Does this hire help in finding a new conference | The Boneyard

Does this hire help in finding a new conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I was asked this by a coworker this morning and I said I'd ask the 'yard.

Bottom line: I don't know squat about football, and haven't read many posts here since early this morning.

So ... Does this hire help? If so, how?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
No.

Guess I should elaborate. The hire won't get us to a better conference, but if he wins, and the program builds, we become more attractive to bigger conferences.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not sure it matters too much, but to the degree it does, it is helpful since it has generated positive press and has demonstrated that UConn both can be attractive to a well respected coach and is willing to step to the plate and make the commitments required for one. To the extent that he is successful in building the program into a winner/top 25ish level it will help some too.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It helps in general in that it shows that we're serious about football that we have the resources to commit to a respected coach from a high profile program.... but ultimately I think the only thing that would really help is to win, a lot.

Reaction Score
It depends on if you believe a school like UConn has a lot of control over its own conference realignment destiny. I am one of those people who believes it wasn't Manuel's fault we got passed over for Louisville. I believe schools like Clemson and Florida State were adamant, after pulling in Syracuse/Pitt, that they needed a school with football culture and a school which people believed would provide value in both football and basketball. With our milquetoast football coach and our HOF basketball coach retiring, we got caught at the worst possible time.

If Diaco can be successful and we can increase attendance and show the world that UConn is serious about football, then it's possible. Football drives the realignment bus. But some of it is totally beyond our control. It depends if vacancies open up, if GOR can be held up in court, etc.

I will say, though, that it probably doesn't hurt. It certainly sends the right message.

Reaction Score
No. Next in line on the east coast comes down to Uconn, Cinci and UCF.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No.

If he wins, it helps us stay afloat during our time in the wilderness, but UConn's fate lies largely in the hands of the television networks and they've put away their checkbooks for the time being.

Reaction Score
Yes, it does.

UConn pays top dollar and attracts up and coming coaches, the best assistant coaches nationally. He is the kind of hire that would have been sought after at UConn if UConn were in a P5 conference.

It helps because it shows that UConn is much more like the #20-50 schools in the country than it is like the #50-100.

That helps UConn undoubtedly, and now Uconn cannot be dismissed when the P5 set up their pay-for-play division.

Reaction Score
No.

If he wins, it helps us stay afloat during our time in the wilderness, but UConn's fate lies largely in the hands of the television networks and they've put away their checkbooks for the time being.
I'm afraid you may have nailed it. However, the rest of college football (and probably the other sports as well) can be assured MY checkbook is also closed to them.

Reaction Score
He is the best football prospective coach we've ever hired. I know that much. Certainly cannot hurt.

Reaction Score
I can't help but think it helps the perception of the stature or clout of our program that we're able to lure a hot, young coordinator from one of the best-known football schools in the country.

That said, like others have mentioned, it's ultimately the results on the field that matter. If he's able to recruit a few studs, get us into the top 25 or recognizable bowl games from time to time, and keep butts in the seats at Rentschler, that will attract major-conference attention.

Reaction Score
Yes, it does.

UConn pays top dollar and attracts up and coming coaches, the best assistant coaches nationally. He is the kind of hire that would have been sought after at UConn if UConn were in a P5 conference.

It helps because it shows that UConn is much more like the #20-50 schools in the country than it is like the #50-100.

That helps UConn undoubtedly, and now Uconn cannot be dismissed when the P5 set up their pay-for-play division.
$1.5 mm is not top dollar. It is middle of the road in the P5 conferences. The pedigree that comes with this hire matters to some casual observers but if this shows Uconn can attract a top assistant, it was also publicly rebuffed by another. It does show that Uconn is several steps above any MAC schools in terms of pay and resources but in the pool of the next potential candidates/AAC peers, Uconn is not significantly outspending those schools (Cinci - $3.14 million; UCF - $1.55 million with a likely increase after the BCS bid). http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/coach/

So many times people think Uconn can not be dismissed, but it has happened in the past and may (make sure you read that word) happen again in the future because so much about expansion is outside the control of Uconn.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
His hire has to electrify the fan base into ticket sales and if that happens the future can only be brighter. Then we can laugh at the Cuse.

Reaction Score
So many times people think Uconn can not be dismissed, but it has happened in the past and may (make sure you read that word) happen again in the future because so much about expansion is outside the control of Uconn.
What's great about our future is the fans of the ACC and the B1G can really no longer complain about UConn. They are learning the school and athletic department has been around for quite a while. And that we are aiming to be successful in every way we can be. Moreso than Rutgers!

It seems the media is even speaking of UConn with a better or more favorable tone than in the past. We're perceived as a "big boy" school now. We were on the front page of espn.com for this hire.

Winning in football, endowment and AAU status are next on our list. We've come a very long way since 1979. Dave Gavitt was the only person who wanted us in the Big East back when it was created. That explains some of the sentiment carried by Syracuse and BC. They know Connecticut is ultimately no slouch.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I would say it could help if the football team becomes successful. UCONN has the image of a basketball only school. we all recognize that we are more than that, but since football drives the bus, it's important to show that we play quality football as well. Had we gone 1-A 10 years earlier and had success and developed a little history, maybe we get into the ACC instead of Louisville. It's perception and we're perceived as a hoops school.

Reaction Score
I am one of those people who believes it wasn't Manuel's fault we got passed over for Louisville. I believe schools like Clemson and Florida State were adamant,

Actually I read somewhere (going to have to try and find it again) that clemson was against the Louisville invite. Just throwing that out there.

Reaction Score
No.

Fishy hit it right on...CR is driven by the perception of TV $$$$. ..and that means our "friends" in Bristol who drive the bus, own the bus, get fuel for the bus.
I like it that SNY is having blips hit the screen like "SNY---Home of the UCONN Huskies". Sooner rather than later, the B1G wakes up and looks at the value perception.
Checkbooks are open if there is perceived value....
Being successful in football, men's AND women's BB doesn't hurt.

Reaction Score
If it helps us improve in football, then sure. It can help cut down on the "No" votes that we get when schools vote on whether to bring us in, because all of a sudden we're not a BS football program that adds nothing to their league.

Louisville, historically, is not a great football program. Realignment happened when they were at a high point and we were at our lowest. When the next round of realignment comes around, and we've stabilized, we get much stronger consideration.

I think this guy can help us win a lot of games, which is literally the only thing we can control when it comes to getting out of the AAC. Well, that and not pissing off other schools whose votes we need.

Reaction Score
$1.5 mm is not top dollar. It is middle of the road in the P5 conferences. The pedigree that comes with this hire matters to some casual observers but if this shows Uconn can attract a top assistant, it was also publicly rebuffed by another. It does show that Uconn is several steps above any MAC schools in terms of pay and resources but in the pool of the next potential candidates/AAC peers, Uconn is not significantly outspending those schools (Cinci - $3.14 million; UCF - $1.55 million with a likely increase after the BCS bid). http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/coach/

UConn was willing to pay more. But you don't pay that to an assistant. UConn is showing it can do better than Middle of the Road P5, but that's where I placed them anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom