Does this hire help in finding a new conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does this hire help in finding a new conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn was willing to pay more. But you don't pay that to an assistant. UConn is showing it can do better than Middle of the Road P5, but that's where I placed them anyway.
Being a Michigan State is not all so bad. Oregon used to be middle of the road. Look where they are now. With this state being rich at the present (and hopefully in the future), our limit is the sky. We just might be alive to see us reach it in football. You never know, really. Sure was nice to see it happen in other sports. Winning and money changes everything in sports.

Reaction Score
Oregon used to be middle of the road. Look where they are now. With this state being rich at the present (and hopefully in the future), our limit is the sky.
2 things - Oregon has Phil Knoght and Nike that prints money for the FB program whenever they need it. Second, I guess I missed the state deficits being wiped out.

Diaco is a good hire today. Let's hope at the end of next season he looks like a great hire. More importantly, I hope in 3 years he is considered the one that got away from other schools.

Reaction Score
Actually I read somewhere (going to have to try and find it again) that clemson was against the Louisville invite. Just throwing that out there.

So was Miami
(Hurtt)

Reaction Score
nobody knows the equation for getting into the P5 from the AAC so it's difficult to say.
if you believe perception plays a part, then this could help. Uconn with this hire is now perceived as a player.
had we gone with a less visible or know name, the risk may have been that uconn wasn't willing to step up.

what really matters is uconn winning. winning the AAC, winning bowls, and getting to the BCS (or whatever they're called going forward)... Essentially doing what Boise did, except Uconn has the location, the academics, and the TV's. That doesn't happen in one season. but it does start with getting the right coach. public sentiment is that uconn did that yesterday...

after that, it's not really in uconn's hands.

Reaction Score
I think it is one step in the right direction. It is incumbent on the Admin and the State to aggressively market UConn - which means winning AAC and OC games, coming up with a financial CR funding plan and commitment to upgrade the stadium, and leveraging other sports schedules to get more exposure to the B1G. While it is a second sister, UConn has great basketball programs that should be very attractive to p5 conferences in comparison to other candidate schools.

Reaction Score
2 things - Oregon has Phil Knoght and Nike that prints money for the FB program whenever they need it. Second, I guess I missed the state deficits being wiped out.
I am very well aware of both trends. Heck, isn't the country technically bankrupt? Beyond the present, public schools have a HUGE future.

Reaction Score
Well winning & academic perception help a lot, I think the latter is severely overlooked by the average BIG fans, but thank God they don't make the decisions. UConn is on par with many BIG schools, academically speaking, maybe not so much on the graduate-research side, but your upside is clearly there. I wouldn't be too obsessed with AAU status since this is an organization at risk of contraction. On the bright side, your state continues to invest in UConn and if the endowment climbs - I think good enough.

I also think it helps that your new football coach and AD are BIG alum (Iowa and Michigan respectively).

Some of us were posting a couple years ago that Md was likely BIG bound due to its ties to the BIG, not just academics, potential media market. Md's current Chancellor, President and even Gary Williams' brief tenure at OSU and time as analyst on the BTN - all = previous BIG "ties". This are smaller things, but not to be overlooked.

Why wouldn't your AD help push for a BIG invite? Especially if he can twist Michigan's arm of influence? That's a huge start. I can't see why PSU-Rutgers-Md administrators and coaches would oppose a UConn addition: another cultural fit in the East, excellent competition in certain sports, and another shorter road trip for all sports. UConn-PSU-Rutgers-MD = a greater, more influential collection of flagships from the Mid-Atlantic-Northeast than the ACC - comparisons aren't even necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom