Does CUSA survive? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does CUSA survive?

Reaction Score
Marshall is a program that is fascinating
Although the media deal sucked they made money on football. We should send a team down to study how they do it.
Their stadium holds 30k and for 21 years they averaged 26k per game
They also average 5.4K per game in basketball. That’s more than a bunch of AAC and some Big East teams.
Yet they were passed over
Bad media market?
That’s a possible MAC add.
They were already in the MAC. Twice. 1953-69. 1997-2005.

Reaction Score
They were already in the MAC. Twice. 1953-69. 1997-2005.
Three a charm Nov 14 1970 was when the football team was killed in a plane crash?
The second time they left they were dominating (5of 8 titles )the MAC and CUSA was the best non major conference.
Than the Big East was destroyed and the AAC took CUSA programs to fill in.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
No, because I believe that MTSU and WKU will join the MAC. Liberty, UConn, UMass, and Army aren't interested in C-USA.
Someone posted on CSNBBS that you need to have 8 full non-transitional all sports members. They would not because the process would take too long.

Reaction Score
Basically says would be shocked if UConn or UMass went to CUSA. UConn more-so just because we are happy with our schedule (AD & players). UMass could consider since they don't have same brand power to get same schedule but still unlikely.

Reaction Score
The move of Abilene C, Lamar, Sam Houston, & SFA to the WAC was widely seen as the 1st step in returning FBS football to the league, joining existing member NMSU.

So even if Tarleton is going FBS, is it worth it to move to a fragile C-USA or just wait for the WAC (with possibly 5 in-state rivals) to get there?
I’m putting my money down on “the WAC basically uses the carcass of CUSA to move up to FBS en masse and shift their overall timeline up a few years”.

Reaction Score
I’m putting my money down on “the WAC basically uses the carcass of CUSA to move up to FBS en masse and shift their overall timeline up a few years”.

That's not the way this works.

AS AAC started making noises, Bowlsby (B12 Commish) sent the lawyers in. B12 had the leverage. When the CUSA talked about the regional collaboration; the AAC leverage with the existing contract (schools getting nearly $7m) was overwhelming to the CUSA 6 who make about $500k. The NEW WAC? No TV dollars - to speak of (versus some streaming etc for the CUSA). And the transition of FOUR YEARS to FBS. Yup. CUSA can grab Tarleton and Sam Houston (who are going through year ONE of the transition); then expect with NM State ... they are running a 8-10 spot league for 3 years with Sam Houston/Tarleton etc gearing up. The WAC would have about 6 transition and no money.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The way things are going we are going to have 200 FBS teams any day now.
Maybe another split happens like in the early 80s. 100 teams make the cut. The P5, MW, AAC, Sun Belt, UConn, Army, Liberty make the cut. NMSU, UMass, MAC, C-USA don't.

Reaction Score
That's not the way this works.

AS AAC started making noises, Bowlsby (B12 Commish) sent the lawyers in. B12 had the leverage. When the CUSA talked about the regional collaboration; the AAC leverage with the existing contract (schools getting nearly $7m) was overwhelming to the CUSA 6 who make about $500k. The NEW WAC? No TV dollars - to speak of (versus some streaming etc for the CUSA). And the transition of FOUR YEARS to FBS. Yup. CUSA can grab Tarleton and Sam Houston (who are going through year ONE of the transition); then expect with NM State ... they are running a 8-10 spot league for 3 years with Sam Houston/Tarleton etc gearing up. The WAC would have about 6 transition and no money.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If there's a split, aint no way the P5 is taking anyone else with them.
They did 40 years ago, and they will need someone to beat on.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I keep going back and forth on this, but ultimately I believe that C-USA will survive as an FBS conference for several reasons:

1) FBS conference status itself- this gives teams a small slimmer of hope of playing in a 12-team CFP; unlikely, but small

2) The exit fees- dissolving the conference will result in the loss of substantial exit fees

3) The schools will have no where else to go (more on that in a bit)

4) I've changed my tune on this too- I don't think the MAC is taking both of WKU and MTSU; I think the only way WKU bolts is if UMass raises their hand, and I have a feeling they won't

This would leave five schools: MTSU, WKU, FIU, UTEP, and LaTech. The conference only needs three more to survive.

NMSU is an easy yes. That is six. Liberty, UConn, UMass, and Army aren't interested in an all-sports invite, and only UMass might be interested in a football-only invite, but that doesn't help C-USA.

At this point, the conference will probably go to 10-12 to create some sort of stability. I think the key to making it halfway successful is adding programs that fill in the center of the map. The deep south is loaded with FBS programs. You don't need more. Cross off Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia.

Keep in mind, there are no FCS programs in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska so adding Dakota schools is too far of a land bridge.
So here is who I think would help the cause:

1. Missouri State
2. Central Arkansas
3. Sam Houston State
4. Tarleton State
5. Stephen F. Austin
6. Northern Colorado

West: UNC, TSU, SFA, SHSU, NMSU, UTEP
East: MSU, UCA, WKU, MTSU, FIU, LaTech

Reaction Score
$36 million is the number on the Exit Fees - published to CUSA. That can buy a lot. Maybe the Independents - shoot, New Mexico State is an easy one. They are a short drive to UTEP.

The other thing: recent NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FCS schools App State, ULM, Arkansas State, Georgia Southern are now gonna be joined by James Madison. Add a very up and coming Coastal Carolina. Maybe Sam Houston. You are not gonna want to remain in FCS. Who else thinks like James Madison? North Dakota State. Would Delaware want to compete if the whole thing is diminishing in quality; if they were the only one with the $30m Practice Facility and everyone else is under a geo-tent. Chattanooga has a FBS quality stadium like Delaware.

The Dakota's - you might be talking South Dakota + North Dakota State add Northern Iowa and the leap to Northern Colorado + Missouri State isn't far. There is one great reason for the Bobby Petrino entry: the number 2 Program in a great sizeable state

The Exit Fees is what puts the lie to sportswriter Dennis Dodd. These programs get $500k a year in rights fees; $36m is a whole lotta more than $500k ... and enough to twinkle the eye of the losing Middle Tennessee, FIU, Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, UTEP coffers.

Reaction Score
Having gone through the uncertainty of your conference falling apart around you . I have empathy for the staff and fans of these teams. It sucks
I know people blame the AAC for our woes however the other options at the time were worse. If the Big East disbanded
The New Big East didn’t invite us to their party as we had an FSB football team which was poison to them.
The only other options were A10 for basketball and Indy for football
Indy for BB and Football
Don’t laugh we probably could have made more money than some options
MAC for all sports
CUSA for all sports
We keep the program afloat with Former Big East money

Reaction Score
Marshall is a program that is fascinating
Although the media deal sucked they made money on football. We should send a team down to study how they do it.
Their stadium holds 30k and for 21 years they averaged 26k per game
They also average 5.4K per game in basketball. That’s more than a bunch of AAC and some Big East teams.
Yet they were passed over
Bad media market?
That’s a possible MAC add.

Even better, a possible add for a Northeastern G5 level football only conference.

Reaction Score
I'm glad we are going to Clemson. A Vandy or Old Miss from the SEC. Indiana, Illinois, Purdue. But that is the extra OOC. We are best with 6 or 7 northeastern FBS. And Army Navy. If the FCS CAA rises, we have a better structure; maybe a bowl someday. We have our winters with 10 foot baskets.

Reaction Score

Another one bites the dust...paging Marshall, you're on the clock
JMU to FBS? I wonder who will join FBS...I don't think it's the last school to go FBS...

I heard Goodwill College bought U of Bridgeport, so I wonder if they will have athletics soon...

Reaction Score
As we reflect on the ultimate death of this conference let’s remember it was arguably the 6th best football conference in the country after the Big East fell apart 2012/13
If the Big East/AAC was destroyed in 2013 which was the plan,
and the C7 didn’t want us . I’m not convinced we were a slam dunk at that time. As we were blindsided by the departure.
CUSA was a possible alternative Marshall had left the MAC for CUSA because it was more competitive. They won 5-8 championships In the MAC .
However CUSA had 14 teams and there were three Big East refugees
1. Would they have expanded to 16 and what 2 teams do they take. USF and Cinncy fit better but I believe there was bad blood between UCF and USF so they’re not a given.
The only other options we had were
A10 basketball and Indy football
MAC all sports / Although I believe Temple was A10 for all sports except football which was in the MAC.
That’s another possibility.
I think the younger people on the board don’t appreciate our situation in 2013.

Reaction Score
Honestly had never heard of Tarleton until this thread. Wow, that's digging deep.
Recently moved up from D2. One of a zillion public unis in TX -- has 14k students now and will surely grow.

Reaction Score
UNC Charlotte. UT San Antonio. Florida Atlantic. Coastal Carolina. None of them had football until recently. The first 3 (certainly the first 2) are in Metroplex not served by College Football or College Sport - really. Tarleton actually had football for decades and the school started in the 1880s or so. The key thing there: they are part of the Texas A&M system. UTSA & UTEP and UT Arlington are part of the UT system. It is truly Texas mindset; Texas arrogance ... to explain that the Tarleton strength is that A&M truly wants its branch schools to be as full bodied non-commuter as the UT schools. So while Tarleton may not have the budget of Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina today; they are nudged along in this aspirational reach by the truly deep A&M resources. Oil. Texas Tea.

The other point: unlike the myriad other schools that may want to reach up to FBS status; Tarleton is 45 minutes to 1 hour to major points in the Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex. As we have seen with Aresco, the realignment wheel spins for this kind of market access.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom