Does Aaron Nesmith give Tyler Polley hope for the draft? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Aaron Nesmith give Tyler Polley hope for the draft?

Reaction Score
He has size and NBA three point range
Strength and Confidence weee his biggest weaknesses
If he could make a leap there and shoot over 40% from the three round 2 is possible.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Without the postseason it went under the radar, but he quietly had one of the best statistical seasons in the last few years. He's old and his measurements are below average (but not terrible), but it's not the worst pick in the late 20s.
Best pick since Wally Szerbiack

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Celtics picked the 6-6, 215 pounder with #14. He shot 39% and 52% from the arc in his two seasons at Vandy.

Tyler is 6-9, 215 with 41%, 38% and 40% from the arc in his first three years. Moving that percentage just a wee bit north makes for a nice comparison. Both are very good spot up shooters and Polley has been very good coming off screens with just a little space. Tyler probably has to pick up his over all game. His two point shooting, especially from close in, could be better as could his rebounding.

But this is not an impossible ask. Push the 3-point percentage over 45. Add a few more boards. He really seemed to be coming into his own when he was hurt last year. This is his last go around. Not the time to hold anything back. #14 is probably too high. But a great season could get him into round one. Would love to see it.

No. Nesmith is vastly better at every phase of the game. He's an NBA shooting guard. Polley can't dribble, doesn't defend quick wings very well, is a horrible rebounder and can't create his own shot. Why do we make these comparisons?

If you are still not sure, think about Daniel Hamilton. Much better player for UConn than Polley. Brilliant passer, good rebounder, solid handle, quality shooter, more athletic. He did play in a few NBA games. Hung around the G league and is now in Turkey.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Yeah he may get some invites for a look due to his length and shooting but I think his destiny lies with teams overseas where he can probably make a comfortable living.

Although Hilty was pretty pedestrian for 3 years then became a lottery pick his senior year and I believe is still playing in Japan so I guess anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Do watch the games. Polley is a plus defender.

No he is not. The staff tries to hide him on defense as much as they can, and he still gets worked. He is a lousy defender at this level - he'll be absolutely unplayable as a defender in the NBA.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Imagine missing the point his badly while being this condescending

Too many posters, saying our players have no shot at reaching their professional goals.

Reaction Score
WSU's McDuffie was considered on of the best scorers in the league when Polley shut him down.

But that's not the point. I made two points. I did not say he was as good or a better overall player than Nesmith. But first, Nesmith going at #14 should give him hope. Second, the NBA likes tall 3-point shooters who can spot up and hit off out screens. Tyler Phommachanh does both. I also said that he needs to improve his three point and two point percentages to get into the draft.

I said he is capable of doing this. That's not delusional. Players improve. He will get a look from scouts because you cannot teach shooters to be 6-9.

pj

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count Polley out if he can keep developing, but his first task is to be a rotation player and/or starter at UConn. Can he beat out 19-year-old Andre Jackson, Tyrese Martin, Brendan Adams, and Akok Akok for playing time? If he succeeds at that then we can think about whether he can beat out NBA players.

Reaction Score
WSU's McDuffie was considered on of the best scorers in the league when Polley shut him down.

But that's not the point. I made two points. I did not say he was as good or a better overall player than Nesmith. But first, Nesmith going at #14 should give him hope. Second, the NBA likes tall 3-point shooters who can spot up and hit off out screens. Tyler Phommachanh does both. I also said that he needs to improve his three point and two point percentages to get into the draft.

I said he is capable of doing this. That's not delusional. Players improve. He will get a look from scouts because you cannot teach shooters to be 6-9.
I think the biggest obstacle keeping him from the NBA will be the downgrade in competition from leaving the AAC

Reaction Score

Improving at age 22 doesn't impress NBA scouts. Most of the dumb GMs are out of the league. You have to basically be the NCAA player of the year at age 22 to get drafted. Polley would have to improve substantially in rounding out his game to just be at the level that Nesmith was at age 20. He can't time travel. It's just not a thing that can happen.

Duncan Robinson wasn't drafted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rashard Anderson was a better shooter, and certainly a more reliable one. Polley is a very good shooter but not a great shooter. If he we're to add some slashing, dunks and deadly mid-range game to his offense he would have a better shot. But to be considered and labeled as an NBA shooter, I don't see it.

As for NBA shooters, those Miami Heat kids set the bar even higher, to me.

Reaction Score

As much as I agree that he has 1 skill that is deemed useful as an end of the bench guy in the NBA, teams like 6’9 snipers for sure. Problem is that he’s a 5’10 sniper in a 6’9 body. He doesn’t play big w/ shooting ability

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Without the postseason it went under the radar, but he quietly had one of the best statistical seasons in the last few years. He's old and his measurements are below average (but not terrible), but it's not the worst pick in the late 20s.

6-2 is not below average. The 6-4.5 isn’t ideal. But not bad.

and he can shoot.

Reaction Score
Hey guys,

Tyler Polley has a chance to change my mind about his game this season & be successful. But we can't talk about next level with him until he shows he can do "anything" consistently at this level, beyond the Tulane game.

Because to this point, Tyler Polley's career at UConn has been fool's gold. I'm glad his hard work in recovering from a serious knee injury will give him the chance to shine this year (whenever that is) - & to become a better, more reliable teammate.

We look at Tyler's stand-still corner shot mechanics, his height, wingspan, length & mobility & Tyler definitely entices. His shooting stats look very good. However, Tyler's shots per game are a big disappointment in such a supposed great shooter. He never moves to demand the ball! He's very soft in that way. Too many times, he simply disappears on the court.

But can Polley release off the move well? Or dribble beyond two dribbles to finish at the rim or at least avoid a turnover? Or regulary make a jump hook in the paint after the defense comes out on him?

Can anyone remember Tyler, the shooter, taking over a game like Rashad Anderson or The Poughkeepsie Popper did many times with unconscious shot-making? Or, creating a play for a teammate? Ever remember Tyler making more than three shots in a row from distance before being pulled for defensive or floor spacing mistakes or a lack of aggressive toughness on D or rebounding?

What Polley's physical promise hides is a guy who does NOT play with heart. And so far, he hasn't shown a willingness to learn the intangibles either ( ever see Tyler on the floor?). You cannot rely on him for toughness or D. He runs away from the paint & the action, & cannot rebound in a crowd or dribble along the baseline for an emphatic dunk. He's a poor two-legged jumper. He only guards occasionally. Worse, he has shown little consistency for effort.

I hope I'm wrong about this young man, but if I were his teammate & he came into a game, I'd say, "OK, Mr. Promises, Show Me Some Passion for the Game!"

Fatha

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Polley definitely has an NBA chance. He has similar qualities to Duncan Robinson. This year will be key.

Ty knows what time it is.

PS: Polley is the best 3 point shooter at his size in college basketball right now.

the Q

Reaction Score
Polley definitely has an NBA chance. He has similar qualities to Duncan Robinson. This year will be key.

Ty knows what time it is.

PS: Polley is the best 3 point shooter at his size in college basketball right now.

There’s a reason there are so few Duncan Robinson’s.

That doesn’t even get into that I don’t know what pulleys wingspan is.

But his absolute lock of blocks and steals are an issue (usually you want 2 total blocks and steals combined, in some combo) as is his abhorrent rebounding for a stretch 4, which is what he’d probably need to be at the next level.

I think he’s become underrated as a college player, and he should do really well for himself in Europe where his frame is less of an issue.

But Nesmith is not the right comp for him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Too many posters, saying our players have no shot at reaching their professional goals.

Myles Powell went undrafted. I don’t know what Tyler’s professional goals are, but if they include a career in the NBA somebody should perhaps help him set more realistic goals.

the Q

Reaction Score
Myles Powell went undrafted. I don’t know what Tyler’s professional goals are, but if they include a career in the NBA somebody should perhaps help him set more realistic goals.

Powell lacks NBA size and athleticism (apparently).

Much easier to make it work like a Robinson type.

That being said, I wish Powell had become a husky (obviously).

But being a great college player doesn’t mean NBA success. Many of these guys who are steals (especially udfas) were not great college players.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Powell lacks NBA size and athleticism (apparently).

Much easier to make it work like a Robinson type.

That being said, I wish Powell had become a husky (obviously).

But being a great college player doesn’t mean NBA success. Many of these guys who are steals (especially udfas) were not great college players.

I get that. But Polley is perhaps the 7th best NBA prospect on this UConn roster. Maybe.

the Q

Reaction Score
I get that. But Polley is perhaps the 7th best NBA prospect on this UConn roster. Maybe.

oh yeah. I don’t think polley makes it without some improvements.

just that comparisons need to be more on point.

Using Powell is kind of like saying vital won’t make it because mike sweetney didn’t make it in the NBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom