Does UConn Need a Low-Post "Banger"? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Does UConn Need a Low-Post "Banger"?

Reaction Score
Totally agree. And this was also true on offense. And having an inside offensive game was impacted by the injury to Dorka. I'm mainly thinking of foul trouble. The experience beating Stanford showed how vulnerable Liv and AE were to fouling out. I think this is why GA put AD in for as long as he did. But if they were worried about fouls, they were not going to be effective against Boston or Saxton or Cardozo offensively or defensively. Having a healthy Dorka in that game would have opened up their games on both ends for Liv and AE. And by extension, it would have opened up Azzi and Paige on offense and defense. I suspect if Dorka had been able to play, Henderson would not have had a big game because she and Zia would have been too occupied chasing Paige and Azzi all over the floor. All of this means it might have been a close game, maybe even a toss-up, like it was in last year's meeting.

Once you put it this way, the urgency of getting an inside banger seems less relevant. That's what AE already is, and Ice and Ayanna look to be formidable in this same way. If AE is not afraid of foul trouble, and Dorka has Amari backing her up, we already have a formidable front court.
I think I need better glasses because I don’t see what’s so many Connecticut fans see in Amari. She appears to be a good passer from the elbow and an OK shooter from long range but do we need that with Paige Azzi and Caroline I don’t think so. Most of her highlights are in garbage time. I know she’s going to spend time over the summer getting stronger and improving her skills but for so many people to automatically pencil her in as dependable I just don’t see it. If she were to get that much better over the summer that’s fantastic and I wholeheartedly would love to see it. I would just rather have an experienced grad transfer who we know can play high level post. Foul trouble has been an issue and that third experience the big could be key to another national title. look how disruptive losing Dorka was and what she could have meant in that title game. If the incoming bigs and Amari can prove themselves throughout the season that would be incredible but I just don’t see Connecticut depending on them in a critical big game situation. A senior or grad student may have been through it before and handle it with the experience. I don’t see a one-year transfer stunting the growth of all younger players considering practice is where they learn the most and having an additional big to practice against can only be beneficial. If they don’t sign a transfer big I believe it’s a serious role of the dice which I hope doesn’t come up snake eyes

Reaction Score
I think I need better glasses because I don’t see what’s so many Connecticut fans see in Amari. She appears to be a good passer from the elbow and an OK shooter from long range but do we need that with Paige Azzi and Caroline I don’t think so. Most of her highlights are in garbage time. I know she’s going to spend time over the summer getting stronger and improving her skills but for so many people to automatically pencil her in as dependable I just don’t see it. If she were to get that much better over the summer that’s fantastic and I wholeheartedly would love to see it. I would just rather have an experienced grad transfer who we know can play high level post. Foul trouble has been an issue and that third experience the big could be key to another national title. look how disruptive losing Dorka was and what she could have meant in that title game. If the incoming bigs and Amari can prove themselves throughout the season that would be incredible but I just don’t see Connecticut depending on them in a critical big game situation. A senior or grad student may have been through it before and handle it with the experience. I don’t see a one-year transfer stunting the growth of all younger players considering practice is where they learn the most and having an additional big to practice against can only be beneficial. If they don’t sign a transfer big I believe it’s a serious role of the dice which I hope doesn’t come up snake eyes
not sure how those Connecticut fans could see anything in her since she played just a tiny bit more than not at all. Somewhat baffling as she was a quite highly ranked recruit and you cant teach 6-5.

Reaction Score
I only said "if." I don't know how Amari will look in November. If she makes the most of this summer and fall, she'll get the PT. What I don't see is who in the portal so many folks think will just step into the UConn front court and solve all the problems, especially since they'd have to fit the culture and accept limited minutes. Dorka was an incredible find. I don't see another Dorka on the horizon.

Reaction Score
What UConn needs more than anything is players that show up and excel in big games. Everyone knows what Paige can do but the team needs 2-3 more players that aren't afraid of the big moments/big games. Are they on the roster ? I guess the jury is still out on that and we'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I agree on all of your points.

Reaction Score
Who are the Bigs who remain in the portal that could contribute to the team?

Reaction Score
What UConn needs more than anything is players that show up and excel in big games. Everyone knows what Paige can do but the team needs 2-3 more players that aren't afraid of the big moments/big games. Are they on the roster ? I guess the jury is still out on that and we'll have to wait and see.
That’s who Evina was — so-so shooter except when it really mattered. I think it’s who CD is, lots of turnovers early but clutch shots and tough D when the game is on the line. Azzi too. I think Lou showed this same game toughness at Fairfield. This can’t be coached, I think. You just have to hope to stumble upon it in this or that kid, and when you find it, you train them hard and put them in the big game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom