• Yes

Votes: 257 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 101 28.2%

• Total voters

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we got in the moment james, ajax, and recovering akok appeared on the bench, cleared to play. now, it's only a march to seeding tho, and like me, i don't think that they care one bit aboot who they play. it would be cool if they shredded big ten teams on the journey. somebody will, might as well be us.

Reaction Score
Think we need to beat Nova and not drop more than one of the remaining and do some
damage in the BET. But, really it comes down to how many bids you think the NBE will get? I am guessing no more than 5 and likely 4. Nova and Creighton are locks. That leaves us, SHU, SJU and Xavier fighting for maybe 3 but probably 2 spots.

Reaction Score
I don't see us losing more than one game going into the BE tourney.

@Nova- going to be a great game, win or lose. Tossup.
@GTown- should be a win, but depending on the outcome of Nova I could see it being a trap.
2 games in Gampel- Per Dan Hurley, we ain't losing at home the rest of the year
@SH- Can't see us losing to the same team twice with Bouk healthy.

Obligatory "Doomed," obviously team has to come ready to play each game. Just my prediction

Reaction Score

@GTown- should be a win, but depending on the outcome of Nova I could see it being a trap.

Obligatory "Doomed," obviously team has to come ready to play each game. Just my prediction
I agree with your concern for Gtown possibly being a trap game. I sincerely feel we are be can beat Nova. These guys are completely rejuvenated and are going to play like a team on a mission, and our talent will show when we play that way.
However, if we lose, I’m very concerned about Gtown in dc next. Gtown has been playing much better and the pressure on UConn to win if we lose to Nova will be immense.
Lets just win at Nova and we won’t have to worry about playing with that pressure.

Reaction Score
I am worried but hopeful we take care of business. Here are the current numbers:

SHU, KenPom 33, RPI 46
UConn, KenPom 37, RPI 80
Xavier, KenPom 59, RPI 43
SJU, KenPom 65, RPI 70

NBE is currently 8th rated conference for RPI (AAC is 7th) and it is such a weird season with COVID effects so many teams outside the power conferences are showing well and I think we may end up with more of those teams in the tourney this season than ever before. Of course many teams can still play themselves off the bubble but right now, think 4 spots is the best the NBE gets this season.

Reaction Score
I am worried but hopeful we take care of business. Here are the current numbers:

SHU, KenPom 33, RPI 46
UConn, KenPom 37, RPI 80
Xavier, KenPom 59, RPI 43
SJU, KenPom 65, RPI 70

NBE is currently 8th rated conference for RPI (AAC is 7th) and it is such a weird season with COVID effects so many teams outside the power conferences are showing well and I think we may end up with more of those teams in the tourney this season than ever before. Of course many teams can still play themselves off the bubble but right now, think 4 spots is the best the NBE gets this season.
And couldn’t you guys see the Committee giving a 7th or 8th ACC or B10 birth ahead of a 5th NBE birth or maybe even ahead of a 4th NBE birth and cite SOS? We should absolutely get the benefit of the doubt with Bouk back and likely showing a very strong L10 but I am worried that they will take a Maryland or Syracuse ahead of us.

Reaction Score
Just to close the loop for today, current SOS

Nova 3
Hall 4
Xavier 7
Creighton 18
SJU 42
UConn 78

We can absolutely play our way in but I think as we sit today we are on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Just to close the loop for today, current SOS

Nova 3
Hall 4
Xavier 7
Creighton 18
SJU 42
UConn 78

We can absolutely play our way in but I think as we sit today we are on the outside looking in.
Strength of schedule isn’t necessarily our fault with covid. We lost early games and a game against Nova, Xavier, and St. John’s earlier that can’t be made up. I would imagine that’s a big factor into why our SOS is low.

Reaction Score
It feels good for the first time in years that I will be scoreboard watching rooting for other bubble teams to lose.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
What’s with the losing to Villanova talk? Those little boys have done a decent job keeping the house clean the last few years, I’ll admit it.

We’re going to punch them back into their second place reality on Saturday. Daddy’s home.

Reaction Score
Strength of schedule isn’t necessarily our fault with covid. We lost early games and a game against Nova, Xavier, and St. John’s earlier that can’t be made up. I would imagine that’s a big factor into why our SOS is low.
I agree with you and that will likely be factored in by the Committee for the bubble B10, ACC, B12, etc. teams but not for the NBE. I just don’t trust the process. Let’s not make it a decision and win out! We can.

Reaction Score
I agree with you and that will likely be factored in by the Committee for the bubble B10, ACC, B12, etc. teams but not for the NBE. I just don’t trust the process. Let’s not make it a decision and win out! We can.
The committee does not view the Big East the same way you do, being in the Big East is not a negative the way you're framing it as

Reaction Score
The return of James Bouknight makes all of the difference here. I think that we can reasonably hope for a 4-1 finish to the season. With the band fully back together, they should be favored to beat Georgetown twice and Marquette. I like their chances in a revenge game against Seton Hall. With all of that being said, if the y pull off a road victory against Villanova this weekend, I think that they cement the spot in the field.

This could all go terribly wrong, but.....

I am looking forward to the Big East Tournament and a return to the NCAA. Depending on the seed and the matchups, the team could make a run. If Carlton is going to play like he did against Providence, they have depth in the post. If Cole and Martin continue to flourish as the second and third options, they will be tough to defend. With Bouknight back, everyone has a chance to be better because he commands so much attention. Floor spacing becomes so much easier. This actually helps Polley, as well. If they can score 75+ points per game, their defense will make them hard to beat.

Forgive me for getting carried away here but elite players are always part of deep tourney runs. Rip Hamilton in 1999, Gordon and Okafor in 2004, Kemba in 2011, and Shabazz in 2014. You can arguably put James Bouknight in that category. I know that I am putting the cart far, far in front of the horse here, but I, like so many of you, have bought a ticket on the bandwagon. I only wish that MSG was taking fans for the Big East Tourney.

Reaction Score
Will be shocked if we don't run the table leading up to BET.

Some nervous moments but IMO--All we need is to stay healthy and make FTs.

Reaction Score
Just for fun, where do y'all think we'd be seeded if we win out and win the BET, including victories against Villanofun and Creighton?

Depending on what happens with other teams, I'd expect to be seeded anywhere from 2 to 4. We'd be on a 10-game winning streak with a lot of quality wins.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
The committee does not view the Big East the same way you do, being in the Big East is not a negative the way you're framing it as
Listen I am absolutely thrilled that we are back where we belong. Everything is slanted to heavily to the P5 I just don’t want to leave it to chance. If you feel comfortable with a current 8 conference rpi rank you have more faith in the Committee process thank I do.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The thing that concerns me is only 2 Q1 and 1 Q2 wins right now. G'town and Marquette games are musts, and one of SH or Villanova may be crucial.

Reaction Score
Listen I am absolutely thrilled that we are back where we belong. Everything is slanted to heavily to the P5 I just don’t want to leave it to chance. If you feel comfortable with a current 8 conference rpi rank you have more faith in the Committee process thank I do.
If you believe RPI is the be all end all sure, KenPom has the Big East as the 5th best conference right now, ahead of the Pac 12. It's easy to look at the committee and past tournaments and see that it's not the P5 in basketball, it's the P6 with the Big East included

Reaction Score
Win Saturday and erase all doubts.
This is not a bubble team it’s a team capable of doing some damage.
It’s the most experienced team since 2014
and the most athletic since 2012.

Reaction Score
And couldn’t you guys see the Committee giving a 7th or 8th ACC or B10 birth ahead of a 5th NBE birth or maybe even ahead of a 4th NBE birth and cite SOS? We should absolutely get the benefit of the doubt with Bouk back and likely showing a very strong L10 but I am worried that they will take a Maryland or Syracuse ahead of us.
I think its more likely to happen in the reverse- we'll get the benefit of the doubt over a Mountain West or A10 team.

Even more likely that it doesn't even come to that though, the team will finish strong and we'll be in the 7/8 range

Reaction Score

One game at a time. Just take it one game at a time. ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom