Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship?

Reaction Score
The way I figure it, if Bama wins out, UCF is NCAA champion. If Georgia wins, UCF is NCAA champion. If Clemson wins out, UCF is #2. Whatever the outcome, UCF should be no lower than#2 in final rankings.

Reaction Score
The way I figure it, if Bama wins out, UCF is NCAA champion. If Georgia wins, UCF is NCAA champion. If Clemson wins out, UCF is #2. Whatever the outcome, UCF should be no lower than#2 in final rankings.

UCF and the AAC are gonna ride tonight's outcomes like Ben Hur. And OSU has an argument but won't upset the apple cart because $$$$. Should be fun but unfortunately an all SEC matchup isn't must see TV for me. Really wanted Oklahoma though Georgia was awesome tonight. Maybe shoulda been the Final.

Reaction Score
UCF and the AAC are gonna ride tonight's outcomes like Ben Hur. And OSU has an argument but won't upset the apple cart because $$$$. Should be fun but unfortunately an all SEC matchup isn't must see TV for me. Really wanted Oklahoma though Georgia was awesome tonight. Maybe shoulda been the Final.
Stage is set for major controversy with Bama up big. #3 and #4 for playing runner-up as far as I'm concerned. Only team with a pure claim is UCF. Should be fun.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I’m UCF, I claim everything under the sun and then I claim the sun.

When you’re 13-0 and you just straight up beat the team that thumped the two teams that will likely play for the title, you absolutely can claim the national title.

No one will give it to you, of course, but make the noise anyway.

Reaction Score
If I’m UCF, I claim everything under the sun and then I claim the sun.

When you’re 13-0 and you just straight up beat the team that thumped the two teams that will likely play for the title, you absolutely can claim the national title.

No one will give it to you, of course, but make the noise anyway.

Absolutely! Well said!

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see what Arescos move is on this .

What would be interesting is if the UCONN girls win the National Title and Perhaps Wichita State or Cincy go to the final four and who knows what!
In any event the execs in the AAC are gonna ride this victory for a while!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
-UCF national champs-trophy (3).jpg

Hey what do you know? I guess they took the trophy after all!

Good to see they put it to good use.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A precedent has been set.

1984 BYU Cougars football team - Wikipedia

This 2017 UCF team is more qualified than the 1984 BYU team for a title. That's been BYU's sole title that they've been riding. UCF absolutely should claim a co-championship.

If the championship was still decided by a vote you could make an argument. I guess UCF can stomp their feet and make noise, and they probably should. They have the look of a team that is good enough to be in the playoffs, even if they don't have a regular season schedule that will convince anyone of that.

This is just further evidence that the playoff needs to be an 8 team field. 5 P5 champions and 3 at large teams. That would address all the possible controversies that we saw this year. It just seems so damn obvious to set it up that way.

Reaction Score
A team that does not win it's conference should be disqualified from the playoff

Reaction Score
Yeah, UCF did beat Auburn (as did Clemson and LSU)....UCF was good this year..If they had been in the SEC East, I wonder how they would have faired playing Georgia and then Bama in the CCG?

We'll never know.

By the by...the USF-UCF game was a great fan's game....score tied 42-42 with 1:41 left...and UCF returns the kick off for a TD and the win.

And I loved the double OT match with Memphis in the CCG.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UCF did beat Auburn (as did Clemson and LSU)....UCF was good this year..If they had been in the SEC East, I wonder how they would have faired playing Georgia and then Bama in the CCG?

We'll never know.

By the by...the USF-UCF game was a great fan's game....score tied 42-42 with 1:41 left...and UCF returns the kick off for a TD and the win.

Good? Really?

Reaction Score

We'll never know.

If only this post could be read in Mr. Burn's voice from the Simpson....so much gold here.

Translation...once UCF beat Auburn, Auburn suddenly became a not so good 3 loss team despite being considered the best team in the country and beating both teams in the championship, Georgia and Bama. Moreover, "I loved the double OT match" means since UCF had some close, exciting wins they really weren't that good since they obviously did not dominate their competition. Finally "we'll never know" translates into "cause I'm the P5 parent and I said no..."

Throw in the obligatory "I wonder how they would have faired against Georgia" as the ultimate straw man argument. It means "I think UCF would have gotten stomped by Georgia and, in some twisted logic, UCF somehow is fortunate they were denied a change to play Georgia for a title...."

This posts bats for the P5 cycle...

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This makes no realistic sense

1. Did Western Michigan belong in the playoff last year?

2. This would just encourage teams to schedule cupcakes.

UCF had more quality wins than Alabama, still does, and will even if Bama beats Georgia.

Would Bama be favored over UCF? Probably, but that isn't the criteria.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UCF had more quality wins than Alabama, still does, and will even if Bama beats Georgia.

LOL that’s the subbadumdumbest thing you’ve ever posted.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LOL that’s the subbadumdumbest thing you’ve ever posted.

Go ahead and name them. For Bama you get LSU and Clemson. They have no other top 25ish wins.

UCF has Memphis (x2), USF, and Auburn. So they have 3 wins as good as LSU and one win as good as Clemson.

At some point the facts matter more than the eye test. This isn't supposed to be figure skating.

Reaction Score
And let us be realistic...with near 130 teams...there will always be an argument about the best four

If you win 'em all, but your end schedule SOS is poor....65 ranks plus higher than Clemson and Oklahoma...50 some odd higher than Georgia, 25 higher than Bama (Sagarin)....only one game against a final top 30 team (Sagarin).....while Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson played 5 or more top 30 teams...you aren't playing the same game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom