Does Dangerfield Start Tomorrow vs. LSU? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Dangerfield Start Tomorrow vs. LSU?

Does Dangerfield start tomorrow vs. LSU?

• Yes

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 118 86.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is Saniya better than Crystal Dangerfield? If so, she should start. If not, Crystal Dangerfield should start. That's how it usually works. If Saniya is working harder than Crystal Dangerfield in practice and has earned her starting spot, then fine, but I disagree that Geno is loyal to his seniors. I could make a list, and I'm sure others could too, of seniors that never got to start except on Senior Day. Not sure why people think Saniya's case should be handled differently.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
A point that I think hasn't been given due verbiage:

If you wanted to have Crystal Dangerfield get in her own head (and mess up as a result), you'd start her. You'd have her know that she's on an even bigger stage of sorts. You'd have her accept the huge responsibility for setting a game tempo before anything else is seen on the floor.

But why do this right now? There will be time for her growth and role expansion. She needs to be put in situations where she can be more consistently comfortable and successful. Start Saniya, bring Crystal Dangerfield in behind her. And yes, I know Crystal Dangerfield will soon be the pg/leader. But for now, let's let her unfold and develop her game within a slightly more "protective" battle plan. Geno isn't about to induce unnecessary drama; he's got plenty already.

Reaction Score
Unless CD is going to play 40 minutes I don't see why it matters.

It 'worked better' for one game. But at what cost?
It's going to happen sooner or later. Saniya is a solid player, and can be a brilliant offensive player. But, as a senior, is she really going to suddenly become something she hasn't been? (dependable) Is Geno's job to babysit fragile egos? At what cost? This is the big time. If Crystal is ready to step up, let her. Chong will be fine (Geno can 'manage' fragile egos, plus I'm not sure she's as fragile as everyone thinks - she's survived 3 years on the extreme "Geno" end of the spectrum and keeps coming back for more...)

Well, I'm in the 11% minority here, so I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
A point that I think hasn't been given due verbiage:

If you wanted to have Crystal Dangerfield get in her own head (and mess up as a result), you'd start her. You'd have her know that she's on an even bigger stage of sorts. You'd have her accept the huge responsibility for setting a game tempo before anything else is seen on the floor.

But why do this right now? There will be time for her growth and role expansion. She needs to be put in situations where she can be more consistently comfortable and successful. Start Saniya, bring Crystal Dangerfield in behind her. And yes, I know Crystal Dangerfield will soon be the pg/leader. But for now, let's let her unfold and develop her game within a slightly more "protective" battle plan. Geno isn't about to induce unnecessary drama; he's got plenty already.
Crystal Dangerfield's been on the big stage before. This isn't her first rodeo, and she said as much post-game. For a freshman she was pretty matter of fact about the whole Baylor game and her performance like what are you all getting excited about this is my job and is what I do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, but it's not about Chong, it's about Crystal Dangerfield. Too much pressure to be the starting point guard. Better to let her ease into it. Geno has traditionally taken this approach and it has paid dividends for him.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How come no one considered poor Heather Buck's feelings during her senior season when she was not named an automatic starter simply because of how long she had been at UConn?
Mainly because, with the exception of one game vs. Baylor and Griner, Heather was colossally unproductive when she was on the floor. Saniya dropped in 16 points her first game and played solidly in the 2nd game.

Reaction Score
Is Saniya better than Crystal Dangerfield? If so, she should start. If not, Crystal Dangerfield should start. That's how it usually works. If Saniya is working harder than Crystal Dangerfield in practice and has earned her starting spot, then fine, but I disagree that Geno is loyal to his seniors. I could make a list, and I'm sure others could too, of seniors that never got to start except on Senior Day. Not sure why people think Saniya's case should be handled differently.

See
Pam Webber (sales)
Amy Duran (Ralph)

Reaction Score
Crystal will start tomorrow, the offense runs 100 percent better with her on the floor. Kia has really struggled in both games, maybe because she has been playing in a situation where she is not at all comfortable. Crystal is the only point guard on the roster, The more she plays the better our Huskies are going to be.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield's been on the big stage before. This isn't her first rodeo, and she said as much post-game. For a freshman she was pretty matter of fact about the whole Baylor game and her performance like what are you all getting excited about this is my job and is what I do.

No fuss here. But don't we already know that what a player sees or says isn't always quite the way Geno sees it? I don't care who he starts, I was just trying to add a new angle to the discussion. Crystal Dangerfield looks like she may become quite the player; I respect that. But, expecting too much, too often, and too soon can be troublesome for athletes. End of sermonette.

Reaction Score
I just don't see what the gain is by starting Dangerfield at this point, except to damage Chong's confidence. And as some have said, Saniya has played well in spots, especially in the FSU game. Dangerfield provides incredible energy off the bench. IMHO, unless Saniya starts becoming a liability, she should start and Dangerfield should be first in.

Apropos of nothing, I sure hope to see more of Bent and Irwin in the next game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
?...I sure hope to see more of Bent and Irwin in the next game.

I think you have lots of fellow travelers on that notion. I'd bet that we see them a little more when we get to conference play (versus the lesser of the AAC teams at first). I like those kids.

Reaction Score
I base my statement above that Geno's loyal to his upperclassmen, by the starting of Carolyn Doty her senior year where it was quite evident to all that her knee surgeries had taken away 80 to 85% of her game! And to a lesser effect Geno's "feverish need" for senior Renee Montgomery to get her National Championship that led to the Finals pregame Jeff Jacobs article that Renee concluded it by saying, "For the early years I didn't understand him and now I love him!" Which drove Geno to tears and walking away from the press!
Geno can start Saniya and play her 12 to 15 minutes with Crystal Dangerfield playing 28 to 25 minutes including crunch time!
And vowelguy is right above adding Pam Webber and Amy Duran to the list of seniors that got preferential treatment from Geno!

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Start Saniya. Crystal sub at about 5 minute mark for Chong, Kia, or Gabby, especially if any of those three pick up 2 quick fouls.

Ditto Nat for Pheesa, maybe Gabby.

Reaction Score
No, not yet. Saniya will continue to start and we could use the points and energy off the bench. This could also crush Saniya.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great discussion on pros & cons of starting Danger vs Saniya. Later today all of us will know exactly what Geno thinks about this subject.

One point that has not been discussed is the slow start of UConn on the offensive side in the 1st 2 games. Geno lamented this fact in his post game presser after Baylor. Obviously, when you're missing Stewie, Tuck & Mo, offense will be more of a challenge. In both games UConn's offense was better in the 2nd half, and during the 4th qtr of the Baylor game it started to look a lot like UCONN OFFENSE.

I have to believe that Geno wants to open up the floor and see a much better offensive flow from the opening tip. I don't think he wants to wait 5-10 minutes, or the entire 1st half for the Huskies to get in sync. IMO, the best way to open up the floor and get the offense flowing from the opening tip is by starting Danger.

Reaction Score
In my low opinion, S Chong is not a point guard and does not seem to run the offense very well. She is a pure shooter and should be a shooter for the Team. I would like to see Chong shooting more 3's and driving the basket. From what I saw in the first two games, Crystal seems to steady the team and gets everyone involved distributing the ball fairly well. She will certainly get better at this as time goes by.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think that any objective observer would have to call Saniya's game against FSU as at least semi-brilliant. 16 points, 6/6 shooting, six assists, zero turnovers. Hardly the kind of performance that gets you benched. As to who starts, performance in practice is certainly a criterion, but psychological manipulations of the players (for their own good, of course!;)) also enters into it. Geno the Master Manipulator is not about to lock himself into any simple and consistent algorithm.

Reaction Score
Does it not depend on who looks the best at practice?
Likely depends more on defense than offense. Was impressed with Dangerfield's quickness and ability to stop defender from going to basket.

Reaction Score
A wrinkle you may see Geno use is to start Natalie for about 4 minutes and then bring Gabby in. She (Gabby) can not continue getting early fouls. Most likely won't happen, but it would not shock me. Gotta change her mojo up!
Interesting idea-but probably not.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Not yet for me either. LSU should be a blow out but dont forget this is a young team. We will see after the last 2 big games how they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom