Does Geno Still Have it? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does Geno Still Have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fact of the matter is X and O can win a few games, but Jimmy and Joe's win championships. You have to have the players. At one point UConn had the best of the best. Any mistakes made were overshadowed by how much better the players were vs the opponent. Those days are gone.

Now when teams are evenly matched, coaching and execution become the deciding factors.
My significant question--I hope some may answer: (no insult intended, just a straight question). Over the past 10 or maybe 20 years (they whiz by so fast) Uconn has had a miserable time getting decent Posts (neglecting Ono or Dorka). Often, he has a "big" sitting and sitting and sitting--then gone. He recruited 3 these past 2 years (no names) high hype here in this B.Y., still they don't produce.
Going back a century (it seems that way) Stokes (my all time UConn kid (with10 others)) unsung, no idea where she rated, and not much respect from Geno was a terrific Defensive Post, and proved she CoULD score in the Pro's. Where are all the Stokes out there--OR-- won't they come to Uconn? Does the sitting and sitting --harm recruiting Bigs?

Reaction Score
I have said on more than 1 occasion that I believe Geno to be one of the best pre-game coaches, but one of the worst in-game coaches. He rarely uses timeouts to stop opponents' runs and rarely does UConn score after calling a timeout (after designing a play) and many times opponents score after they call a timeout.

I have called UConn a finesse team and they still are. They play pretty basketball. The game has changed. It has gotten faster. I believe Geno has realized this with the recruitment of KK. She is the future of women's basketball.

The days of leaving opponents open to "miss" their 3-point shot are over. Everyone can shoot the 3 now. Everyone has to be guarded. UConn lacks the speed and quickness to do that.

Since "It" is very hard to define, I will say he probably still has "it", but "It" needs some adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom