Does Cole have a COVID eligibility year available to him next season or is he done? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Cole have a COVID eligibility year available to him next season or is he done?

Reaction Score
Maybe. There are only seven players Hurley currently trusts, and two of them will be gone no matter what. So if we're going to be much better next year, we will still need much better play than we're getting from people other than Cole, Martin, Jackson, Hawkins and Sanogo, and with Polley gone we'll need at least one of players coming into the rotation to be able to shoot from the outside.
Players improve.

Reaction Score
Players improve.

Of course they do. I'm not saying they won't. Frankly, I expect to see Johnson and Diggins in the rotation next year. Akok and Gaffney, who knows at this point. But my point remains you can't count on anyone contributing at this level until you see they can do it, and even with Martin next year THE RISK remains that we have even less depth than we have now.

Reaction Score
Isn’t Cole already a super, super senior, if he comes back next year is he super super super senior. Do I have this all correct.
Not really. Remember he transferred to UConn and sat out a year. This is his 4th year of playing college basketball in a 5 year window. He gets next year if he wants it since last season didn't count as a year of playing.

Reaction Score
Can Cole break into the top 10 nationally in career points if he comes back? That might be an incentive.

Reaction Score
How much can he make in Europe? Maybe a couple million total over 7ish years, if he lasts that long? And the lifestyle surrounding that income ain’t great.

Compare that to what he could make off NIL in the States with a deep run next year… and Europe isn’t going anywhere anyway…

Reaction Score
Can Cole break into the top 10 nationally in career points if he comes back? That might be an incentive.
He would have to score 3009 to pass Hersey Hawkins for 10th place all time. Certainly possible, but would require a deep tourney run, or two.

Reaction Score
His career point total should surpass that of UConn all time leader Chris Smith next game. Smith scored 2145 points at UConn. Cole is currently at 2143 combined points at Howard and UConn.
Realize, however, that about 1500 of those points came while playing for Howard.
Smitty did his number in 127 games in BE.. How many games has RJ played Howard/UConn?

Reaction Score
Players improve.
Some do, but some don’t. If one particular player actually improved we wouldn’t be having the conversation about how badly we need Cole to come back for another year.

Reaction Score
Depends what he wants to do. Pro opportunity and for how much? Whaley and polley had nowhere to play. What’s Cole’s major? It would be his sixth year of college. That‘s A lot of school.

Reaction Score
Depends what he wants to do. Pro opportunity and for how much? Whaley and polley had nowhere to play. What’s Cole’s major? It would be his sixth year of college. That‘s A lot of school.
Most people who go for their masters are in school for 6 years. He graduated with a BA in economics last May but I don't know what degree in what subject matter he's pursuing right now.

Reaction Score
Not really. Remember he transferred to UConn and sat out a year. This is his 4th year of playing college basketball in a 5 year window. He gets next year if he wants it since last season didn't count as a year of playing.
Ok so if he does return he’s a super super senior, 5th yr sr makes him a super senior. I wonder what the record is can’t be beyond 6 years.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think having Cole back another year sets us up nice for the transition to the Sool / Castle years - I’m not sure we’re ready with another PG for next year.

Reaction Score
Ok so if he does return he’s a super super senior, 5th yr sr makes him a super senior. I wonder what the record is can’t be beyond 6 years.
No, he's a redshirt senior. Super seniors are players who would be gone but for the COVID exemption. And the answer to your question is that around the country there will be plenty of players who redshirted one year and then play five because of the COVID exemption.

Reaction Score
Most people who go for their masters are in school for 6 years. He graduated with a BA in economics last May but I don't know what degree in what subject matter he's pursuing right now.
Let's think like a young adult. If he wants his master's paid for, then I get that, could use it to his advantage. I guess it will depend on a lot of factors between he and his life goals.

Here is the thing I think everyone has to understand-- he is a grown man now. He isn't a kid, he isn't immature. Does he want to hang out with 18-year old freshmen?

Does he want to play hoops, get yelled at, have a curfew, watch what he eats and works out in a college environment?

What happens if he just wants some cash in his pocket and go on trip to the Caribbean and eat high-carb foods and drink beer?

I don't even know if he wants to play professionally.

On the flip side, you can never get college back. Pro aspirations? No idea how Europe has opened after Covid, he might not have those opportunities, might not have a job, and says life is good lets give it one more try.

But, sometimes people do have to move on.

Reaction Score
Let's think like a young adult. If he wants his master's paid for, then I get that, could use it to his advantage. I guess it will depend on a lot of factors between he and his life goals.

Here is the thing I think everyone has to understand-- he is a grown man now. He isn't a kid, he isn't immature. Does he want to hang out with 18-year old freshmen?

Does he want to play hoops, get yelled at, have a curfew, watch what he eats and works out in a college environment?

What happens if he just wants some cash in his pocket and go on trip to the Caribbean and eat high-carb foods and drink beer?

I don't even know if he wants to play professionally.

On the flip side, you can never get college back. Pro aspirations? No idea how Europe has opened after Covid, he might not have those opportunities, might not have a job, and says life is good lets give it one more try.

But, sometimes people do have to move on.
He is not just going to stop playing basketball. Stop with the nonsense.

Reaction Score

The second option is not even remotely who he is or what he's about. Cole is not the kind of kid for whom self-discipline or playing for a hardass coach is a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom