Does Geno Still Have it? | The Boneyard

Does Geno Still Have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
A good question for sure..
No one can argue with what he has accomplished up until last year even, with the ridiculous street of consecutive Final Four appearances. and the 11 National Championships etc

But let's look a little deeper to see if he still has it or not..
There was once a time when you could say if you gave coach the best player(s) in the country coming out of HS you are pretty much sure there will be a national championship or two, or three or four. in their college career. We have recruited a number of #1, thru #5 recruits who have not reached that goal as of late, Megan, Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Olivia, and Crystal.. to name a few. Of course, some will argue... that is just a matter of more talent being distributed throughout.. However, if you start with the projected best players and you are considered the best Coach at the best program, then you have to ask does he still has it. Especially if the players did not have any significant injury such as in the case of Megan, Christyn, Olivia, Crystal, etc. For now, we will give him a pass on Paige and Azzi due to their injuries... :(

Let's Look at another factor of importance, the development of players throughout their careers at UCONN.
I have heard this stated several times on these boards, Geno knows how to develop players. I for one believe he is a great teacher of the game, on how to play cohesively as a team, how to prepare for an opponent, how to hide your weaknesses and play to your strengths, proper spacing, etc. He is also known as a great motivator... that comes from his players.

My eye test on being a "great" Developer is a little different however, What did Megan leave Storrs with that she didn't already have, from a skillset point of view? I can ask this question for almost every highly-rated player we have ever had. yes, we'll find one or two who drastically improved, but quite a few had marginal gains or remained inconsistent throughout their 4 years at Storrs.
Did Breanna or Katie Lou become a significantly better shooter/scorer, or was that skillset already there from the beginning? Same for Paige and Azzi, Maya, Diana, and on an on.. Don't get me wrong, as I said earlier, those players learning how to read and react in Geno's system made them more valuable at the next level no doubt. as with all the players that go through this program... but I'm more specifically looking at individual skillset such as, how to create separation or draw a foul on your opponents, how to use your left hand instead of your right, how to become better ball handlers etc. The trend is that most of the players are going to skill coaches outside of UCONN to acquire some of these individual developments to their games, as did Megan, Collier, Azzi, Paige etc. Perhaps from a defensive standpoint, I will give the UCONN coaches an edge in improving their players over the 4-year term.. What worries me though is when I hear a coach saying to their players, you figure it out...

Lastly, the code to beating UCONN has pretty much been out there for a few years now, my concern is that we don't turn into Tennessee. If you remember in Geno's ascension to greatness, he then figured out how to use Tennessee's trademark aggressive defense against them by going back door on them, for easy layups, over and over again... we then became the Tennessee killers. We are still recruiting the same type of kids, you know the skilled but way too (Nice Ones)... who operate on rhythm and freedom of movement. I think we need to recruit a few Bam Bams to enforce against some of the bully ball we face today :) and a few more players like Swin Cash, aggressive as France and quick to the ball for rebounding... I want to see us get to the point when we run teams out the gym again, and run plays only when we have to.. actually, that is what the teams who are having success against us are currently doing, attack, attack, attack, attack... gone are the days when we were the fittest team in college, Geno only playing a few players in games have taken it's toll on his players, let's give them some rest and learn to trust a few more players each game Geno.. :)

Anyway, to answer my own question, I do believe Coach still has it in him, he's just a little too stubborn that's all.. :)

Reaction Score
While this is always a dangerous subject to address, few would not rate Geno one of the best coaches of any sport and still one of the best in women's college basketball. That being said, most strong coaches are always looking for new ideas and are not afraid of change. Those of us who followed Geno from day one at UCon saw this as one of this strengths. While all strong coaches, would favor some new blood on the staff, individuals who are unafraid of pushing Geno to consider meeting the new strategies of the Huskie's competition with more creative ideas of our own.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
it’s a good thing some ya’ll don’t run the UConn athletics department because ya’ll would have Geno like this after every loss

Reaction Score
I lent it to him last year and he still hasn’t given it back. He definitely still has it.

Amazing what losing one game and a sweet 16 exit with a banged up team will do to destroy a reputation.
It is/has been longer than that, and it is fair to point that out.

Reaction Score
It is/has been longer than that, and it is fair to point that out.
We haven't won a NC since 2016 ... 7 years ... horrifying. Nevermind that we still continued to make it to the FF (and 1 title game) and won consistently in the AAC & BE (which is easier said than done, contrary to popular belief). We have gone 5 years between NCs before and, believe it or not, we were not making the FFs in all those in between years.

It's about a little perspective. We're far from nosediving. We can't win the NC every single year, even if I think we deserve it by virtue of being UConn.

Reaction Score
No one can argue with what he has accomplished up until last year even, with the ridiculous street of consecutive Final Four appearances. and the 11 National Championships etc

There was once a time when you could say if you gave coach the best player(s) in the country coming out of HS you are pretty much sure there will be a national championship or two, or three or four. in their college career. We have recruited a number of #1, thru #5 recruits who have not reached that goal as of late, Megan, Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Olivia, and Crystal.. to name a few. Of course, some will argue... that is just a matter of more talent being distributed throughout.. However, if you start with the projected best players and you are considered the best Coach at the best program, then you have to ask does he still has it. Especially if the players did not have any significant injury such as in the case of Megan, Christyn, Olivia, Crystal, etc. For now, we will give him a pass on Paige and Azzi due to their injuries... :(

Let's Look at another factor of importance, the development of players throughout their careers at UCONN.
I have heard this stated several times on these boards, Geno knows how to develop players. I for one believe he is a great teacher of the game, on how to play cohesively as a team, how to prepare for an opponent, how to hide your weaknesses and play to your strengths, proper spacing, etc. He is also known as a great motivator... that comes from his players.

My eye test on being a "great" Developer is a little different however, What did Megan leave Storrs with that she didn't already have, from a skillset point of view? I can ask this question for almost every highly-rated player we have ever had. yes, we'll find one or two who drastically improved, but quite a few had marginal gains or remained inconsistent throughout their 4 years at Storrs.
Did Breanna or Katie Lou become a significantly better shooter/scorer, or was that skillset already there from the beginning? Same for Paige and Azzi, Maya, Diana, and on an on.. Don't get me wrong, as I said earlier, those players learning how to read and react in Geno's system made them more valuable at the next level no doubt. as with all the players that go through this program... but I'm more specifically looking at individual skillset such as, how to create separation or draw a foul on your opponents, how to use your left hand instead of your right, how to become better ball handlers etc. The trend is that most of the players are going to skill coaches outside of UCONN to acquire some of these individual developments to their games, as did Megan, Collier, Azzi, Paige etc. Perhaps from a defensive standpoint, I will give the UCONN coaches an edge in improving their players over the 4-year term.. What worries me though is when I hear a coach saying to their players, you figure it out...

Lastly, the code to beating UCONN has pretty much been out there for a few years now, my concern is that we don't turn into Tennessee. If you remember in Geno's ascension to greatness, he then figured out how to use Tennessee's trademark aggressive defense against them by going back door on them, for easy layups, over and over again... we then became the Tennessee killers. We are still recruiting the same type of kids, you know the skilled but way too (Nice Ones)... who operate on rhythm and freedom of movement. I think we need to recruit a few Bam Bams to enforce against some of the bully ball we face today :) and a few more players like Swin Cash, aggressive as France and quick to the ball for rebounding... I want to see us get to the point when we run teams out the gym again, and run plays only when we have to.. actually, that is what the teams who are having success against us are currently doing, attack, attack, attack, attack... gone are the days when we were the fittest team in college, Geno only playing a few players in games have taken it's toll on his players, let's give them some rest and learn to trust a few more players each game Geno.. :)

Anyway, to answer my own question, I do believe Coach still has it in him, he's just a little too stubborn that's all.. :)
I think since you laid it out there, I will be brutally honest too. I mean no disrespect to anyone when I say this but I do believe it to be manifestly true. I think it’s fair to say that, while Geno is obviously a great coach, he also won most of the 11 titles because he had three transcendent players. Dee, Maya, and Stewie! Now he would have won some even without those three but they were the prime force for probably 9 of them. You mentioned that he has recruited many other top five players as well. This is true and a number of those were #1 ranked players. The brutal reality though is that (again, no disrespect intended) none of those other #1s were at the level of the three I just mentioned. They were not the kind of player who picked the entire team up and carried them to the title. They ranged from very good to great but they simply did not have what the Three had. To be fair, Dee had Sue and other very good players for her first, and then showed with her final two titles, why she is generally acknowledged as the GOAT. Maya had Tina and other greats as well. Stewie had Mo and Morgan.
The truth is that since Stewie, Paige has been the only truly transcendent player he’s been able to get. All others #1s - 5s have been good enough to keep us at a high level but not good enough to break down the gate and take the castle. There were a couple of teams, 2017 & 2018 that could have won but were derailed (not by bad luck but perhaps by a lack of good luck at a crucial moment) at the Final Four. This is not to say we should have won but only that we could have. Even two years ago, does anyone doubt that we could possibly have beaten SC in the title game had we been completely healthy Or that we would likely have beaten Stanford had we not had a letdown against Arizona? (Still one of the most disappointing losses ever!)
in the last three years we have faced Covid and the most brutal series of injuries I have ever witnessed. Injuries that are still affecting us, I believe, in more ways than just the injuries themselves. Meanwhile, not only has a new, very formidable power risen in the women’s game, but the talent level throughout the country has gone off the charts. Now, that power has been joined by another one featuring a long time coaching foe in a new location. Additionally, we are seeing more and more great players going to schools that five or ten years ago, would not even have recruited them. This results in games like our last one where a very talented player goes off at the same time that her team happens to play their game of the year! This will, I believe, happen more and more often!
I do believe Geno has lost a step but he’s still plenty good enough to win! The problem is that we are no longer head & shoulders above everyone. Those days are simply over! We still have a lot of talent (as much or more than anyone) and most importantly we still have that one transcendent player! However, she needs some others to step up.
Can Geno reach back into the past and get this team to box out, to rebound, to play tough, hard nosed defense, and to recapture the will to win that has characterized so many of our great teams in the past? Can Azzi find some consistency in her shot? Can Caroline play like she did before she was so cruelly injured? Can Ice play like we all hope she can? Can Aaliyah and the rest of the team rise to the occasion? The simple answer is, I don’t know, but what I do know for sure, is that we have the talent, we have the superstar leader, and we still have a great coach in Geno! I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried but all we can do is hope that we see a completely different team on Thursday! Go Huskies!❤️

Reaction Score
Good points being made on both sides of the argument. IMO one area that bears some scrutiny is the recruiting in the years since the Stewart era which has been mixed. Granted evaluating kids is always a crapshoot and I know you can’t get them all, but some of the decisions make you wonder what Geno and staff were thinking.

GG

Reaction Score

He still has it and I will be excited to see what he does with this team by the end of the year. The one thing I have observed is that some of his players seem to play a little tentative during big games. I am not certain if that’s just the type of player he recruits, or if they are nervous to make a mistake and get pulled from the game.

Reaction Score
I think since you laid it out there, I will be brutally honest too. I mean no disrespect to anyone when I say this but I do believe it to be manifestly true. I think it’s fair to say that, while Geno is obviously a great coach, he also won most of the 11 titles because he had three transcendent players. Dee, Maya, and Stewie! Now he would have won some even without those three but they were the prime force for probably 9 of them. You mentioned that he has recruited many other top five players as well. This is true and a number of those were #1 ranked players. The brutal reality though is that (again, no disrespect intended) none of those other #1s were at the level of the three I just mentioned. They were not the kind of player who picked the entire team up and carried them to the title. They ranged from very good to great but they simply did not have what the Three had. To be fair, Dee had Sue and other very good players for her first, and then showed with her final two titles, why she is generally acknowledged as the GOAT. Maya had Tina and other greats as well. Stewie had Mo and Morgan.
The truth is that since Stewie, Paige has been the only truly transcendent player he’s been able to get. All others #1s - 5s have been good enough to keep us at a high level but not good enough to break down the gate and take the castle. There were a couple of teams, 2017 & 2018 that could have won but were derailed (not by bad luck but perhaps by a lack of good luck at a crucial moment) at the Final Four. This is not to say we should have won but only that we could have. Even two years ago, does anyone doubt that we could possibly have beaten SC in the title game had we been completely healthy Or that we would likely have beaten Stanford had we not had a letdown against Arizona? (Still one of the most disappointing losses ever!)
in the last three years we have faced Covid and the most brutal series of injuries I have ever witnessed. Injuries that are still affecting us, I believe, in more ways than just the injuries themselves. Meanwhile, not only has a new, very formidable power risen in the women’s game, but the talent level throughout the country has gone off the charts. Now, that power has been joined by another one featuring a long time coaching foe in a new location. Additionally, we are seeing more and more great players going to schools that five or ten years ago, would not even have recruited them. This results in games like our last one where a very talented player goes off at the same time that her team happens to play their game of the year! This will, I believe, happen more and more often!
I do believe Geno has lost a step but he’s still plenty good enough to win! The problem is that we are no longer head & shoulders above everyone. Those days are simply over! We still have a lot of talent (as much or more than anyone) and most importantly we still have that one transcendent player! However, she needs some others to step up.
Can Geno reach back into the past and get this team to box out, to rebound, to play tough, hard nosed defense, and to recapture the will to win that has characterized so many of our great teams in the past? Can Azzi find some consistency in her shot? Can Caroline play like she did before she was so cruelly injured? Can Ice play like we all hope she can? Can Aaliyah and the rest of the team rise to the occasion? The simple answer is, I don’t know, but what I do know for sure, is that we have the talent, we have the superstar leader, and we still have a great coach in Geno! I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried but all we can do is hope that we see a completely different team on Thursday! Go Huskies!❤️
Have mercy on your readers. Paragraphs please. Oops. I see you did. But, if you can space between your paragraphs, it is more merciful to us old folks reading on our phones. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom