Conference than with crisp NEW uniforms for our first BE Conference game? What say you? :)
I imagine Nike has a whole lot to say about it since they're forking over millions of $$ for uniform & shoe representation.

For the record, I like the current uni's. Tasteful and classy without being overly conservative. And I don't mind the incremental yearly updating to keep them modern. I also don't care for the gray XL version (does ANYONE?), but no real biggie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Disagree with the post title, but pretty much agree with the actual article. I'm not a fan of the glossy letters, but I think the author or the article and me are the only two who they bother.

FWIW, I've always imagined the gray XL unis as a silent protest to Hartford games by Geno.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think the writer is bored from lack of news and being "stuck in place."

The uni's are fine. Classic look never goes out of style. I can do without the gray ones but I like the black ones. And definitely a no to the "diaper" option!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Sure helps when the numerals can be easily read on the tube.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Way, way too much messing with uniforms.

I have heard - anecdotally - that kids (players) and I suppose some fans like the endless variations and styles worn by teams like Maryland and Oregon. I know Arizona Football does a lot of switching up with uniform pants and tops combinations and helmets, but none of the colors are individually odd - really variations on blue, red, white and the rare copper colored helmet.

There are some ugly uniforms out there, I doubt you will see them at UConn (or Rutgers or Arizona for that matter). PS - I did see one of the gray uniformed games on TV and thought they were "dull".

Reaction Score
Would just like to add that the official color of the state of Connecticut is white. It symbolizes the purity of the Puritans who settled the state.

So that should be the basic color of UConn uniforms, no matter what else they use.

Just thought I'd throw that in....

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why UConn and some other colleges don’t have the last names on the back? Is it a school thing? Or an NCAA thing?

Reaction Score
Dislike the xl center jerseys. Wouldn’t mind seeing them continue to wear black for some of their bigger road games. A very crisp look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom