Does The Burton Family Football Complex Help Recruiting? | The Boneyard

Does The Burton Family Football Complex Help Recruiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Common theme over the past 3 days is that we clearly don't have D1 talent to be able to compete with the likes of Temple, Tulane, etc. Hell, the juggernaut that is East Carolina might be 25 pt. favorites.

How does this happen when the BFFC is $50 million worth of state-of-the-art football glory? Do football facilities like this just not matter to impressionable high school kids anymore? I thought the BFFC was supposed to be a game changer.

Reaction Score
Common theme over the past 3 days is that we clearly don't have D1 talent to be able to compete with the likes of Temple, Tulane, etc. Hell, the juggernaut that is East Carolina might be 25 pt. favorites.

How does this happen when the BFFC is $50 million worth of state-of-the-art football glory? Do football facilities like this just not matter to impressionable high school kids anymore? I thought the BFFC was supposed to be a game changer.

AAC

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with the AAC. Was the recent success of UCF and ECU a fluke? Did their "upgrade" to the AAC help their recruitment? Will they become Juggernauts?

I really am not interested in getting into a pissing match over this. But look at their recruiting footprint vs. ours. The leftover recruits not taken from P5 schools down there are better than the northeast.

Reaction Score
I really am not interested in getting into a pissing match over this. But look at their recruiting footprint vs. ours. The leftover recruits not taken from P5 schools down there are better than the northeast.
The ones in the northeast need some southeastern training.

Reaction Score
I do not disagree with what you have said here. But your response to the OP was that the AAC is the issue. That is not our issue, the issue is our recruiting area. Regardless of conference, it is still the northeast.

Reaction Score
I do not disagree with what you have said here. But your response to the OP was that the AAC is the issue. That is not our issue, the issue is our recruiting area. Regardless of conference, it is still the northeast.

The AAC is absolutely an issue. Who are we recruiting against? That's the important question. If we're recruiting against Temple, we should win the facilities war. However, you can get a ham sandwich admitted to Temple nowadays. If we're recruiting against B1G or ACC schools, being in the American is an issue.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
To the OP I will just say : facilities are a factor, but I've never heard it be the #1 factor in a recruits decision.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Facilities are part, but the coaches, players, academics, and those put in the NFL are part of it.

Reaction Score
Facilities are nice, but ipads, playstations and flat screens aren't what does it, no matter how much ESPN will tell you so. What gets the recruits is a dynamic coach that plays a style of football that will get you to the NFL and being on television a lot so people can see you. Facilities have never won anything. But players and coaches? They win a lot.

Reaction Score
Facilities are nice, but ipads, playstations and flat screens aren't what does it, no matter how much ESPN will tell you so. What gets the recruits is a dynamic coach that plays a style of football that will get you to the NFL and being on television a lot so people can see you. Facilities have never won anything. But players and coaches? They win a lot.

That is pretty close. Facilities and the campus matter. Conference matters a lot. But coaching, style of play, and winning is at the top.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We will be at a disadvantage vs most of our current conference members (I don't know how far Tulane and Tulsa bend their standards for athletes) as we (especially with our current leadership) will not accept many players who would be admitted to most G-5 (and quite a few P-5) schools. We also will always be at a disadvantage due to our recruiting base. If we want to spend our time b!tch!ng about our disadvantages we may as well give up.

Reaction Score
It's also important to remember that that facility is also getting close to 10 years old. While it is still very nice, in today's day and age and with the arms race going on, particularly with P5 schools, it pales in comparison to many other football facilities.

It may help in recruiting amongst AAC schools but it is not swaying a kid from a P5 school

Reaction Score
It's also important to remember that that facility is also getting close to 10 years old. While it is still very nice, in today's day and age and with the arms race going on, particularly with P5 schools, it pales in comparison to many other football facilities.

It may help in recruiting amongst AAC schools but it is not swaying a kid from a P5 school

Yea, I see it as more of a requirement to compete than a real advantage in recruiting at this point.

Reaction Score
Really?

Yes. I have been in many different football facilities having worked for adidas north america for 23 years. While the Burton Center is very nice it doesn't compare to a lot of others football buildings. And I'm not including the new Oregon building which is WAY OVER THE TOP.

While many here do not want to hear it the new facility that Syracuse is building will most likely be nicer if for no other reason than it will be 10 years newer. This is not to take a shot at the Burton Center which is very nice but you are talking about a 10 year old facility versus a brand new one. Unfortunately, it will very difficult to keep up facilities wise with schools making 10 or 20 times what we make in our media deal without donations like the one being made to UConn soccer. Susan & Warde need to start shaking the trees if we are stuck in the AAC for much longer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. I have been in many different football facilities having worked for adidas north america for 23 years. While the Burton Center is very nice it doesn't compare to a lot of others football buildings. And I'm not including the new Oregon building which is WAY OVER THE TOP

I've been to a few in my line of work, and I'm calling BS on this. Name the facilities that are better.

Reaction Score
I've been to a few in my line of work, and I'm calling BS on this. Name the facilities that are better.

Texas
Tennessee
Florida
North Carolina
Wisconsin
Ohio St
Texas A&M
Louisville
Washington
Stanford

to name a few

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Pretty much sums everything up about recruiting.

Reaction Score
Texas
Tennessee
Florida
North Carolina
Wisconsin
Ohio St
Texas A&M
Louisville
Washington
Stanford

to name a few

Of those, I've been to Ohio St, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, and Stanford. There is no material difference between any of those facilities and ours. None whatsoever.

The only way this makes any sense is if you're including the stadiums as part of the facilities. Otherwise, the Burton matches any of those other P5 facilities that I've mentioned.

Reaction Score
Of those, I've been to Ohio St, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, and Stanford. There is no material difference between any of those facilities and ours. None whatsoever.

The only way this makes any sense is if you're including the stadiums as part of the facilities. Otherwise, the Burton matches any of those other P5 facilities that I've mentioned.

Then we'll agree to disagree. Again, I'm not taking a shot at the Burton Center. It is a VERY NICE building. I just don't think it is as nice as these other ones.

Reaction Score

You don't wanna see Oregon's facilities then. It's a flat out amusement park in comparison.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was pretty disappointed that our recruiting didn't see a really notable improvement once the facilities opened. I don't follow recruiting, but didn't we pretty much stay in the same ranking for most of Randy's years here?

Reaction Score
Facilities matter, and yours seem to be on par with those you would find in most BCS Conferences. No disadvantage there. The biggest obstacles to UCONN elevating it's program are recruiting base, and program support.

In terms of recruiting base, there are simply not enough high end players in the Northeast to feed all of the programs that recruit there regularly. You are up against not only a handful of helmet schools, but a number of regional programs as well.

UCONN should work any connections to the South as much as possible. Your coaches should work camps at smaller schools, and spend as much time there as humanly possible. Schools like Wisconsin, Purdue and NW have mined Fl for years in order to grab athletes.

Even after all of the SEC and national powers have fed, there are still literally hundreds of kids going to lower tier B1G, ACC, Big 12, Conference USA, and AAC Programs on a yearly basis. These kids grow up in football cultures, and play the sport year round. If they qualify academically, sell them on opportunity, and education.

The other issue, program support, is more difficult. Kind of a chicken or the egg type argument. It is hard to land higher end prospects when the atmosphere at games isn't the greatest, but it is difficult to have a great atmosphere when the quality on the field is lacking. The diehards need to continue their support, while the team turns things around on the field. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle with a great season, that creates a great environment, and in turn attracts higher level recruits. Once the snowball gets rolling things can sustain themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom